Features in other programs

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Poptoogi

Features in other programs

Post by Poptoogi »

Hey all!
I sent a message to Victor Paredes about this last night and wanted to share will everyone in the community and SmithMicro. A friend sent me this video and I was actually very impressed with this program. MOHO still remains ever supreme to me but I think it's important to see what the competition is doing and keep note to how MOHO can improve in the future as well. Check out some of the features or Crazytalk animator 3. It's got some cool stuff I think MOHO could use as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhqbQxS_ZcY

Has anyone used this? Version 3 doesn't look like it's out yet but it's tesselation option looks cool. I think the new smart mesh warp tool could be upgraded to do even more than it is now. It looks like they are using something simular to MOHOs sketch bones and smartwarp together!

Thoughts?
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!
synthsin75

Re: Features in other programs

Post by synthsin75 »

Aside from a motion library to animate for you, I didn't see anything Moho doesn't already do. You could even build your own motion library to paste between rigs.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

I believe forum member wizaerd uses CTA and frequently posts at the CTA forum. I'd be interested in hearing his opinion.

I got the CTA2 Pipeline edition with the intention of animating my own character designs. There is a white paper describing the process but I never completed it. Suffice to say, it's quite cumbersome. At this point in time, it's still easier for me to rig in ASP and I have more control as well.

This is a good program for creating pleasant-looking, if somewhat generic, animations with little effort. I envision their target users as teachers and business people who want to create presentation animations for work.

If CTA3 improves its ability to create and rig custom characters in a major way, it might pose some competition to ASP, but for me ASP is still a better tool for creating unique animation.
Poptoogi

Post by Poptoogi »

Yeah, it is defiantly made for a more generic experience Neeters. I also agree with you synthsin75. MOHO can to pretty much everything this program can to but some of the ways in which it functions is nice. Like the face rigging for meshes. I could see that being really useful having an interface like that with MOHO's system. Also the system in which a raster image can so easily be broken into layers is great too.

If you guys didn't know, I'm kinda a big fanboy of MOHO..... I'm not trying to compare the programs as to one being better than the other. I just want MOHO to keep improving to be the best in every area it touches. One way to do that is look at what other programs are doing and compare. It's not an "us vs. them" thing. I just think it's good for any company to observe and learn from others.
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I just don't see the "create animations for you" route being good for Moho, but people could easily start sharing animation motion libraries. And the good news is that Moho can easily break raster images into parts, rig faces for smart bone controlled meshes, etc..
Poptoogi

Post by Poptoogi »

Nice! Is there a new way of breaking apart images Synth? I've been using either masking (but I don't like that it keeps the whole image in the layer) or just chopping them up in another program. I'm still not fully versed in MOHO 12 yet. To be honest I'm still learning stuff about AS11! :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

guyver93 wrote:Nice! Is there a new way of breaking apart images Synth? I've been using either masking (but I don't like that it keeps the whole image in the layer) or just chopping them up in another program. I'm still not fully versed in MOHO 12 yet. To be honest I'm still learning stuff about AS11! :)
The new smart warp mesh clips the image to the defined area. You generally do need a copy of the image layer for each part, but no need for extra masking groups or external programs. You can even do multiple parts on one image layer, as long as they don't overlap in the original image. And then you can animate shape order for which part is above the other when you do animate overlap.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Yeah, only downside is hard edges... but it can work in a pinch :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, you do need a lot of edge points for a clean looking clipping.