Incremental save script

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GCharb

Incremental save script

Post by GCharb »

Hello all!

Anyone knows if there is an incremental save script?

I searched the forum at no avail!

As in you select it and it saves your file with the next digit available, as in saving filename_03 to filename_04!

especially if it could be assigned a hotkey.

Thanks!
DK

Post by DK »

Hey GCharb.
Not sure about your incremental script but a nice addition to such a script would be "Auto Saving work periodically"!!!!!! OMG I wish there was a script that did that! I have lost so many files due to periodic crashes in AS.

It does'nt happen often but it does happen.

Cheers
D.K
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

DK I like your idea, but it would be important that the periodical save be incremental (which I think is what you meant.)
I have had files in 5.6 which corrupt (?) or crash AS for some reason, it would be important to be able to go back and find a viable file should there be some kind of issue. It would be horrible to have periodical autosave render all your work unusable in a file which do longer works.
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

I agree Madrobot, this is why I shut off the auto save feature in AS8. It would really suck to have a file made completely unworkable and not be able to retrieve your hard work.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I wasn't thinking of an auto-save but yes, this could be a added as a functionality.

What I had in mind is the ability to save with a new digit at the press of a button, because I do often save that way to keep a copy of a project at several stages.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Whenever I've had a crash and AS8 recovers it, it opens as a new file called 'recovered file' or something - it doesn't autosave over your original file (yes that would suck)
DK

Post by DK »

I was more interested in an "auto incremental save" script that was useable in 5.6. I still use this version most of all it as I still it's feel the most robust build of all the AS releases. ,(Well....it's the one that is the most stable on my systems). If I ever need to use video tracking or the other latest features (which is extremely rare) I will open up AS8.

Hey scripters are you listening to this?
;)

Cheers
D.K
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

funksmaname wrote:Whenever I've had a crash and AS8 recovers it, it opens as a new file called 'recovered file' or something - it doesn't autosave over your original file (yes that would suck)
That would defy the purpose of an auto recovery.

I had a few recovery myself with 8, works good.

I installed a Lua editor, will have a look at some scripting next week when actual work is done and maybe have a go at a increment save script.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Hi guys,
I will repeat what I posted long time ago in other thread:

Anime Studio files are text files. This makes them perfect to use a version control system. Setup a version control system in your computer is vey easy. There are many of version control systems out there. You just need to setup it, add the files of the project and remember to commit each stable change in the control version system.
I know it would be good to have it included inside Anime Studio but it is not difficult to work it by your self.

I reccomend git for linux environents. For windows I have not much experience but Mercurialseems to be good and simple. Git wold be fine too.

-G
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

On Mac OSX, you can use the Automator to crate a copy of your anme file every n minutes or so. Similar solutions should be available for Windows, too.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Hello slowtiger.

Same can be done under Windows, but not what I am looking for.

I need to save the different states of the scene I am currently working on with incremental numbers while your solution would only make backups of scenes on the hard drive.
2ner

Post by 2ner »

I like Maya's incremental save system best.

You just hit Ctr-s like a normal save, and the file is saved like normal, but the previous version of the file is archived in a separate incremental saves folder with .0001, .0002, .0003 etc. added to the filename.

So you never have to rename and you continue using the main file without worries because you can always go to that folder if you have to.

3ds Max has a neat auto backup which always has 3 (default) files in the autoback folder, but you have to copy those out right away when you have a problem because they are constantly overwritten. Saves your ass though.

I'd like to see both these features in ASP.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

GC: it works like that when you, like me, save every 10 sec ...
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

slowtiger wrote:On Mac OSX, you can use the Automator to crate a copy of your anme file every n minutes or so. Similar solutions should be available for Windows, too.
Hi Slowtiger, could you please tell me how you set up automator to do this, what is the workflow?

Ulrik
DK

Post by DK »

I think we are wanting the actual program to do an auto backup sequential save not for some other program to make a backup copy of the file you hopefully saved before you created the 250 layer swtch file :)
It's always while you are working on a massive file in AS and during the intense concentration when the sneakycrash gets you as you get so tied up in animation you simply forget to save.

I'm not sure that any external program can save a file from wthin the particular software you are using while you are working in it? Maybe I'm wrong?

Cheers
D.K