How should i pay my voice actors

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jackass

How should i pay my voice actors

Post by jackass »

My cousin , friends, and my teacher husband will provide voices for the character . I plan on paying them after the movie makes money.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

I would pay them in animal pelts.

No seriously, what did they agree on to do the job? A percentage or a flat fee? I believe voice actors are generally paid per character but I have no idea how much.
~Danimal
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Pay them something. What ever you can afford. Or do them a favor. I charge a meal for fixing my neighbors lawnmowers.

Dale
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

You really need to have something in writing, which says you own all rights; What you don't want is a runaway success like CrazyFrog, then all the contributors demanding more money/setting their own rules like "Didn't give your electronic media rights", etc.

best way is to pay a small lump sum up front, and a back-end % share later: that way, you have all rights, and they have the knowledge they get 1% of gross if it is successful.

All agreements are quoted gross, and never ever net - film accountants make sure no film ever makes a net profit: If your agreement is 20% net, your income is $0. Hence, film profits are quoted "it grossed $25milliom".

The contract should include the line/s "in return for [payment] ... for the services of [work] ... all rights assigned to [you]". Payment can legally be a token $1, even if the rest of the deal is "I'll wash your car, walk your dog for month, ". The contract should stipulate if they are to get a screen credit. You can also cut a deal where they get the right for limited use of film stills on their own website/promotional material - voice talent need to advertise too and even if it's a small indie project (okay garage film), a still on their website looks good. even if you never finish the film or release it, it still pays to give them the still - its good advertising for you too.

I have hired top international voice-over artists for short films, and their fee has often been $100, including all rights, worldwide. Often they use their own recording facilities, in their own down time - it keeps their costs down. The highest I have paid is $275 for a ten minute episode. One actor had a couple of kids who wanted to follow daddy into film work - they auditioned for one film I had - they were good too.

Just be professional and you are unlikely to get bit in the butt later when you try sell your epic to a broadcaster who will want to see paperwork. Same paperwork and get the rights goes for film music and other design contribution.

Rhoel
dm

Post by dm »

here are some sample releases: http://homepage.mac.com/directorsseat/FileSharing6.html

http://www.legalzoom.com/legalforms/rel ... eness.html

(look at the preview of the legalzoom one, it has explanations-you don't need to buy it)

You can search releases, and probably come up with a bunch. For you, the release needs to give you rights to do whatever you want. Simpler is better. Something like: I, Jackass' mom, relinquish now, and forever more, my soul, to Jackass to do with as he pleases. That's what you need for distribution.

Get the full release up front, include your $1 payment in full. Do a separate royalties agreement. I'd grant rights separately too.

go here: http://www.aftra.com/ and look at the member information tab. Choose what category your project falls under, and you can see what scale pay is (a nice starting point if you get profitable).
Maxheadspace

Food, beer, and fun...

Post by Maxheadspace »

If you're just starting out, no one really expects to make money off of their assistance, but you want to do something to thank them. Make it a fun event with food...pizza and beer is always a hit (if everyone's old enough for beer). As mentioned above, ALWAYS get the release form signed before they utter a sylabel on "tape." Actually, I could go for some pizza right now!
Max Headspace
Maxheadspace

P.S.

Post by Maxheadspace »

Also, some say you need to exchange money for the release to be a valid agreement. Actually, what I use as "consideration," is give them a copy of the finished product as their official payment, and have that written right into the release agreement instead of a money amount. Everyone I worked with appreciated the DVD.
Max Headspace
InfoCentral

Re: How should i pay my voice actors

Post by InfoCentral »

jackass wrote:My cousin , friends, and my teacher husband will provide voices for the character . I plan on paying them after the movie makes money.
I guess you would have to pay them with your allowance.
Matsuemon

Post by Matsuemon »

Hey Jackass,
I'd love to do some voice work for an animated project. I'd do it for nothing, initially, and if the project made a bunch of money and you wanted to throw some my way, I wouldn't hate it haha

--Jason