Save As ... Nice if keyed as Shift-Cmd-S

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ekulis

Save As ... Nice if keyed as Shift-Cmd-S

Post by ekulis »

Question:
Is there a way to add Shift-Cmd-S as keys for the File>Save As ... menu item?

Hope:
I just read about using -- _tool_list.txt -- to add/modify Tool key commands. Is there a way to add keys to the Top Bar menu items?

Configuration:
Mac OS X, Leopard 10.5
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

In the main AS folder is a file called 'Strings'. You can open this in a text editor as well and find the 'Save as...' entry. If you can find an unused key, adding that key will make ctrl(cmd) + entered key your new save as shortcut. (example: 'Save As...A' would be ctrl(cmd)+A to save as)
ekulis

Anime Studio.5.5.strings > 3005 "Save As...@"

Post by ekulis »

Beautiful!

Searching for @" showed it wasn't used. I changed the line for Save As and then I opened SA again. and there it was cmd-@ for save as.

Also it looks like you can use the Shift key as a modifier. Although there's no syntax for say. Shift-cmd-option modifier.

Thank you very much!

Details:

pwd ; llt "Anime Studio.5.5.strings" ; diff "Anime Studio.5.5 copy.strings" "Anime Studio.5.5.strings"

/Applications/Anime Studio
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root admin 24203 Sep 28 08:09 Anime Studio.5.5.strings
411c411
< 3005 "Save As... "
---
> 3005 "Save As...@"
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

You indicate you are on a Macintosh. If you go to the "keyboard mouse" system prefs (I'm on Panther it may be different on newer systems) you can set a keyboard shortcut for specific applications.

I set "Command+shift+S" for Anime Studio to do a save as. It shows up in AS correctly.

Obviously this solution only works for Mac users. I didn't even know about that "strings" file in the application. I like the keyboard shortcut way better though. It gives you all the modifier keys.

-vern
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Well shift modified keys don't work for the strings in Windows, but they do work as tool shortcuts. I don't think I knew that. Thanks!
ekulis

Mac App Keyboard Short cuts works great!

Post by ekulis »

Been using the Mac for 8 years and never knew about the app specific short cuts. Never scrolled all the way to the bottom of the key commands list.

After getting the spelling right "Save As..." without a space before the ellipsis, the Shift Cmd A overrode the my strings Cmd-@ and now I have my intuitive Shift Cmd A showing in the menu.

Shift Cmd-A is missing in many apps so I'm going to use this alot.

heyvern!

Thanks.