Wacom Inkling

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

madrobot

Wacom Inkling

Post by madrobot »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbBA1DRE84

Would be pretty cool.
The vectors open in Ps, illustrator - probably would not play nice with AS.
(hmmm, wonder if ToonBoom would read it?)
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

*jaw hits floor*

... HOWEVER...from a quick look at their website, the only semi-universal vector format available is .SVG -- so would need a couple of steps to get drawings into AS. Still...
Last edited by jahnocli on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

Ayyeeeeeee carumba!!!!!!!!!!!

*wonders if it makes sense of the blocked/dark areas (like if you fill an area) and doesnt just do a pants million strokes*

I repeat ***ayeeeeeee carumba***

I want one anyway... and then ASP needs to allow import of the format.

I draw better with a pen than a tablet..no idea why..just do.
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

HAVE YOU SEEN THE PRICE? that is affordable.. assuming that the uk one will be the same as the US but with £ ..even so..
I want one.

thanks
--Sven
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Yep $200us is pretty good.
Looking at the videos it does generate a shit-ton of points, and we might not gbe able to get the vectors into AS - yet. But it is exciting and bodes well for the near future I would hope.
JCook

Post by JCook »

If it exports as SVG, then you can open it in Illustrator and save it as an Illustrator file for importing into AS. I don't know how many points there would be, though; I imagine that could be a problem. Also, we know how AS imports Illustrator files - not always that well. But it seems it COULD be done.

Jack
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

yeah I watched the vids closer and it just does the strokes..however since you can save layers I think thats a good compromise as you could do crappy shading and stuff and maybe trace it out on a new layer bearing in mind how it vectorises..

also I think the additional points will be "weight" related as its pressure sensitive.. guess you don't really need all that pressure stuff so if you could turn it off I would imagine it would gen a lot less points.

For ASP or not I'll having that for a delayed B'day pressie ;)
--Sven
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

170 Euros / 150 GBP in Europe. available end of Sept.

seems interesting but maybe have a look at the user guides http://84.254.112.146/?en/inkling and specs for storage capacity / battery life http://www.wacom.eu/index2.asp?pid=9227&lang=en
"+/- 10 pages" up to A4. need to keep line of sight between pen nib and receiver. need to stay at least 2cm away from the receiver. I guess the receiver has to be kept firmly locked in place to maintain drawing coherence.

I haven't found anything yet about consumables (i.e cartridges) price or availability...
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

hmmm great info...
I think you cant complain at £150 they will let you order now :D... bound to be some technical pains and the consumables are something you really need to take into account

course we'll no know for a while if it is a useful piece of kit or a novelty item that gets put in a cupboard.
--Sven
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

hayasidist wrote:170 Euros / 150 GBP in Europe. available end of Sept.

seems interesting but maybe have a look at the user guides http://84.254.112.146/?en/inkling and specs for storage capacity / battery life http://www.wacom.eu/index2.asp?pid=9227&lang=en
"+/- 10 pages" up to A4. need to keep line of sight between pen nib and receiver. need to stay at least 2cm away from the receiver. I guess the receiver has to be kept firmly locked in place to maintain drawing coherence.

I haven't found anything yet about consumables (i.e cartridges) price or availability...
Good news.. from the FAQ... (oh and the server is unwell lol)
Q. What kind of ink refills does Inkling use?
A. Inkling uses standard mini ballpoint refills with a 1.0 mm ball size.

Q. What colors of ink are available?
A. Wacom sells refills only in black, but other ink colors are commonly available from stores that carry ballpoint refills.

Also what I thought was pretty sweet from the vids was that you can play back the timeline and select segments in time to move to different layers...just need a 5 second pause between catastrophic strokes.
--Sven
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Bah! Humbug!

Another useless gadget.

I still use a B&W video camera with RGB filters to import drawings made on paper, was good enough for my great grand dad, it is good enough for me I always say!

BWAHAHAH!!!

Sorry bout that! :)

This looks cool as hell, I wonder if the format is an open one, if so, it might be feasible to make a converter for AS.
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

LOL bah humbug...

multiple formats.... from raster(png jpg, tiff etc) to vector.. Illustrator,

SVG and the original vector format that I cant remember that starts with a 'W' wiv?

you're right of course... may end up a fad and getting it to work with ASP it something totally different ;)
--Sven
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

In the 80s I used to draw on cells that I then put on top of my screen for tracing, now, that was cool technology! :)

The fact that this is Wacom makes me feel it is not a useless toy, but to find a really worthwhile use for it might take some doing!
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

what would be really useful would be to import SVG into AS.... (do I feel a script coming on?) .... or maybe even for AS to use XML/SVG???????? (yeah yeah - I know I said "no need for big file format re-think" in another thread... but this "open file structure" option could also be a step towards addressing the "legacy save" issue.)