Bones blocked for no reason (?) Please help

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

NicoGZ

Bones blocked for no reason (?) Please help

Post by NicoGZ »

Hello. I have a character rigged and it worked fine until now. I have used moho since AS 9.5 so I am familiar with the program. We are in a production of a tv series so the content is shared with the rest of the team. I built the core Rig, then a workmate started to work on details. But suddenly, the rig stopped moving everytime you try to Transform (or Manipulate) any of the bones outside of frame 0. In frame 0 it works perfectly. But from fr 1 forward, none of the bones move (except for the anchor bone, which will translate, but not rotate or scale).

First I thought that maybe the bones were locked, but the lock bone box was unchecked for all of them. Then I thought maybe some smartbone had all the bones keyed in the action. I checked every action of every bone but found no irregularity. Then I thought maybe there are several layers linked to one bone, but no.

I opened and closed the program many times, and the problem persists. Except for one time, when the bones moved, but moved as if they were on frame 0 (the layers linked to them didnt move along). I restarted again and it went back to not moving.

Maybe its a bug of the program, please help if you have encounteres a similar problem or if you can think of a solution for this.

**my workmate who last modified it copy/pasted some bones from another rig, perhaps that has to do with it, but we have done that in the past with no problems. And if that were the problem, shouldnt it affect onlt the selected bones??

Thanks
hayasidist

Re: Bones blocked for no reason (?) Please help

Post by hayasidist »

check actions for bone keyframes??? did someone do a reset all bones in the "resting" position for all smartbones?
NicoGZ

Post by NicoGZ »

There are no bone keyframes in the actions apart from the ones on purpose.

How do I know if the bones are reseted?

Also, some bones do not have smart actions at all (hands for example) and they still wont move outside of frame zero.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, I've never seen this except for when too many bones were keyed in a smart bone action. Might need to share a file (with the bone layer and maybe one vector layer, minimum) for us to troubleshoot.
NicoGZ

Post by NicoGZ »

Thanks Wes, how do i share it with you?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

You can upload it to somewhere like FileDropper or DropBox and post the link here (or PM me, if you don't want to share it publicly).
NicoGZ

Post by NicoGZ »

Hello. Sorry i didnt reply. The solution was so simple I'm ashamed: Moho 12 has a new feature that enables you to lock entire layers by clicking on a little dot next to the layer's symbol in the timeline. It turned out the bone movement was locked and all i had to do was click the little dot to release the bones. Thanks for the help though!!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

NicoGZ wrote:Moho 12 has a new feature that enables you to lock entire layers by clicking on a little dot next to the layer's symbol in the timeline. It turned out the bone movement was locked and all i had to do was click the little dot to release the bones. Thanks for the help though!!
Are you talking about the Mute button, the white dot next to the channel that becomes red when you click it? That doesn't lock the channel, it disables it, which is a very different thing from locking.

The Mute button is useful when you need to check the motion on part of your animation and you don't want to be distracted by other motion in- and outside of the hierarchy. Sometimes I like to use it temporarily on a character's root bone or an upper Group transformation, so the character stays 'in-place' while I check its animation. It can be useful when you have an animated camera too.

If you Mute a channel, don't forget to un-mute it before you render (unless of course, the muted effect is what you really want.)

Hope this helps.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, I always add a note layer to remind myself of any channels I mute.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

A while back, I requested a Preferences option to make Moho ignore muted channels when submitting final animation renders (but not for preview renders.) I still want to see that; I've submitted way too many 'bad' renders to our farm because of Mute. I know that's my fault but it really shouldn't be. :P
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

yeah - I've fallen foul of muted channels before (and the first time it happened a year or so ago Wes helped me out of that particular hole). It's a VERY useful feature, but IMO it's too hard to spot if you've accidently hit mute on a channel..
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

The note layers especially help if I need to mute a channel in a smart action. Once you're back on the mainline, there's zero indication of what's wrong. Have to find the specific smart action.
NicoGZ

Post by NicoGZ »

Yes I meant that, the muted channels. Thanks!