about Game engine for json

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

leo998

Re: about Game engine for json

Post by leo998 »

If the moho does not support json format, it will lose the hottest H5 game market.Game workers no one uses Moho
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

If enough people are interested in this, they could start a money pool and hire a scripter to make a json exporter that works with the spine or dragonbones importer. This would probably cost at least $1000. If you hire someone from India or Indonesia, you might be able to get it for less.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

dkwroot wrote:If enough people are interested in this, they could start a money pool and hire a scripter to make a json exporter that works with the spine or dragonbones importer. This would probably cost at least $1000. If you hire someone from India or Indonesia, you might be able to get it for less.
My quote would be much higher than that. It's not a small task.
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

synthsin75 wrote: My quote would be much higher than that. It's not a small task.
I would too, but they might find someone willing to do it for that price. On fivver, I've seen coders from India, China and Philippines build entire apps for dirt cheap. They have an advantage living in a place where the monthly income is less than $500.

Here's a guy from Pakistan that specializes in JSON. He says he'll do anything related to JSON and has very low prices. HERE
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

From an implementation perspective, I'd be seriously tempted to make this a standalone that reads a .moho file and writes an output file rather than a script - and design decisions such as that, and on issues such as error / exception handling, could mean the difference between a plausibly passable tool and a robust, usable piece of software.

Notwithstanding, IMO to avoid disappointment and misunderstandings you'd need to be very precise on the spec. Unless you have someone clued up on moho and Spine it almost certainly won't be good enough just to say "export a Spine format JSON from Moho" - instead you'd need to explain the mappings between the moho and Spine concepts. So it's not just the coding, it's the spec and test costs to consider. Some guidelines make the "code and unit test" stage about 15% of the total project cost, with the other 85% consumed in design and systems / acceptance testing. We can debate whether it's 15% or 50% - but what it's not is 100%.

I've no issue in principle with crowdfunding offshore development, but do it eyes wide open...
leo666

Post by leo666 »

Well, I mean,You can make your own JSON format.But your format needs to be open to SDK.In order to facilitate the call of game engine such as cocoscreator,laya,egret,unity,ue.Spine has less function than Moho,It doesn't matter if Moho doesn't want to make a difference in the field of games. We can use spine and dragonbones, live 2D and creature Pro as well.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

I showed this thread to a game developer friend of mine. He said that json is just a file format, like a text file. There would need to be plug-ins developed for all the game engines that would implement Moho's functions exactly. That's a big deal. Not something that can be outsourced for a few hundred bucks.

Basically, unless Smith Micro (or Mike Clifton) decide to do this by themselves, it isn't ever going to happen. It requires detailed knowledge of how Moho works internally.

Personally, I'd prefer for Moho to concentrate on animation tools rather than game export.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

JaMike wrote:I showed this thread to a game developer friend of mine. He said that json is just a file format, like a text file. There would need to be plug-ins developed for all the game engines that would implement Moho's functions exactly. That's a big deal. Not something that can be outsourced for a few hundred bucks.
More than likely it would just limit Moho output to what's already doable in existing game engines. And even that would be more than a few hundred bucks.
Basically, unless Smith Micro (or Mike Clifton) decide to do this by themselves, it isn't ever going to happen. It requires detailed knowledge of how Moho works internally.
Mike Clifton is no longer involved with Moho.
Personally, I'd prefer for Moho to concentrate on animation tools rather than game export.
I agree. You can always build sprite sheets from any animation.
leo666

Post by leo666 »

MOHO software completes animation export, game engine plays MOHO animation, not just export tool.You only need to add one export animation to the game engine function
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

JaMike wrote:I showed this thread to a game developer friend of mine. He said that json is just a file format, like a text file. There would need to be plug-ins developed for all the game engines that would implement Moho's functions exactly. That's a big deal. Not something that can be outsourced for a few hundred bucks.
We weren't discussing developing an importer for the game engines, but a json exporter that piggy-backs on the "Spine" or "DragonBones" importer. The JSON format for both of those programs is open and documented.
JaMike wrote:Basically, unless Smith Micro (or Mike Clifton) decide to do this by themselves, it isn't ever going to happen. It requires detailed knowledge of how Moho works internally.
No it doesn't, it just needs bone/layer data which is available in the scripting API. It'll be time consuming translating Moho animation data to spine's json format, but it can be done. If we found a scripter who is familiar with spine or dragonbone's json format, they would have an easier time doing this.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

synthsin75 wrote:Mike Clifton is no longer involved with Moho.
Yeah I know, I included him as he has detailed knowledge of how Moho works internally. If he ended up working at Unity, you can bet they'd have a Moho importer in a couple of weeks. :D
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

dkwroot wrote:We weren't discussing developing an importer for the game engines, but a json exporter that piggy-backs on the "Spine" or "DragonBones" importer. The JSON format for both of those programs is open and documented.
Okay, I don't really know enough about this stuff, but if you weren't using the special unique features of Moho, and you're just using basically cut-out animation and bringing it into Spine, why wouldn't you just stick with Spine? Or Blender COAT? Or Dragonbones? Or Unity? What am I missing here?

Anyway, if it is that easy then crowdfund it. I'm sure Synthsin or Hayasidist or Simplesam could do it given enough incentive.They all seem really smart (in that I don't understand most of their posts :D ).
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

JaMike wrote:
dkwroot wrote:We weren't discussing developing an importer for the game engines, but a json exporter that piggy-backs on the "Spine" or "DragonBones" importer. The JSON format for both of those programs is open and documented.
Okay, I don't really know enough about this stuff, but if you weren't using the special unique features of Moho, and you're just using basically cut-out animation and bringing it into Spine, why wouldn't you just stick with Spine? Or Blender COAT? Or Dragonbones? Or Unity? What am I missing here?
Not bring Moho animation into Spine, Dragonbones, etc. but using that format to translate Moho animation into game engine JSON. I don't know how those tools compare when creating animation, so I assumed the OP would prefer to animate in Moho.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

synthsin75 wrote:I assumed the OP would prefer to animate in Moho.
That makes sense. :)
leo666

Post by leo666 »

Yes, MOHO animation is more powerful, more convenient and more functional than spine. Why not choose MOHO to do game animation?