Request for top 10 Anime Studio Pro Version 6 Features

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

HOSAMALARABY

Post by HOSAMALARABY »

isometric 30 30 designing support
SJHooks

Post by SJHooks »

The eyedropper tool so you can pick a color and/or a style that you didn't register.

Dividing tool so that you can split a shape in half depending on the line you draw to divide it (and it works in the timeline).

Improved onion skins such as pivot or flash, so that you just take the layers being view in the onion skin will just be the image on the canvas except with less ocapacity, (for when you use the current style of onion skins it is somtimes hard to determine which small wire goes to which object on the canvas in the timeline...)

point removing button, so that you can remove a point in the timeline when you have an object with too many points (such as hair) and you want to reshape it

point addition button so that when you make an animation and want to curve it a bit more, and you realize that you need to add more points, then you just add them on the current object instead of adding them on the current fram and going through each frame to make sure that the points are correct

Using the specific magnet tool so that you can make use the magnet on certain points

Layer ordering notes, so that when you scroll over the keyframe in layer ordering it tells you which layer was moved and to where it was moved

Circle pencil style, sort of like tha arrow tool except with circles at the tips

Line dissappearing tool, except it work in the timeline, (sort of like the line width tool as it can work in the timeline). Like the hide edge tool in the timeline

More syles and effects available for a shape.

PS. thanks selgin, I didn't know you can preview export! *I edited this post so that I could mention another impotant feature request*
Last edited by SJHooks on Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

SJHooks wrote:Preview export, like rendering and exporting, except without saving a file, just viewing it for any mistakes.
Try with F5 (you must to have installed quicktime).
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

These either can be done with scripts or already are done, either with scripts or as part of the default AS:
SJHooks wrote:The eyedropper tool so you can pick a color and/or a style that you didn't register.

Dividing tool so that you can split a shape in half depending on the line you draw to divide it (and it works in the timeline).

point removing button, so that you can remove a point in the timeline when you have an object with too many points (such as hair) and you want to reshape it

point addition button so that when you make an animation and want to curve it a bit more, and you realize that you need to add more points, then you just add them on the current object instead of adding them on the current fram and going through each frame to make sure that the points are correct

Using the specific magnet tool so that you can make use the magnet on certain points
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

If you're talking about being able to freely change the number of points in an animated fashion along the timeline, this is not likely to happen. It would be a major departure from the current AS methodology. People don't seem to realize that Mike has to take into account everything being compatible with the current AS. He would get a major backlash if he changed it so much that all of our custom scripts quit working. I for one would have to satisfy myself with 5.6 from here on out.
This 'working in the timeline' would have the same problem as the above. Overall these things need to be handled be proper planning. I don't think any of our esteemed animation pros could overstress this point.
Layer ordering notes, so that when you scroll over the keyframe in layer ordering it tells you which layer was moved and to where it was moved
Huh, that's called the layers window. The layer order keys actually include every layer in the group as it is ordered on that frame, that's why adding or deleting layers after doing any ordering is such a problem.

But yeah, any existing feature that can be made an animated feature is always a good thing.

While a eyedropper for image layers would be nice, I get along just fine with a third party color picker, and vector shapes already have color push/pull features.

:wink:
ruibjr

Post by ruibjr »

1. Control switch layer by parent bone's rotation
2. Eyedropper

Number 1 would make me feel much more comfident about using ASP professionaly.
By having such feature in the core engine, I would be able to animate my characters without the fear of reaching a dead-end that would force me to use some other tool.
This would absolutely ensure me that no matter what my character designs look like, there will be an easy fix for any inconvenient limb problems that might appear in the future.

HeyVern and Genete have already created a script that does that, but it still requires one control bone per switch layer. If this is part of the core engine, then it is going to run faster and feel more comfortable.

I am still learning ASP, and have some feeling that the tool might lead me to a dead end at some point.
But, by having this tool, I would be comfident enough that there will always be an easy fix, should such problems arise.

Rui
P.S.: In the mean time, I am going to be using the script, which by the way I am very grateful for.
These guys made me feel much more comfident about ASP.
realsnake

Post by realsnake »

addition to my previous request and i hope its too late for that
- Directional blur or X, Y blur
- scripting support for styles
- um and maybe Perspective Vanishing point grid too.
TheChewanater

Post by TheChewanater »

I can think of one.

