Other 3d format import please

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Ashe Raven

Other 3d format import please

Post by Ashe Raven »

Why are we limited to OBJ format when 3DS, DXF and LWO are by far the most popular these days?
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

1) AS is a 2D program. The fact that it can import 3D obj files is a plus -- if you have files in other formats, you can get file converters...
2) Do these other formats make it easier to produce AS animations? I don't know, but I would guess not...
3) Do these other file formats have qualities which obj files don't have? If so, let's hear about them. If not...well, there are other things to worry about...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

actually, i think that lostmarble don't want many 3d in moho. there are past discussions about 3d bones and thinks like that.
he is clear (here):
Lost Marble wrote:The problem with 3D bones is more of a philosophical problem, rather than a technical problem. The big question is whether Moho should evolve into a full 3D animation program, and I would argue "no".
Animestudio has a lot of 3d objects in the library, there are some of them which i made. my 3d objects has a lot of bones and are separated in several parts to make de "3d bones sensation".

i send them all the objects i boned, but when they put it into the new software, erased all the bones and animation. the more complex characters (as my snufkin), simply weren't used.
i like to use 3d, but i like to use it inside a 2d style (i really don't like the pure 3d animation, it is most ugly, but we can't deny 3d, even in 2d animation is very useful)
i think there is a philosophical tendency to hide the 3d skills of moho.
MikeHart

Re: Other 3d format import please

Post by MikeHart »

Ashe Raven wrote:Why are we limited to OBJ format when 3DS, DXF and LWO are by far the most popular these days?
Mmmh, I would argue with that. Almost every 3D package can export to OBJ. At least the ones I have (ZBrush, Silo, Carrara, Hexagon, TrueSpace, Blender, Bryce, Poser). Not all of them can handle LWO or 3DS.
DXF as no texturing/coloring info embended, or?

I think OBJ is the most supported 3D file format these days.
Ashe Raven

Post by Ashe Raven »

1) AS is a 2D program. The fact that it can import 3D obj files is a plus -- if you have files in other formats, you can get file converters...

File convertors are fine, and yet at the same time yet another inconvenent cost and I have yet to find a convetor that deals with textures well

2) Do these other formats make it easier to produce AS animations? I don't know, but I would guess not...

I wasn't commenting on making the animation easier. I was commenting on bring able to actually use animation studio in conjuction with the 3D programes that other people may actually use. And 3DS, LWO and c-4D can be xported with texture content far more easily than OBJ files, so in asnwer to your question, yes it would.

3) Do these other file formats have qualities which obj files don't have? If so, let's hear about them. If not...well, there are other things to worry about..

Yes they do. Some files, such as LWO for example, take up less ram than your average OBJ file, which woudl speed up importing considerably. Also as mentioned earlier, the texture as well as colour import is much more of an advantage than the plain white that costantly frustrates me when exporting objects from my programme of preference, Cinema 4D and Lightwave.

And to be frank, this is a request forum, not a demand forum. If I was worried about something I'd be posting in the Bugs Report forum, so I'm not entierly sure where your abrupt approach to my request comes from.
Ashe Raven

Re: Other 3d format import please

Post by Ashe Raven »

MikeHart wrote:
Ashe Raven wrote:Why are we limited to OBJ format when 3DS, DXF and LWO are by far the most popular these days?
Mmmh, I would argue with that. Almost every 3D package can export to OBJ. At least the ones I have (ZBrush, Silo, Carrara, Hexagon, TrueSpace, Blender, Bryce, Poser). Not all of them can handle LWO or 3DS.
DXF as no texturing/coloring info embended, or?

I think OBJ is the most supported 3D file format these days.
DXF does have colour info embedded into it, depnding on the programme you use to export it.

I love OBJ, don't get me wrong, but when it comes to animation or software as a whole, it's the inconventece it causes tha slows down a project considerably, espescially when dealing with contracts and deadlines.
Ashe Raven

Post by Ashe Raven »

selgin wrote:actually, i think that lostmarble don't want many 3d in moho. there are past discussions about 3d bones and thinks like that.
he is clear (here):
Lost Marble wrote:The problem with 3D bones is more of a philosophical problem, rather than a technical problem. The big question is whether Moho should evolve into a full 3D animation program, and I would argue "no".
Animestudio has a lot of 3d objects in the library, there are some of them which i made. my 3d objects has a lot of bones and are separated in several parts to make de "3d bones sensation".

i send them all the objects i boned, but when they put it into the new software, erased all the bones and animation. the more complex characters (as my snufkin), simply weren't used.
i like to use 3d, but i like to use it inside a 2d style (i really don't like the pure 3d animation, it is most ugly, but we can't deny 3d, even in 2d animation is very useful)
i think there is a philosophical tendency to hide the 3d skills of moho.
Agreed. For e 3D is a tool, nothing more. The prime use of the ogramme is for 2D in my opinion, but at the same time I do incorparate what I like to term as 2D-3D from time to time, as I simply don't have the time to draw frame by frame the turn of a car for example, so in many ways I welcome 3D as a tool as long as the programme does not move away from the fact that is it primarly a 2D programme.
Fazek

Post by Fazek »

I don't use 3D at all and there are a very few inexpensive solutions to use 3D under Linux. I prefer the Pov renderer and KPovModeler over it, but Pov is very good even with a simple text editor. Unfortunately, KPovModeler (and all other Pov frontends I know) doesn't support animation at all. Pov's script language is very effective and user-friendly. But the .obj format is a very stupid format with many-many coordinates instead of defining simple geometrical objects. It is nearly impossible to make a .obj file without a 3D program.

Perhaps it is possible to write some 3D point/face manipulation tool in Lua, similar to the 2D tools. By its scripting reference, it is possible to create points and faces directly from Lua. It is a strange thing that there is no script yet in this theme. Is it working actually?
- - - Fazek
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Ashe Raven wrote:And to be frank, this is a request forum, not a demand forum. If I was worried about something I'd be posting in the Bugs Report forum, so I'm not entierly sure where your abrupt approach to my request comes from.
Sorry if you thought it was abrupt. I just thought it was a matter of debate, that's all.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Ashe Raven

Post by Ashe Raven »

Thats okay :)

The written word can be misinterpreted far too often
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Fazek wrote:Perhaps it is possible to write some 3D point/face manipulation tool in Lua, similar to the 2D tools. By its scripting reference, it is possible to create points and faces directly from Lua. It is a strange thing that there is no script yet in this theme. Is it working actually?
do you mean that is possible create a tool to edit and animate 3d objects by points?
if it is thus, i think i have never see anything like that (in moho. and i use a lot of 3d in most of my projects). even we talk about with ramón.
that would be a dream script (as much as replace line is)

am i wrong?