Potentially silly request

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Banterfield

Potentially silly request

Post by Banterfield »

I was thinking about how quickly my graphics card processes information and throws it up on the screen, and it got me thinking...

Could Moho's rendering engine somehow take advantage of a graphics card's rendering/processing power to speed up render times for projects?

Maybe a simple layer could be programmed to allow Moho to speak to the card (or Direct X) that would do the trick?

No doubt, easier said than done, but I'd love to know if this has ever been considered, and what the issues involved are.
Dave
cribble

Post by cribble »

Well in a way, not all people have graphics cards (like me...at the moment), but i do know what you mean. Like there should be software render and a graphics card render.

I don't think this is a silly request. Silly request are like 'i want my MoHo to tell me how great i am everytime i click its buttons...oh lushh ...err ..mate'
--Scott
cribble.net
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Actually, this would be extremely complex. Plus, you might get differences between graphics cards. In the worst case, some graphics cards might not be able to do every last thing Moho needed, and would be unable to render a scene.

I think using the graphics card could speed up some things, but there are probably a lot of things in Moho that wouldn't translate directly to a graphics card anyway.
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

I thought it likely that different cards would handle things differently. Though, from what you say it, would be consistent on a individual basis (that is, I'm using a GeForce, so my output would look the same so long as I rendered with that). I think differences with output (moho instance to moho instance) would be acceptable to an individual user so long as they were satisfied with what they were getting on their own card.

With respect to different capabilities amongst the cards out there, if a card couldn't handle the feature request from moho, that portion of the render could be done with moho's normal engine.

I understand that the generation of vector layers (and other moving stuff) would need to be handled via moho but it seems like a card would work well doing:

anti-aliasing
layer blurring
motion blur
compositing image layers

Those are the four things that I regularly use that seem to gobble up the processor for my renders. Moho kicks butt churning out the frames when I don't have layer/motion blurring or anti-aliasing turned on.

The benefit of this would best be realized by those of us that have lots and lots of batch rendering that require lots of downtime and only one computer available to do the heavy lifting render-wise.

Hmmm. Has anyone every complained about something rendering too fast? I should count my blessings that I found this program at all.

Appreciatively,
Dave