What I really want is a 'track editor' for easily changing layer visibility like you would move different tracks in a video editor. Maybe you could put more than one clip (or 'layer') on a track at different points, making frame by frame animation possible without completely redesigning how AS works.

It'll also help keep the layers more organized. For instance, I always have a bunch of layers with objects that only appear for a few seconds, making it hard to find a layer I'm looking for. :x I guess I could use bone/switch/group layers, but this would be easier and have the benefits I mentioned previously too.
ImageImage
chucky

Post by chucky »

I hope I haven't double posted this one, so I put up a pre-emptive embarrassment smiley... :oops:

Rotate bones in Z :D
See my hello jelly thread
viewtopic.php?t=12429&highlight=hello+jelly
I hope you are enjoying developing the next version Mike. :D
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

chucky wrote:I hope I haven't double posted this one, so I put up a pre-emptive embarrassment smiley... :oops:

Rotate bones in Z :D
See my hello jelly thread
viewtopic.php?t=12429&highlight=hello+jelly
I hope you are enjoying developing the next version Mike. :D
from this thread:
Lost Marble wrote:The problem with 3D bones is more of a philosophical problem, rather than a technical problem. The big question is whether Moho should evolve into a full 3D animation program, and I would argue "no".
It's sad. I definitively don't agree with Mike, I think one feature wouldn't transform Moho or AS in a completely different software. It just opens a big door and finish with big limitations. 3d can be friend of 2d, if this makes things simpler to do some times, why not?
chucky

Post by chucky »

Philosophy has nothing to do with it, I have plenty of 3D apps but ASPRO is a different and special animal, (limitations aside).
Just give us the rotation Mike and people can all philosophise till the cows come home.
I meanwhile, I will be animating.... and loving it....
Peace :D no matter what your dimension is. :roll:
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

Pseudo 3D bone manipulation, where the tool automatically adjusts the scale of the bone instead of really transforming it three dimensions, might be a good compromise. You could probably write a prototype version of such a tool in the current version of AnimeStudio. Actually, someone like Heyvern or Genete may have already written one.

The way I see it working is you could hold down shift for the bone translate tool and it would emulate moving a bone and its children back and forward in the z-direction. Also, you could hold down shift for the bone rotate tool and you would be able to emulate rotating a bone and its children away from or towards the camera by moving the cursor up or down the length of the bone. This wouldn't be a philosophical shift in the way AnimeStudio works as you just automates what you can already by hand. Not sure if this would give you everything you want though.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

What interests me is that layers can be rotated in 3D space... bones can rotate layers... but NOT in 3D space. What is the philosophical difference? ;)

I agree that z rotation/translation of bones would be nice. However from a functional point of view it would only really work with layers. I don't see how a z rotation/translation of a bone could transform points. How could individual vectors on a layer be 3D? That would require AS becoming a full blow 3D program. Points would need to have 3D coordinates. Or else the calculations would have to "fake" 3D space to "simulate" 3D distortions of points (much like Genetes 3D vector scripts do using bones).

Yeah it would be nice... don't want to rock the boat too much. I have to say I jumped on AS originally to get away from the complexity of 3D.

I would prefer having xyz scaling of bones. Without that there is no way to script a "3D bone" function. Plus the scaling of a bone would still be uniform. You couldn't create actual "3D" with uniform scaling of a bone.

It gets so complicated in your head if you think about ALL the ramifications of what appears to be a simple feature.

-vern
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I have to say I jumped on AS originally to get away from the complexity of 3D.
Same here.

Pseudo 3D is the most I'd want. Just simulated 3D by scaling, like Rudiger mentions.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Pseudo-3D with a light source and shadows plz thanks b0$$.

Man, I'd be interested to play with a 3D Moho...like, it will function as it does normally, only with the option of having the ability to create 3D stuff too. The pseudo-3D works pretty well for me currently and I can use tricks to get it to LOOK 3d enough, only thing that I'd really like to make it more convincing is the addition of shadows performing in a 3D space. THAT would be so damn epic.