Character Wizard

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

@ruibjr: please post a screenshot of your modified character in comparison to its elephantman-ish origin to illustrate your point. I think what many more experienced users are concerned about is that by having to replace everything manually after creation you're effectively wasting your time - you could use old rigs or create new ones from scratch faster than bending a CW rig to your will...

Dont take this as criticism, but to judge your extreme excitement with the tool I'd really love to see it in action!
Wena Parry

Character Wizard

Post by Wena Parry »

I never store my characters in the library so I can move them to another computer.

I am waiting for you guys to get to work on v8 before i get it.

So dose the Character Wizard affect this aspect??

RUIBJR, PLEASE POST A SCREEN SHOT OF YOUR WORK.

Wena Parry
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Character Wizard

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Wena Parry wrote:I never store my characters in the library so I can move them to another computer.
I am waiting for you guys to get to work on v8 before i get it.
So dose the Character Wizard affect this aspect??
RUIBJR, PLEASE POST A SCREEN SHOT OF YOUR WORK.
I don't think you can judge by someone else screenshot. The quality of that screenshot will depend of the talent of the user, not of the character wizard feature.
For me, the big advantage of this feature is you can have premade actions for all your characters. That's much cooler than automatically create beautiful characters. Editing a premade character is faster than creating one from zero with all the actions. You can even erase all the inside layers of the rig and only let the bones, then start drawing your style. The fantastic thing is even having only the rig from the CW you can reuse all the premade actions.
I'm not telling the Character wizard is perfect, but as most of the AS features, you have to think how to get the best from it. We all know this software is incredibly flexible.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Wena Parry

Post by Wena Parry »

ruibjr in the light of what selgin's remarks, could you post a peace of work onto utube so we can see it please.

I have not seen anything from v 8 Character Wizard

Wena
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Wena Parry wrote:ruibjr in the light of what selgin's remarks, could you post a peace of work onto utube so we can see it please.
I have not seen anything from v 8 Character Wizard
Oh, I didn't mean Ruibjr shouldn't post his work, sorry if my comment sounded like that.

PD: I was searching some post where an user (I don't remember exactly who posted a couple examples), I couldn't find them, but still trying.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Hey wena, here's a couple of quicktime movies samples i did with the wizard. one shows a front view walk cycle i did to compare to the wizard (not real great, i'm still learning) and the other shows a simple base character i modified from the wizard. also check the share your work section for "really bad front walk cycle" thread. neeters-guy has a screen shot there. i'm having trouble with youtube at the moment so my vid's link is broke there but i included the vid in this link.

edit; added new youtube link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD1PKz8X6HA

http://www.mediafire.com/?hl68scseit2nyds
Last edited by jonbo on Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

selgin wrote:PD: I was searching some post where an user (I don't remember exactly who posted a couple examples), I couldn't find them, but still trying.
Here's the link to Jonbo's post, the first one to post CW examples I believe:
really bad front view walk test

I also posted my own custom example, a character generated from CW without adjustment:
Character Wizard Mod Example
A simple example to be sure, but I'm a little disappointed no one commented. :cry:

(btw, selgin's happy walk action works fine on this character too.)
ruibjr

Post by ruibjr »

Hi.

It is not a master piece.
I just added the "lighning" symbol to the right arm.
ALl I had to do was to duplicate the "Upper Arm R" layer then I replaced the shape that was copied from the original Upper Arm R with the symbol.
And it moves as if it was part of the original arm.
One can do this to add anything on top of the original body parts - even to replace them with new ones.

You can check the walk cycle here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDLw4fgTUnM

I am creating a Clark Kent head now.
I will post this new head here, so anyone can use it.

As a matter of fact, it would be really cool if people posted body parts/heads/eyes/etc somewhere, so people could use them.

Cheers,

Rui
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Hey Rui, please feel free to start a thread for everyone who wants to post their mods in. Maybe in the SHARE YOUR WORK section. I think it would be helpful for people to go to one place to find them. I would start one but I don't have any mods ready yet (been lazy) but I will soon have a hand mod and maybe an eye set. I've got some ideas for some different heads that I still need to work out the bugs for. :)

edit: I have started a thread that we can use as a place to posts your mods, feel free to post them there. here's the link to the thread

viewtopic.php?t=19280&start=0&postdays= ... highlight=
kpanime

I wonder.......

