Part-Time Stroke Reveal

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ThatsNotAllFolks

Part-Time Stroke Reveal

Post by ThatsNotAllFolks »

How about a feature where for example, if you have a character in all Black that you generally don't want strokes on, but need to reveal white strokes on it only when its arm passes in front of its torso so you can see it and maintain character readability. Strokes only reveal themselves when body parts pass in front of other body parts.

thanks
hayasidist

Re: Part-Time Stroke Reveal

Post by hayasidist »

did you get slowtiger's suggestion to work? viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28715&p=162172#p162172
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

You mean like Daffy Duck's arms, right?

I had to do that effect recently and it was kinda tricky in ASP. I basically masked reference layers of the arms that had differently colored lines using a reference of the body shape as the mask. This worked okay for the few scenes where I had to do this, but I felt it could get too complicated to use throughout a series--at least with the rigs I was animating. It should work fine for simpler characters and animation though. (I just read the thread referenced above--yes, sounds like a similar technique.)

I had a different idea using ASP's reference layers and Layer Comps but didn't have time to pursue it. It would require additional prep and compositing in post (like in Fusion or AE), but once it was set up, I felt it might work easily and reliably for most character situations.

In any case, I did want to revisit this effect later and try to come up with a better solution. Will post again if I figure it out.
ThatsNotAllFolks

Post by ThatsNotAllFolks »

hayasidist wrote:did you get slowtiger's suggestion to work? viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28715&p=162172#p162172
I had missed it until I saw this thread again...thankyou for the notice.