Beginner Seeking Help On Deciding Between Debut or Pro

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

bry72

Beginner Seeking Help On Deciding Between Debut or Pro

Post by bry72 »

Hey Guys,

I am a beginner and when I say beginner I mean I have never used any type of animation software.

I have an idea of what I want to do for my animation but I need some help from you guys on which version I should choose or if there is an alternate route I should take.

So here are the details of what I want to be able to do:

-Import real life photos for background scenes.
-import a photo of a real life object (like a spoon, for example) and make it come to life using the bones technique, adding a face and making it "talk"
-import my own voice over audio files that I will be creating in Audacity
-import audio sound effects files
-import audio soundtrack files

I called the sales department and asked if the debut version allows for multiple audio tracks. He told me to download the pdf manual but I couldn't find how many tracks the debut version offers.

Now I know the debut version has a "beginner's mode" but I'm not sure if the pro version does. Since I am so new to this, the beginner's mode would a MUST for me.

So based on the what I have listed above, should I go with Debut, Pro or perhaps an alternate route?

By alternate route, I mean this. Say the debut version doesn't allow for additional audio tracks to be added and the pro version doesn't offer a "beginner's mode". Would an alternative be to do most of the work in Debut (animation along with the characters speaking using my voice over audio files) and then import it into a video editing software program that allows multiple audio tracks so I can add sound effects and a sound track?

I'm assuming that if I take the alternate route, I wouldn't need anything fancy in the way of video editing software. If the alternate route is the best way to go, what video editing software would you recommend if I'm only needing to add additional audio files?

Thanks.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

debut is limitated, but let you import audio (I'm not sure, but I remember it was four tracks max). You can always use another software to compiling your audio tracks (free, as audacity), so this shouldn't be a real problem.

Anyway, if you are just starting, Debut is excellent and will be ok for you. Technically, Debut can make almost everything Pro does.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
tonyg

Post by tonyg »

I'm still using AS 5.6 PRO.
It does most of what you list but the audio is limited.
Using an external Video Editor is best, at that version, as also useful for stitching scenes together and adds the audio functions.
I used Ulead VideoStudio 11 which is a bit clunky and I am pretty certain there are better editors out there but does the job for me.
Might be a mutinous suggestion but look at AS 5 or 6 Pro as they're pretty cheap (e.g. on Amazon). The extra functions in AS7 seemed beyond my own beginner status.
Can't say for other version but the debut has limited number of frames which means the Video Editor is even more necessary.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I have done over 2 min animation on debut 6 in one shot before. So I am guessing 125 seconds 3000 frames limit is about right and imo that's more than anyone should need in a single shot.

As selgin stated you can always combine your audio in Audacity and then import that into AS to save sound track room.

I only import sound into AS if it is for speaking. Other then that I use Sony Vegas to add FX and background sounds.

Also, you can buy debut and always update to Pro if you need it. I think the cost of debut + upgrade to pro is same cost as buying pro outright.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
tonyg

Post by tonyg »

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you shouldn't be shooting scenes in short bursts just you'll need a video editor anyway so might as well use it for audio as well.
bry72

Post by bry72 »

Thanks for the input, guys, Some of your responses have brought up other questions I now have:

-sbtamu, you mention that Animate Studio only allows up to 2 minutes per scene. That indicates that video editing software is a must. I thought that was something built into the program. For example, you create your animation, create your scenes and audio and then piece it all together for a finished product all within Anime Studio. That is obviously not the case.

-tonyg, you mention that I should get the Pro version. However, you did not say whether or not the Pro version has the "beginner's mode" like Debut 7 has. Whatever version I choose HAS to have a "beginner's mode". I am starting from the very beginning here.

You guys mention recording voice overs in Audacity (which I was going to do) and importing it into Animate Studio. I know I will be doing this and using the lip sync function where you drop in the audio file and Presto! the character's mouth moves in sync with the audio. So the question then becomes, if I have 4 characters in one scene and I input voice overs and use the lip sync function for each character, will I be able to do all that in Anime Studio if all 4 characters are exchanging dialogue? Are there enough tracks for something like that?

I've got one vote for Sony Vegas and another for Ulead Video Studio. Anyone else?

No one has mentioned whether or not I can import a regular photo (like a picture of a bar) and use that as the background for a scene. Same for my question of importing a photo of a real spoon and being able to turn that into a character that comes to life with the bones technique, mouth movements and audio.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

yes you can import images for backgrounds. You can import spoons. You can make the spoons talk all in debut. But the spoon should be PNG with a transparent background layer.
Sorry for bad animation

reneuend

Post by reneuend »

bry72 wrote: So here are the details of what I want to be able to do:

-Import real life photos for background scenes.
-import a photo of a real life object (like a spoon, for example) and make it come to life using the bones technique, adding a face and making it "talk"
-import my own voice over audio files that I will be creating in Audacity
-import audio sound effects files
-import audio soundtrack files

I called the sales department and asked if the debut version allows for multiple audio tracks. He told me to download the pdf manual but I couldn't find how many tracks the debut version offers.

First, the sales department personnel should be severely punished. Obviously, doesn't know his own product.

you can import any audio file as long as the file type is supported. I use MP3s. I'm not sure offhand all the different filetypes. I stick with MP3 because that is what I export from my mixer software. By the way, whether you go with debut or pro, you'll want a audio mixer of some sort so you can change the volume, pitch, length, etc....

You can import photos as well as video for backgrounds.
I've tried importing images and then making them animated. It was hard for me, but I'm sure its possible. You might want to check out Parker's tutorials. Adding a mouth and making it talk is fairly easy.

There are several things I learned a long the way that the manual doesn't explain. I would strongly suggest being a frequent visitor to this forum and getting some good tutorials. I didn't get tutorials and it took me quite a long time to get the hang of this stuff, but maybe I'm just slow! :?

bry72 wrote:
I've got one vote for Sony Vegas and another for Ulead Video Studio. Anyone else?

No one has mentioned whether or not I can import a regular photo (like a picture of a bar) and use that as the background for a scene. Same for my question of importing a photo of a real spoon and being able to turn that into a character that comes to life with the bones technique, mouth movements and audio.
I HATED Sony Vegas. Very steep learning curve and after a couple years and a new computer build, I couldn't reregister my software and Sony wouldn't help me out even though I had the keys.

I bought Magix and really like it for building my animation. much easier and a heck of a lot more features.

Audacity is Okay, but if you can spend $75, I'd go with MixCraft5. Extremely easy to edit tracks and very powerful.

I used debut for about 2 years and finally went Pro....Pro is so much nicer, but you can learn with debut at first and then upgrade. One of the big limitations for me was the fact that you could only have a very small frame size on your videos.
bry72

Post by bry72 »

Well it looks like Debut will be the version I buy. Still curious if there are enough tracks available within Debut that can hand 4 characters with audio files using the lip sync function in a scene.

I am going to create a new thread in regards to help with choosing video editing software and audio software. Even though this forum is for Anime Studio, audio and video editing software are a necessary part of the process.
reneuend

Post by reneuend »

With Debut, you can only have 1 audio file. Because of this, you'll need to sync it using the video software. I built a music video in anime studio with NO sound and then using Magix Movie Edit Pro, I mixed audio tracks along with video tracks.
bry72

Post by bry72 »

Well that just sucks big time. That would mean I would only be able to use the lip sync function for one character and anything past that I would have to manually create the mouth movements and then try to sync it to audio in video editing software.

If I have to go the manual route for the other characters, is there some kind of software or something that can make it easier for me to get the mouths to move to the audio dialogue tracks I will be creating? It sounds like it is INCREDIBLY difficult and time consuming to do it that way versus the lip sync function.

I am assuming the PRO version doesn't have this one audio track limitation and that I could have as many characters as I want using the lip sync function? Is that correct? It's just a shame the PRO version doesn't have a beginner's mode but I guess it's called PRO for a reason.

As far as Magix or any other Windows based editing software, all seem to have system crashing problems. On the other thread I started, someone has mentioned just using Windows Movie Maker but even the reviews on that is that it crashes as well.

I just wish there was some way to create all the animation and audio in Windows and then somehow import those files into a Linux based video editing software. I use Ubuntu(Linux) and I'm having to use XP simply because Anime Studio and my Yeti USB microphone only work in Mac and Windows.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

You can lip sync all the characters with one track and just go back and delete the key frames when that character is not supposed to be talking.
Sorry for bad animation

reneuend

Post by reneuend »

bry72 wrote: I am assuming the PRO version doesn't have this one audio track limitation and that I could have as many characters as I want using the lip sync function? Is that correct? It's just a shame the PRO version doesn't have a beginner's mode but I guess it's called PRO for a reason.

As far as Magix or any other Windows based editing software, all seem to have system crashing problems. On the other thread I started, someone has mentioned just using Windows Movie Maker but even the reviews on that is that it crashes as well.

I just wish there was some way to create all the animation and audio in Windows and then somehow import those files into a Linux based video editing software. I use Ubuntu(Linux) and I'm having to use XP simply because Anime Studio and my Yeti USB microphone only work in Mac and Windows.
To be honest, I thought it was easier to use the Pro version because I didn't have to deal with limitations. I'm fairly new to Anime Studio..maybe 1 -2 years of experience and I felt a sigh of relief when I started using the pro version. But, I did it the hard way. I didn't go searching for forums or tutorials, I just started experimenting. Experimenting is good, but I wasted a lot of time. Even the manual that comes with Anime Studio doesn't cover everything.

I've never had Magix crash on me using Win7 64bit. I've only used 4 different video editors (Sony Vegas, MS Movie Editor, Ulead, and Magix). Ulead and MS Movie are easy, but very limited. I hated Vegas, I love Magix. I guess the only way to find out is to look at the features and try out some demo versions.

I have friends that use Linux. I'll check with them about Video editing software on Linux. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do something like this as long as the Linux version gives you want you want.
bry72

Post by bry72 »

I'm fairly new to Anime Studio..maybe 1 -2 years of experience...
Problem there is I have ZERO experience. Nada.
I've never had Magix crash on me using Win7 64bit.
I'm using a 5 year old laptop with XP home edition 32-bit. I've got 1.7 Ghz and 512 RAM. If people are crashing on newer computers, mine isn't going to stand a chance.
I have friends that use Linux. I'll check with them about Video editing software on Linux. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do something like this as long as the Linux version gives you want you want.
Can you see if some of them are using Anime Studio in Mac or Windows and then transferring to a Linux based video editor. Wouldn't be the same comparison if they are using Blender or Gimp for their animation.
barryem

Post by barryem »

I'm pretty much a beginner, too, and I have been for a long time. I play around with simple animations using AS. I began with Debut and upgraded to Pro. I decided to upgrade more out of curiosity than because of any need. The stuff I do is too simple. Still, I'm glad I did mainly because it makes it easier to follow some of the tutorials I find linked to in this forum.

Since you have no experience at all the beginner's mode in Debut is probably going to help some and if you decide to upgrade to Pro later the cost will be the same as if you got Pro to begin with.

One thing I'd strongly advise is not to worry about buying the one you need for your intended project now. Pick one and get it. If you get debut you aren't stuck with it. But you'll probably spend a lot of your time learning before you get serious on your project anyway and after that you'll know more about whether you need Pro.

There's no wrong answer. Just get one and get going. :)

Barry