how about instances?

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

BA

how about instances?

Post by BA »

While I think that in most respects Moho beats Flash to a bloody pulp, this is one feature from Flash that would increase Moho's functionality and ease of use - the concept of the instance...

Let's say I want to fill a scene with multiples of an animated object. As it is now, I would have to animate the layer before duplicating it, and wait until the animation is fully locked before copying the layer and arranging the duplicates on the screen (otherwise, if I change the animation in one layer afterwards, I'll have to reduplicate and redistribute the layers - a major pain in the ass).

With instances, you can have multiple copies of the same object, and if you do anything to the original, that change is relected in all the copies. A very useful feature!!!
Create cartoon characters and comics in minutes: www.bitstrips.com
BA

Post by BA »

*bump*

I can't believe no one agrees with me on this one...

not many flash users here, I guess...
Create cartoon characters and comics in minutes: www.bitstrips.com
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I agree. I have even mentioned this in the past, and no-one appered to agree with me either...

I use Flash on a regular basis, and 3 major things are better than Moho:

Drawing/painting tools
Use of sound
Instances
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

EY! I can't belive that I had not supported this one yet! Well, as still I said:

:arrow: ...DE-FI-NI-TE-LY! (PleAsE :))
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

If they can be instanced between scenes I put my vote on this.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

jahnocli wrote:Use of sound
...DE-FI-NI-TE-LY! (tOo :))
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

So if I understand this right (I haven't used flash) it's something like a clonelayer? That would actually be a great new layer type!
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Hiddicop wrote:So if I understand this right (I haven't used flash) it's something like a clonelayer? That would actually be a great new layer type!
I haven't used flash in several years so don't remember but in object oriented programming you can create a main object -like a lamp post- and then create multiple instances of it. These instances will usually automatically reflect any changes of the original object so if you change the color, size, orientation etc they can all change and usually you can also overide the properties for one specific instance -so you can have 20 instances of a street lamp but want one to be green instead of red. It will have all the properties of the parent except for any 'local' settings of a particular instance -at least thats how I remember it.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
Marieke

Post by Marieke »

I agree!!!!!!!!

I use instances all the time in flash. And definitely would use it in Moho if it was there!
I really miss it now...
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Not exactly a workaround... but...

I have been doing something like this in a separate file and importing it.

You still have to move imported copies into position but if you put it in a group or bone group you can just slide the layer around or master bone around after import.

Like I said... not a perfect solution but it may help someone... I would also vote for instances.

-vern
peter.h

Post by peter.h »

Yep...DEFINITELY gets my vote, as I'm so familiar with how useful they are in other apps.
:)
CartoonM!ke

Post by CartoonM!ke »

As a user of flash 8, I miss symbols/instances in Moho! It would be good if the drawing tools were easier to use. And the addition of a paintbucket tool would be welcomed.