Interface Preferences

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ScottR

Post by ScottR »

LostMarble Wrote:
The tool and style windows were not resized in that picture. However, that is a picture of a 1280x1024 screen, so it may not look exactly like yours. Here's an example of a 1024x768 screen - the tool and style windows are exactly the same size, but things are crammed in a little tighter:
My screen size is 1024x768 and the Moho screens do not open like that, even if I click on arrange in the windows menu.

This is how Moho opens.

This is how Moho looks after clicking on arrange in the windows menu.
The main design window is under all that mess somewhere. Oh yeh, the styles window is hidden by the tool pallet window and the tool pallet window is the one with all of the cool trails from all of the other pallet windows.

These are screen shots of the tool and styles pallets only.
I can't even get to all of the features in the style pallet. Did I mention that the tool pallet and the styles pallet windows size can't be adjusted?

I only have the trial version of Moho 5 and I haven't been able to work with any of the tutorials as my display screen is a mess. I'm sure that Moho could prove to be a very good program if the pallet windows could be organized better.

Thanks
ScottR
Postality

Post by Postality »

You got to be kidding. The old method of menus and such being stuck to the main window is a MAJOR drawback in what you're able to do.

When I fullscreen my work area now I can get a FULL work area on what I'm doing, it's beautiful.

by looking at those screenshots something is DEFINATELY wrong. Looks like some glitch or virus or something messing things up.

The new moho interface is a dream come true, and I would bank my money on the majority liking it, esspecially for pruduction time.
Anime Studio - Ultimate Game Graphics
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

i agree, scotts comp must be low on ram or something, why are windows tracing like that =/

Moho 5 even works on my gf's crappy pentium 1, onboard graphics, HP machine.
ScottR

Post by ScottR »

Not low on ram, I'm running 512 but, I reinstalled Windows XP and used NTFS this time around and Moho 5 works great now, all pallets open as they should.

Thanks for listening

ScottR
Postality

Post by Postality »

Good to hear everything worked out for you ScottR.

Now you can truely see why this interface is better =)
Anime Studio - Ultimate Game Graphics
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Whew! I'm glad to hear it's working right now too. This was on my list for today, but I have no idea what was causing it. It could have been a video driver maybe - it looks like the Tool and Style windows were sizing themselves incorrectly, and the extra space was getting filled with junk.

Anyway, glad to hear it's resolved.
ScottR

Post by ScottR »

I think that my Windows XP was in need of repair as it has never had any maintence since it was installed in 2002.

I have no problems with the floating pallet windows as I use two monitors and use one monitor for the design window and the other monitor for pallets. I do like to have the tool pallet on the design monitor though. I'm a Photoshop user and have worked this way for quite awhile.

Thanks again

ScottR
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

I know this thread has been quiet for a while, but I just wanted to add my voice to those who have trouble with the windows in Moho 5. I do most of my work on my laptop, so my teeny monitor feels somewhat cramped.

Almost all my problems with resizing windows comes from stuff in the top half (the tools / viewer / style stuff) overlapping stuff in the bottom (timeline / layers). I know, nothing new.

My naive question: when in a hypothetical "docking mode", could the current user interface system just resize windows relative to one another so that things fit around the viewer window, and were functionally, but not actually, docked? So, when the style is sized to take up 75% of the top the view window is automatically resized to take up 75% also, and the layers and timeline are automatically resized to take up 25%.

I guess what I'm really asking is, isn't there a way to fake docked windows without really docking them? kdiddy13 mentioned something about opening up the user interface stuff in LUA. Is it possible to set the window size via the LUA stuff? The position of the window on the screen, via LUA?

*covers head and ducks* :)
Dave
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

No, Lua can't be used to control other parts of the Moho interface. You can create dialogs with Lua and add controls to the tool options area, but a Lua script can't fiddle with non-Lua interface items.
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

One option would be to memorize or print out the hotkeys for the tool bar. That way you could clear up some space by closing the tool bar. I know this isn't necessarily an ideal solution, but I imagine that if you were to work this way, you would end up working significantly faster than someone just clicking on the tool tabs. I'm actually working on doing this even though I have the screen space for the sole reason of efficiency.

Good luck.

Kdiddy
________
BODY SCIENCE
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Maybe for some future time you could take an approach like Silo3D did http://www.nevercenter.com If you look at the forum you'll see that there are many user created UI starting to appear.

I'm not sure what's involved from a programming perspective but it is worth considering as a long term goal I guess; as the with the Lua scripts it's likely would produce plenty of free UI reflecting many preferences which will take the load off you.
bonkabonka

Post by bonkabonka »

Barliesque wrote:
Lost Marble wrote:Moho should be storing and recalling the window positions from when you last ran it...
For the most part it does, but on my dual-display system I find that the timeline--which I've placed on the secondary monitor--is always restored to the primary monitor. It seems to be placed at a default position, yet remembers the size from when I last closed Moho.
I, also, am having this issue. It doesn't take a lot of time to rearrange the windows, but I'll admit it's a bit annoying. :)

-- EDIT --

Here are some screenshots to demonstrate what I'm seeing.

This is what I get when I start:

This is what I'd rather get:
mr. blaaa

Post by mr. blaaa »

Erm... What screen resolution do you have?
Voxel

Post by Voxel »

bonkabonka wrote:
Barliesque wrote:
Lost Marble wrote:Moho should be storing and recalling the window positions from when you last ran it...
For the most part it does, but on my dual-display system I find that the timeline--which I've placed on the secondary monitor--is always restored to the primary monitor. It seems to be placed at a default position, yet remembers the size from when I last closed Moho.
I, also, am having this issue. It doesn't take a lot of time to rearrange the windows, but I'll admit it's a bit annoying. :)

-- EDIT --

Here are some screenshots to demonstrate what I'm seeing.

This is what I get when I start:

This is what I'd rather get:
Ditto, same happens to me, it always opens slightly offset onto my second monitor.
bonkabonka

Post by bonkabonka »

mr. blaaa wrote:Erm... What screen resolution do you have?
2x 1280 by 1024. :) Dual-head is my friend.