Anime Studio 7 is now available

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Sarina

Anime Studio 7 is now available

Post by Sarina »

Hi,

As you may have read in the Announcements section, Anime Studio Debut 7 and Pro 7 are now available.

For product information, videos and more, please visit:

anime.smithmicro.com

The Key New Features in Debut 7 are:

In-App Audio Recording
Customizable Brushes
Content Library
Image Masking
Beginner's Mode
and more

The Key New Features in Pro 7 are:

Simulated Physics
3D Shape Design
Audio Recording
Advanced Tools
Content Library
and more

I will be posting more throughout the day.

Cheers,
Sarina
Sarina DuPont
(Former) Product Manager
Smith Micro Software, Inc.
-----------------------------
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/animestudio
Twitter: http://twitter.com/anime_studio
Kalamonkey

Post by Kalamonkey »

I currently have Anime Pro 6.2, I see you have provided a list of enhancements. Can anyone describe what so great about the new version. Is it worth shelling out $130?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

http://anime.smithmicro.com/index_pro.php
Check the videos on that page and see for yourself!

G
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The physics ALONE is worth $130. So is the Integrated Audio Recording. The 3D Object Design feature is cool too. Very cool actually. Follow Path kicks some major tushy ;). Draw a path, key frame a layer along the path. amazing.

Physics is "deadly" accurate. I mean freaking accurate. Very subtle and very very fast and easy to use. Most applications I have used that have physics require a lot of setup and fiddling. You can work with physics in AS easily and quickly with very little effort. It's so freaking simple.

Integrated Audio Recording is amazing. Record right inside AS, tweak the freaking "pitch". Record sound effects, voices etc etc. No need for additional recording software unless you want to tweak it with more filters. I have a very expensive digital recording gizmo, I can get the quality of my expensive microphone INSIDE AS without having to open another recording application.

Some very cool "quiet" enhancements that seriously speed up production BIG TIME. One HUGE new feature I don't think was listed is multiple selection and deletion of layers. Shift select a bazillion layers all at once, translate them, rotate them, move in the layer palette or delete them. HUGE improvement.

Another new feature that only long time users of AS would notice is a new type of curve in vector layers (still supports the old layer types as well so don't worry). WAY FREAKING COOL!!!!. Really nice. I can't describe it. Have to see it in action. It really improves point motion. You don't even really notice it at first unless you compare the old to the new and then you see why it's so cool.

The upgrade is worth it. If you don't want or need those new features, keep using 6. However you have NO IDEA what you would be missing. This is a much bigger improvement than 5 to 6 was by far.

p.s. Almost forgot to mention Project Consolidation. You can save your entire project to a new location and copy all the linked files. THIS IS HUGE!

-vern
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

Any sign of a demo. V6 just didn't do it for me (I sent it back). The gradients just didn't work as well as in V5. Id really like to be able to test any 'advanced tools' before I buy.
P.S Are there more easing options?
Kalamonkey

Post by Kalamonkey »

Thanks for the info, I did watch the video before I posted, but wanted to hear from actual users, do the users feel it's worth it. I am excited about what you say above... and being able to consolidate project information is a huge benifit, that will help with collaboration! Again, thanks for the info folks!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I've been using 7 on both an old XP PC and very extensively on a fairly speedy MacBook with snow leopard.

It works great. It's very solid. I can't verify that would be the case for everyone's system though. Everyone has different systems with different OS gizmos, processors and ram etc etc that might make problems. But overall AS7 is very solid in my humble opinion. I have used and tested every single feature.

----------

Physics can require a TON of layers. I mean... more layers than I have EVER needed in an AS file. Were talking hundreds of layers (I think I am pushing close to 700 layers in one file). AS 7 appears to handle this without a hitch (generally low point count layers). I started to forget I was actually working with that many layers until I looked at my layer palette.

-vern
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Completely excited about each new featureee! New features that finally have resulted almost totally different that I was able to deduce for Sarina words, but I'm completely exceed for the incredible news! :D

...Heyveeern! Hi :) And... since you are here and I'm not able to buy my copy today for stupid problen with my credit card limits :( (that I hope to solve tomorrow in the morning) ...I'd like you'll precise as more details as posible about that new Vector Curve type or what ever it be that you was talking about, PLEASE! It's simply you can't say something like that and then don't offer more details :roll:, so do it for my little (and so tired today) heart :)

Another thing that intrigues me, is that in the "Overview" tab of this PAGE, inside "Special Effects" section, can be read this:
Add line effects such as Shaded, Soft Edge, Splotchy, Spots, Halo and Gradients.
And I'll kill for it doesn't be a mistake! So PLEEEASE (again) tell me if that lovely shape effects have bee re-added to Anime Studio and I think I won't ask for noOothing more ;)

Well, and what can I say about the new line path modification tools, it's simply like a dream came true, that so complex lines with only a few points, sniff! :cry: I started to think that never would see that kind of advanced features in AS with my own eyes! :shock: So I really have no words...

Of course I'd love some other things would be improved, like Sequencer and Timeline/keyframe posibilities in general, Layer/Shape shorting and layer's hierarchy system, etc, etc... but... even though I totally agree that it worths the upgrade! Too much incredible features instead :)

Oh, BTW, do you think that the new path following feature has an option to rotate the follower accordingly with the curve? Cause I have not seen it in the video but it'd seem to me a weird lack... Ah! And how I'd love that some of that Physics where available at shape level, but... well, maybe for the next "Soft Body Physics" engine :roll:

Well, sorry for so much questions but I've to maintain myself entertained in some way until tomorroOow, so... thank you in advance for any feedback :)

...SO LOoONG!
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Ramón López wrote:Another thing that intrigues me, is that in the "Overview" tab of this PAGE, inside "Special Effects" section, can be read this:
Add line effects such as Shaded, Soft Edge, Splotchy, Spots, Halo and Gradients.
And I'll kill for it doesn't be a mistake!
I'm sorry to say that this is a mistake. I'm emailing the web folks now to get this sorted out.
Ramón López wrote:Oh, BTW, do you think that the new path following feature has an option to rotate the follower accordingly with the curve?
Yes, this is possible.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

heyvern wrote:Physics can require a TON of layers. I mean... more layers than I have EVER needed in an AS file. Were talking hundreds of layers (I think I am pushing close to 700 layers in one file). AS 7 appears to handle this without a hitch (generally low point count layers). I started to forget I was actually working with that many layers until I looked at my layer palette.

-vern
I just want to point out that Vern has been doing a lot of experimenting with physics and coming up with some amazing effects. It's true that you can use hundreds of layers, but that is by no means a requirement of using physics. You can create interesting physics simulations with just 3 or 4 layers. (Don't want anyone to think you need to use hundreds of layers.)

-Mike
Genete

Post by Genete »

I haven't had the opportunity to full test this new version as beta tester because I don't have native Windows OS in my computer. Anyway I've run the first release (there have been about 8 revision cycles or so) in a virtual machine and I was amazed completely by the features and the global speed up of the application. This is really a mayor version upgrade. It has features that I've not seen in any animation application before.
Congratulations Mike and all the Smith Micro team!!.

Now the question, when would be the Linux version available? :roll:
-G
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Ramón,

The new "curve" for vector layers is very hard to describe in words. I will give it a shot:

It has to do with how the shape of a curve between points "moves" when a point is moved. In the old legacy curves, if you moved a point the curves didn't always bend or adjust the way you might want. With the new curves when you translate a point the curve sort of... bends around orienting with the new position of the point. It sort of averages the curve position better between points. Like I said hard to describe. You really have to see it.

This is going to make animating point motion and shape changes look better, and easier to get good results. For example this should make joints like elbows and knees work "better". It won't solve all of those problems but it will help a lot. The elbows and knees won't "compress" as much. they maintain more volume.

------------

Yes, you don't need hundreds of layers for physics... but for goodness sakes it soooooo much fun when you do. ;) I have a physics animation that is several minutes long and getting longer... all physics all the time. One thing going to another and another. Lots of layers. It's one very long physics simulation. It plays practically in real time.

------------------------------

Another HUGE bonus for physics is AMAZING FLASH EXPORT. All layer physics (not bone physics controlling vectors though) is based entirely on layer rotation and translation. When you export a huge long physics animation to SWF the file is VERY SMALL because it instances the layers instead of creating key frames on every frame.

This obviously doesn't apply to bone physics controlling vectors because the points are translated and the same key framing takes place.

-----------------------------

Another cool bone physics feature.... amazing... I am still playing around with this one....

Motors on bones. Theoretically you can create "walking" or "hoping" bone contraptions that move on their own without keyframing. I created a simple one but it only had three bones and fell over after a few steps. It would over rotate after a while and lose it's balance. Basically I looped a bone motor keyframe reversing motor direction. This does not loop the animation, it only loops the direction of the bone motor. So one leg moves back and forth. I set friction high so it would sort of walk across the screen. Eventually it took a too long step, fell over and just kicked it's legs stuck on its back.

Will keep experimenting of course. :)

-vern
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

OK, thank you very much for the quick explanation about the Shape Effects that, in some or other way, I suppose I still know but I resisted to lose all the hope about that curious/thorny issue... :roll:

Lost Marble wrote:Yes, this is possible.
Of course! In that case is exactly what I hope/wanted to heard! :D Incredible if path following could be applied too directly to bones! But I suppose that shoud wait to another iNcREdiBle update :), hmmm... only I can't avoid to wonder if all this path following thing will be accesible by the Scripting Interface in a way that it could be applied to any object, I mean, in the same way that now you can rotate a Bone, a Layer, a Group of Points, etc... basing his rotation in sound volume in example, independently whatever object be, hmm... tch! I'm not sure if I've been able to explain it... *

Well, I've just read the new multi-processing render capabilities and I can't do other thing that taking my hat off to you, definitely the icing on the most delicious cake 8)

* I think I wanted to refer if the feature is more like a "Curve function" that you can apply to any object (that would be AWESOME) or a "Layer function" that is limited to work over layers. I hope it have more sense this time...
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Ramón López wrote:* I think I wanted to refer if the feature is more like a "Curve function" that you can apply to any object (that would be AWESOME) or a "Layer function" that is limited to work over layers. I hope it have more sense this time...
It's a "layer function", and it's actually quite simple:

You can tell a layer to follow a path (some path that you have previously drawn in a separate layer). Then, there's an option that has always existed called "Rotate to follow path" (in the Layer Settings dialog). Previously, this would make a layer rotate to follow its direction of movement with layer translation keys. Now it also takes into account the path that the layer is following.

Another cool thing about path following is that you can tell an object to bend as it follows a path. Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVM9KMNl2IY

Aside from the dog's moving legs, I think there are two keyframes in that file.

You can imagine applications for animation, but it can also be used for still objects (bend text along a path, etc.).

-Mike
Debo

Post by Debo »

Is there a trial version?

Obviously, after my experience with 6, I have to be cautious.