Live Puppetry Toolset Needed

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Re: Live Puppetry Toolset Needed

Post by DK »

Hi Strider,
I found after a bit of practice it's no harder than playing a Playstation, Wii etc.

D.K

EDIT: Oh BTW strider2000 , You can actually slow down playback.....

Just take your framerate back to 10 fps in your project settings and that puts realtime playback into slowmotion :)
After you have finished recording, just bump it back up to 24.

Cheers
D.K
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

DK wrote:You can actually slow down playback.....
Ah ... interesting. I'll have to give it a try. One more tool to play with :)
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Interesting... might be fun to play with that toolset once it's out and about :P
"I found after a bit of practice it's no harder than playing a Playstation, Wii etc." - controller support might be fun ;) (or MIDI input)

Slowing down playback won't change the audio though will it...?
DK

Post by DK »

No, a slower playback doesn't make for slower audio unfortunately...hayasidist suggestion was to maybe use a marker system that simulated a slower audio track on the timeline. I just haven't had time to go back and play with it all again but there's progress on the way.

Cheers
D.K
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

you could export a half time (or just slower) audio track so you can work in slow motion, as long as you maintained the speed ratio, might make it all a little less 'hectic' :)
DK

Post by DK »

So if you had a playback rate of 24 fps...and slowed the playback rate to half, (12fps), you would have to slow the audio down by half as well.....Using Audacity select the change speed effect and set to -50 percent...import the track back into AS...that should do the trick.

D.K
chucky

Post by chucky »

Víctor Paredes wrote:I'm sorry, but I disagree. This is the opposite direction a software like AS should take, in my opinion. It's even disappointing for After Effects, which is an extremely cool and powerful program that could really innovate with an useful character animation feature (like the one developed by Rovio, for example). But this is something like that webcam softwares that put you a mustache and a pirate hat. It's fun to play with it, but the result is not the one you would expect from a Pro motion graphics software.
I actually disagree with Victor, Wes and Funkbro here all of whom I have the deepest respect for..
I actually agree with DK .
I think the motivation to hold this tech back is needlessly self preservational , skilled animator will always be needed and can achieve a very different look to performance capture.
It is the same argument that people gave for years about performance capture and 3d software.
It is a non argument and pushing to hold back technological advancements is not only kind of selfish ( just because 'you guys' don't want to use it) but also works against those who pose the argument.
We saw this with 3d ( think lord of the rings, hobbit , avatar , games blah blah) the more performance generated animation there is , the more room tradition animators have to make their art on things that really deserve their talents so in the end there is more and better animation that gets produced alongside captured stuff .

You guys have seen my performance experiments and I know for sure from those , that it doesn't have to look like Skype moustaches stuck on ( which I think was a bit of a cheap shot- apologies Victor :oops: ), done properly with smart bones and proper turns, with good keyframe processing, really cool stuff could be done.
Of course you will see some cheap and nasty stuff, but you get that anyway as soon as animation software is available and easy enough to use for consumers, beginners and dabblers.

I really hope that there isn't an effort to squash this kind of innovation. I find that kind of negativity really annoying and potentially destructive.
Closing here, I would just like to add the caveat , that I am responding to the topic and responses and in no way am picking arguments for the sake of it, or trolling in any way. Respect.
Cheers guys :D

Oh here's one of those old examples ( from years ago) where I used performance capture to control the spacy band members. Even the face.
I used video footage I took of them performing the song individually (in marked suits) and used the tracking in ASP and attached bones to those tracking points. Of course I would much prefer to use Kinect 2 and puppet a 3d rig with performance to a 2d rig with all the ASP benefits.
There is no way I would have had the time or budget to do this manually , plus there were far more important and fun stuff to animate in this clip. Yes, none if it is perfect but I had about six weeks to do everything , all the painting ,all the animation all the band meetings. The point is that you can tell exactly who the band members are by the way they move, not their likenesses.
I did some much more cartoony tests too, they are actually what I would love to be able to develop further, there is nothing wrong with performance capture, it's just not for everyone.
The End. :wink:

Ikinema example from web, fast forward the boring bits :)
Last edited by chucky on Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
DK

Post by DK »

Hayasidist may have some news on this thread. Stay tuned.

Cheers
D.K
chucky

Post by chucky »

Oooh tantalising , a script methinks? We could discuss it at Lenny's if it's secret?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

it's not "top secret" -- it's just a bit immature / too much at the theoretical stage ...

for some temptations take a look at my "follow curve" script (***which is NOT yet UPDATED FOR AS11***) (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25280&p=141023) and now imagine that you can draw the "curve to follow" in real time ...