Help Shape the Future of Anime Studio

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

synthsin75

Re: Help Shape the Future of Anime Studio

Post by synthsin75 »

drumlug13 wrote:Yes, deleting works fine. I always assumed that a computer always viewed cut and delete as the exact same thing. I didn't think about a cut actually saving info on a clipboard. What I was trying to say was that reaching for the delete key is kind of a drag when all of the main shortcut keys are right there for the left hand on the keyboard. Can we set up a delete command on that side of the keyboard?
You can change the Moho keyboard shortcuts so Ctrl+X works for Edit>Clear instead of Edit>Cut.
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

synthsin75 wrote:You can change the Moho keyboard shortcuts so Ctrl+X works for Edit>Clear instead of Edit>Cut.
I tried using the clear command from the drop down menu earlier but it wasn't working at all for some reason. But now it's working just fine with its own shortcut assigned.
Thanks Wes
Adam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Alternatively, if you're on the Delete Edge tool, hold down Ctrl and wipe over the points and it works like an eraser. Or, if you're on the Add Points tool, press and hold D and Ctrl to temporarily access the Delete Edge tool in Delete Point mode.

This trick also works with the Freehand tool. That said, I wish Ctrl to delete points worked with the Freehand tool where a point eraser makes sense. (Ctrl deletes edges in Freehand with no option to 'erase' points.)

Hope this helps.

P.S., I'm glad we have these options but I also think the temporary tool switch with modifier keys is just too many combos to remember. In a future version of Moho, I'd prefer to see the point and line drawing tools simplified and combined for multipurpose use in a future version. When I'm trying to create vector art quickly in Moho, it sometimes gets way too 'clicky.'
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

several mentioning of motion caption and tracking with kinect being a good new feature to work on. Many of us are now getting a graphic tablets that we can now use a pen and move things around at the tip of the pen. So I am thinking that using the pen or joystick one could move the smart bone with a pen and could record the movement into keyframe when playing back the animation at normal speed. Is that a possible new feature request?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

It's possible but I'm not sure how practical that could be for general use. Maybe for some facial animation? Many, many years ago, I worked as a character designer on a project where somebody used a midi console with sliders to add facial animation to a character, in combination with a joystick to control head movements. It was a very early form of mocap...more like recording a puppeteer's actions instead of the human body. The project was a pitch for a game show with a 'live' cgi host. It didn't go anywhere but, even though the tech was crude by today's standards, I thought it was pretty neat at the time.

For Moho, maybe if it was implemented the way Adobe's Character Animation system worked? Even there though, the only advantage is that you can record the animation as a 'live' performance but at the expense of quality. I think the system has some valid but limited uses (like the 'live' cartoon interviews on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert,) but it would be kinda gimmicky to use for regular series animation.

Would I use it? Probably not. But that's just me.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

I would use it to control facial emotion of a character. Either with a joystick or using a kinect cam multiple tracking.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Adobe's system just uses a web cam, like the kind built-into many laptops. It's actually pretty neat how it can recognize and track facial features without markers, and apply the motion to your character's face. Because it's RGB video-based, your face needs to be well lit of course. Obviously, it can't track what it can't see.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Almost ten years ago ASP

Of course , now with smart bones to help out this type of thing would work Soooo much better.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's pretty cool Chucky!
Xork

Post by Xork »

Fahim,
Might there be a way to wrap a triangulated mesh around a 3-D object such as a cube or a sphere, or a custom object. Something to brainstorm perhaps?
~Xork
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

chucky wrote:Almost ten years ago ASP

Of course , now with smart bones to help out this type of thing would work Soooo much better.
You can track each point one at a time, and its possible, but tedious. My thinking that if you can track a single point, why not be able to do multiple tracking at once.
pihms

Post by pihms »

CrazyTalk Animator has a recent version of one that for face used with the iPhone/iPad, which would be useful for those animations that are on time constraint and want to get come facial expressions in. Mocap can be imported in CrazyTalk to the 2D models to create the movement needed. I see that as a great selling point for CrazyTalk, but CrazyTalk really doesn't have that professional quality and abilities that Moho has. Adding this, along with the current point tracking abilities, would give Moho another edge that I see starting to come to other animation software.

On a side note, I look at the success of different animation software developers and their counterparts. Poser, a one of a kind has done great until Daz3d not only came out with great models, in a great designed store, but have a competing software, though for free. Though, I'm not promoting "free" for Moho, and I really like the purchasing model they use, pay one time, not yearly. Adobe Animate, Toon Boom, Daz3D (though it is 3D), and CrazyTalk have awesome websites that promote their products to the fullest. SmithMicro does a pretty good job at promoting it, but a good example is to look at those websites. My point is, people will buy a good product for being a good product, but a good promotion, flashy display of selling points, and a sense of quality will draw them in like honey. Look at Maya, an industry standard for 3D animation, everyone knows it, yet they still have a flashy website promoting it. I would like to see SmithMicro put up a pages like this for Moho and Poser. Right now, Moho looks like it is just another product of many that SmithMicro has, which in a way, doesn't look special on the site with so many in the menus to choose from.
Plecithince

Post by Plecithince »

How wonderful it would be if we had everything
Plecithince

Post by Plecithince »

ruscular3d wrote:
chucky wrote:Almost ten years ago ASP

You can track each point one at a time, and its possible, but tedious. My thinking that if you can track a single point, why not be able to do multiple tracking at once.
This is 10years old?
chucky

Post by chucky »

Sure is,
so is the old bastard doing the 'performance'. :?
Well, ten years old(er).
I've moved house 8 times since then.
Good times. :lol: