No
63%
Yes
37%

Total votes: 41
erik

Not so happy any more

Post by erik »

What happened to my favorite animation software?

The freehand tool is limited. The skew tool doesn't do what I want it to do. What happened? Can't size the timeline without detaching it first. Uhm... what's next?

Let's go back to version 6, skip the fancy 3D stuff, stop using the word 'Poser', and simply improve on the wonderfull unique 2D features of ASP. I still love the software.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Rudiger

Re: Not so happy any more

Post by Rudiger »

erik wrote:What happened to my favorite animation software?

The freehand tool is limited. The skew tool doesn't do what I want it to do. What happened? Can't size the timeline without detaching it first. Uhm... what's next?

Let's go back to version 6, skip the fancy 3D stuff, stop using the word 'Poser', and simply improve on the wonderfull unique 2D features of ASP. I still love the software.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Fair point about the freehand tool. Curvature support has been added to it, which is good, but I think it must have only worked for a limited set of angle and pixel tolerance settings. The correct thing to do would have been to fix this problem, but Mike must have ran out of time, as he simply hard-coded tolerance values! The pixel tolerance is now 2, which is why you get huge clusters of points for small rounded curves. This is really a bug, I think.

As for the skew tool, and resizing the timeline, they appear to be exactly how they were in AS6. Care to elaborate?

Also, I'm sick of all the hate the 3D features are getting. I mean AS has supported 3D object import ever since the very beginning in the Moho days, so if anything, the 3D features are long overdue for an update. There's no reason AS can't have good 2D and 3D features at the same time. No one is forcing you to use 3D if you don't want to!
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Rudiger wrote:...but Mike must have ran out of time, as he simply hard-coded tolerance values! The pixel tolerance is now 2, which is why you get huge clusters of points for small rounded curves.

I thought it was hard-coded too, but there appears to be a way to restore the old freehand options panel described at the AF forum. Btw, the default values seem to work pretty well with my tabletpc.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

I'm not afraid about 3D cause I don't think developers want to become AS into a super complex and realistic new 3D app so, meantime they gives simple (as usual) and internal solutions to simplify some tasks and give us more liberty and possibilities, I'll be happy. The only think I'd like to tinge is, if you do it, do it well :), I mean, give us better 3D strokes rendering (and as much similar as possible of vector ones), some lighting control, and, of course, the so asked vector/image z-buffering to allow total elements integration & interaction, hmmm... I really don't know, but if that is more or less the idea behind all this... I think I (definitely) like it :D

PS: Of course the thing I don't like at all is the Poser dependence direction... but, if they have decided to merge some functionalities for mere company interests, I don't know what can we do against that force apart of chatting and polling in vane...
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Ramón López wrote:I mean, give us better 3D strokes rendering (and as much similar as possible of vector ones)
Yes! If 3D is developed more, imo, better rendering should be at the top of the list. Another option would be point/line projection through space so that we can create a nice vectored 2d projection of our 3D geometries. At least that would look consistent with the 2D.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Now that we have 3D in AS you may want to check out Swift 3D.
Imago

Post by Imago »

Before adding new features, Smith Micro have to fix the bugs.
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Woops. Yes, I agree they should fix the bugs first! :D

So here's an order I would like:

- Bugs:
- Switch layer bug!
- other bugs

- 2D improvements:
- add raster frame by frame capabilities
- other

- 3D:
- better rendering/vector point projection
- other
JohnArtbox

Post by JohnArtbox »

As pro software I would really prefer to see Anime Studio Pro maintain a focus on it's two d capabilities while extending the essential 2.5 /3d components. multiplane camera should have full control over focal length.
motion blur needs to be improved even it is a simple brute force multi pass option.
And bugs need fixing. I'll never use the three d components in a serious project and the whole poser option leaves me cold.
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

JohnArtbox wrote:As pro software I would really prefer to see Anime Studio Pro maintain a focus on it's two d capabilities while extending the essential 2.5 /3d components. multiplane camera should have full control over focal length.
motion blur needs to be improved even it is a simple brute force multi pass option.
And bugs need fixing. I'll never use the three d components in a serious project and the whole poser option leaves me cold.
You can already control the focal length of the camera using the Zoom tool. Also, you can already do brute-force motion blur, simply by multiplying up the frame rate and using a utility like Python Imaging Library to merge the frames together.
Bugs that were reported have been fixed in a timely manner in the past, so don't see why this version will be any different.
erik

ASP rocks!

Post by erik »

I totally respect Mike and I love ASP.

I share my thoughts on new ASP versions, being a professional TV and filmmaker that's been using the software each day since the first version of Moho.

It's hard for me to criticise, because on the whole it is a fantastic tool and I wish I was smart enough to create software like this.

The latest version however does not improve on 2D features that could very well need a bit improvement (for instance: motion blur, drawing tools, bones, timeline tools). There are new features that are kinda funny, but I will never use them. I will never let ASP render a 3D scene. There are so many great 3D tools around, even for free (Blender). It's a great idea to be able to import 3D, but really. All these 3D models in the library. It is probably fun for the Debut version, but no professional animator is ever going to use them.

I liked APS 6. Version 7 has new features that I will probably never use. I'm sorry, but for me it was a waste of money. However, I'm eagerly awaiting version 8!
erikk

Post by erikk »

neeters_guy wrote:but there appears to be a way to restore the old freehand options panel described at the AF forum.
Please forgive my possible ignorance. AF forum? Where dat? Could someone point me in the right direction?

Because man do I want my pixel tolerance back on the Freehand tool.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

erikk wrote:
neeters_guy wrote:but there appears to be a way to restore the old freehand options panel described at the AF forum.
Please forgive my possible ignorance. AF forum? Where dat? Could someone point me in the right direction?

Because man do I want my pixel tolerance back on the Freehand tool.
Sorry. I'm referring to the Animator Forums run by MKelley and SynthSin75:

http://www.animatorsforum.com/

The thread is under "Problems, Solutions, and General Discussion" and topic name is "AS7 freehand tool issues?". Apparently the freehand tool uses the same script as AS6, so it may be simple matter of commenting/uncommenting some code. There should be a downloadable a file there.
chucky

My VOTE 3d YES......... POSER files NO

Post by chucky »

I haven't voted as I think there is a third option that really would be the best for all concerned. (All exept the poser pushers)

3d yes but not poser.
Poser is a terrible folly, we want to use the anime tools not lumpy poser ones.
It is slow crude and the rigging is freeakn awful. The fact that SM is trying to force poser on us even from within this other software is significant.
I suggest SM are more interested in poser than Aspro, even though ASPRO has far more potential as a viably usable software than Poser which is a bloated fart-ware , any affiliation with it (other than the compulsory obj import ) taints and weakens ASPRO.

I guess SM were worried about ASPRO stealing thunder from it's flagship 'poser" that's why they we don't see Anime bones in a 3d space, but instead get the awful clunky poser offer instead.

This is more about business than sense, and we all know that the two are almost mutually exclusive.

I am so disappointed about the redirection of this app.
It is so well positioned to be great, but looks like it will be absorbed by the business machinery that now PWNS it.

There were many clear ways for this app to spread its wings wider especially in the area of 3D space and 2.5 d ( I think Mike should built 3d skeletal system that project forward on to the layer plane- thus contrlling a 2D rig with a 3D bones system), but just trying to plug poser into it was just about the only bad idea AVAILABLE AND sm TOOK IT...
Which shows once again that management are in control , and confidently driving toward a complete disaster.
It is not uncommon for product lines that pose a threat in the marketplace to be sabotaged in the interest of destroying competition, the best place to do this is from the inside, if you can get senior management in on it, then the job is tooooooooo easy.

POSER = FAIL
fracturedray

Post by fracturedray »

I've built a lot of 3D models for a living so I consider AS my break from 3D. I may look at it down the road but not I'm really interested. But I think it is fine to add it for people who may have never used 3D and want to get a tiny taste of it.

What I really wish is that they added Inverse Kinetics to the bones since the "Lock" on bones is a little weak. This would make life a lot more easier. Has anyone ever ask for it? I figured it was an obvious move forward since 3D programs have had IK for 15 + years now.
Hi animation world.