improved Photoshop import

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

hayasidist

improved Photoshop import

Post by hayasidist »

The facility to import all the individual layers from a photoshop file is great. but - arrrrrggghhhhh - the reference in the AS doc seems to be to the sequence number of visible layers (from 0 and the bottom) and not to the layer name!! PLEASE could you use layer names?

it would also be **really** useful to allow layers to be imported one by one: e.g. I've added a new (say) mouth shape (in the middle of the layer hierarchy!) so I'd realy like to import (only) that layer into my AS switch ... (and so next time when I reload I get it plus the "old" layers in the AS doc)

and/or ideally please can we have a bit more "intelligence" on PS file reload: e.g. "layer X" is in the PS file, but not in the AS doc, so add it to the group that has the layers? "layer Y" is referenced in the AS doc but is not in the PS file so use the "locate missing media concept" to find a "replacement" layer in the PS doc (or delete the reference to the layer)?
synthsin75

Re: improved Photoshop import

Post by synthsin75 »

Sorry I didn't post earlier. I just now remembered seeing this thread while I was at work.

http://www.kelleytown.com/forum/animato ... PIC_ID=760

"Update/relink PSD files, including adding layers added to the PSD since importing. Maintains PSD layer hierarchy with groups and blend modes (except for bottommost layer which will be set to normal). Imports all layers in the PSD, visible or not. "

This script should solve most of your problems. It uses layer names, so the PSD cannot have duplicate layer names. New layers added in the PSD will be imported by running the script again. I beleive the script also has code to delete layers missing in the PSD (you just have to uncomment the code).

Post on the AnimatorsForum with any questions.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

:oops: now why didn't I think to look there first!!?? Thanks Wes!

BUT ... if it's scriptable then, Smith Micro, into core product please
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yes, MC could do it better (as he used to work for Adobe), as I had to make to educated guesses about the PS file format.