Wacom Inkling

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

The pen has to be in line of sight of the capture device and must observe a minimum distance form it. I'm not sure what the radius degrees are but I would assume top corners are out of bounds.
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

I think a pad with a light table built in and clamps to keep the paper in place would be a great way to have a animator light table, and a slot to hold 2 paper one to draw the other to onion skin with.

Can this be hook up to the computer and see your progress in real time instead of waiting for the drawings to be finish?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

@ InfoCentral: pen needs to stay > 2 cms from receiver edge according to the guide http://84.254.112.146/pages/Inkling-en-inkling.html - which I guess means about 2.5-3 cm of the top edge of the paper is unusable.
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

DK wrote:I can see the Inkling on the international english Wacom site but Australia is'nt listed as a country they will deliver to :( The Australian Wacom site does not have the Inkling listed at all.

D.K
"Just had confirmation on the RRP $229 inc gst, I was off by $10.

Regards

Vaughan Stott
BuyWacom Administrator
www.buywacom.com.au"
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Mad.
Have you pre-purchased one yet? I can't see any listed at the link you posted.

Cheers
D.K
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

hayasidist wrote:@ InfoCentral: pen needs to stay > 2 cms from receiver edge according to the guide http://84.254.112.146/pages/Inkling-en-inkling.html - which I guess means about 2.5-3 cm of the top edge of the paper is unusable.
Yeah, but the receiver isn't 180 degrees so I wonder what portion of the page is cut off on the top corners?
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

DK wrote:Hi Mad.
Have you pre-purchased one yet? I can't see any listed at the link you posted.

Cheers
D.K
Hello mate
I haven't pre-purchased
The link is the guy's sig and the email is off the DLF email list
Just wanted to give you the AU price :)

Apparently it's not on the AU site yet, but I don't think it will be long...
DK

Post by DK »

Hey Mad......
Got an email back from Wacom Aus this arvo......
Hi David,

Sorry, we do not accept pre-orders, and it will be available in Oct.
I haven’t got the exact date for this yet, and once we receive stock I will email you about it..

Regards,

Tina
Cheers
D.K
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Hi,

about that unusable "top edge" / "top corner".

This from the wacom site:
the pic is a screen grab from the "how to .." video overlaid with info from the technical specs (receiver Dimensions (W x D x H) 71 x 32 x 16 mm)

hope that clears up questions about
what portion of the page is cut off on the top corners
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

These have been available from other companies for several years now. As wacom products all seem to be manufactured in China I dare say they probably come from the same factory? The Wacom version is probably higher spec and more suitable for drawing than these however.

http://www.danedigital.com/6-Zpen/1-vid ... ation.html
ponysmasher

Post by ponysmasher »

Didn't know that the exact same technology existed before. I've only seen the ones that use a special paper with a fine grid on it.

I think Wacom is the first to market it for artists though. All others have been for taking notes (so no pressure sensitivity or layers and the software has been aimed at converting notes to text).
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

you can buy cheap versions (50GBP) but, as ponysmasher says, they're low spec, they don't do SVG and have attracted some negative comments about mis-selling (e.g. software is a non-optional extra at 30GBP). Here's an example. http://www.maplin.co.uk/pocket-pen-tablet-usb-513994
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

All of these capture pens are pretty much useless for AS users. They need to capture live and move the mouse pointer on screen. I think I will pass until it does that.

Dale
DK

Post by DK »

I actually own a Wacom Cintiq, one (of the big ones) and its amazing but....For pad doodlers like me I much rather drawing on paper as my hand tends to rely heavly on the papers natural resistance to the pen or pencil not to mention the drawings always look better. Drawing on glass though is completely unnatural to me as I just can't control the pen at all as it glides around.

As for AS...I don't really care if a pen system doesnt draw directly into AS as I am more proficient in plotting over my scanned sketches with the mouse and from my experience directly drawing vectors into AS gives unwanted results.

Now you could say, why don't you just sketch on paper and scan them in? Well thats exactly what I do right now but the inkling at $200.00? I reckon I would have paid for this in 1 year just in savings made on sketch pads alone as there are 3 people in my household that draw constantly not to mention the time saved in having to scan bits of paper.

EDIT (OOPS :oops: ) Forget the last part...I Forgot....you are still drawing with paper with this thing. hehehe....

Oh well..... this thing might be a dud but then again it might not.
Lets see.

Cheers
D.K
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Try taping one sheet of paper over the top of your tablet. You get almost the same resistance that your use to.

I not trying to tell you not to buy a Inkling. I'm trying to get people to complain and let Walcom know, direct input to programs is preferred. If there was a 5 second time lag but was able to control programs directly, I would shelling out 200 tomorrow.

I would have bought the pen that uses special paper it it had real time input. But with out it I just wait and save my money.

Dale