Post by kpanime »

If there's a script development for that........ :twisted:
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

I have a question.
MacBook Pro OSX El Capitan Ver 10.11.6
Anime Studio Pro Ver.11.2.1

Is there any way to edit all the views (move points etc.) at one time
In other words, Make the body fat in the front view and have it fat in all the other views?
I tried reference layer but I did not achieve what I'm after.
I could be using the reference layer incorrectly. (Chances are I am, first time using a reference layer.)

Can this be done or should I leave orbit and come back to earth?
Thanks for any and all help.
Bob
I use a MacBook Pro, and Anime Studio Pro 11.2
http://uncle808s.blogspot.com
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Reference layers work for that. If you flip a reference layer, the animation and any changes made to it should be a mirror image of the original.

You have to be careful that you're editing only the original layer if you want the the reference to always match it. Once you add keyframes to the reference layers, those keyframes will override the referenced keyframes and the link to those channels will be broken.

Sometimes you want to do that and other times it will be an unwanted accident. If you accidentally edit the reference when you meant to edit the original, you can reset the reference in two ways:

1. Right-click over the reference layer and select Sync All Channels To Original. Note that this does EXACTLY that, so if you have any animation specific to the reference, it will be erased.

2. if you only wish to reset some channels, you need to do this in the Timeline window. Right-click over the channel you wish to reset and select Sync Channel To Original.

Hope this helps.
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

What is the placement of the reference layer?Above or Below the Main character folder or,
above or below the view layer if the view layer which one?
I read the manual and the tutorials for reference layers but they don't mention this usage.

I hope I am clear as to what I want to do.
Change one view layer like Front view Head move points then have all other views change the head points like in the front view head. So each head in each view is changed.
But you are saying that as soon as I manipulate a bone it the animation these changes will be lost?
Is that correct?
I really appreciate the help.
Bob
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

uncle808us wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:51 pm What is the placement of the reference layer?Above or Below the Main character folder or,
above or below the view layer if the view layer which one?
I read the manual and the tutorials for reference layers but they don't mention this usage.
Layer order shouldn't matter. As a matter of fact, the layer that's being referenced doesn't even need to be in the same project. (i.e., when you use Import By Reference.)
Change one view layer like Front view Head move points then have all other views change the head points like in the front view head. So each head in each view is changed.
But you are saying that as soon as I manipulate a bone it the animation these changes will be lost?
Not exactly.

Let's go back to the original example you described where you wanted to give a character a bigger belly and have this reflected in each view.

This probably doesn't make sense for the front view for most characters, but it probably depends on the character design. Where using a reference layer might make more sense is when you need to edit a drawing to be more or less identical to another drawing, so, I think left and right views might be better candidates for using a reference. For example, draw a complete left side view in one layer and then reference that layer and rename it as the right side view. Make sure the origin is set to the character's spine so it mirrors correctly when you horizontally flip the layer or group.

Now, if later you decide to make the character fatter, leaner, more buff, or whatever, edit the left side drawing and the right side drawing will automatically update with the changes.

Some changes won't come automatically, like when you add a point to the original. In this case, you'll need to manually choose Update Layer Reference and enable Replace Mismatched Vectors. There are other things that won't automatically update, so it's a good idea to experiment with this feature before committing too deeply to it.

If things do get really messed up, like after you've added and deleted a lot of points in the original, it's usually easier to just delete the reference layer and create a new one than to try and fix the problem directly.

Re: your question with the bone, this only applies if it's the bones layer that's being referenced. If you change the bones animation in the original bones layer, the skeleton in the referenced bones layer will receive the changes automatically. But if you start animating the skeleton in the reference directly, the animation will become different from the original. if you decide that's not what you wanted, you can use Sync All Channels To Original, which will replace the animation with what is in the Original. Naturally, this will wipe out any changes you made to the Reference.

Now, if what you really wanted is to keep the new animation you have in the Reference, I think you can just copy and paste the changed keyframes from the Reference to the Original. Then you can use the Sync All Channels command on the Reference so it becomes an exact copy of the Original again.

Of course, it's best to avoid messing up the Reference in the first place. To help me with this, I like to rename and color code my Reference layers. For example, if I have a 'Head' group that I wish to reference, I'll rename the reference version 'Head REF' and maybe color code it red to make it really obvious that I shouldn't edit this layer.

This is when I wish Moho had the option to lock a layer from editing. If the re-naming and color coding doesn't keep you from making unwanted changes to a reference layer, Wes (Synthsin75) has a useful script that will let you lock a layer. You can download it elsewhere in these forums.

Hope this helps.
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

Thanks so much. This will have to be studied and digested.
I appreciate it.