using masks in ASP 8 isn't recommended

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

superonIII

using masks in ASP 8 isn't recommended

Post by superonIII »

just wanted to write a "heads up" that it has masking options but it also has issues.

here's a recent response from a smithmicro technical type:

"Thank you for this information. I was able to reproduce what you described, and in speaking with the lead engineer for Anime Studio, he explained that this is indeed a result of changes made to the masking system, and that this is due to a limitation on the current masking technology. Version 8.0 had a different masking issue that was resolved with 8.0.1, but the fix for that previous issue is also responsible for this "jutting" issue that you're now seeing in 8.0.1. Because of the limitation of the masking software being used, fixing one of these issues will necessarily cause the other issue to resurface. Alternative masking technology may be considered in order to avoid both of these issues, but that will take some time and as such will likely not be available any time in the near future."

arg:(
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Masking works well for the most part, We usually find a work-around for the bits that do not work properly.

This is usually the case for most software! :)
superonIII

Post by superonIII »

GCharb wrote:We usually find a work-around for the bits that do not work properly.
yeah, i've been working on finding a work-around for a while, it keeps me busy of an evening, maybe i'm just being dim about it as i can be that quite successfully...

keep on bashing those rocks together;)
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

you don't actually describe what the problem is - it would probably be useful to know what the issue in 8 and 8.0.1 actually are as you suggest not to use masking but give no actual reason or explenation of the problem?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I use mask always and almost never have had problems. Maybe if you post your specific problem we can help you to get a workaround.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Maybe post a file with the problem, so We can have a look?
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

superonIII posted about this issue here:
Masking issues
I tried rendering 2.6_2.moho file as he suggested and the "jutting" issue is evident. The issue is hard to describe. It's like the part that is masked is slightly wider than the actual mask.
v.6.2 / v.8.01
kellz5460

Post by kellz5460 »

i don't even know what masks are let alone use them...hmm
OMG make it stop!
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

kellz5460 wrote:i don't even know what masks are let alone use them...hmm
Masking is great once you learn it, but it can be hard to understand and I still have trouble remembering what settings I need to use but I usually figure it out after playing with the settings.\
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
superonIII

Post by superonIII »

i think i've been waiting for that post, looks like a great page you've put up there Gilles, thanks for your input. may i ask which version you used for this? sorry, maybe the info is in there somewhere...
it'll likely take me a few days to get through it and digest the information so until then i'll leave you with a picture of what it done to bits of my zebra...
(colour has been "enhanced" to make the problem more obvious)

if you carry on down after hitting rock-bottom you'll either get face-full of petrol or magma.
superonIII

Post by superonIII »

ok, that's cool, it was a pretty quick one and explained the cutout situation well which was especially nice as i'll be using that a lot(once i've got the other things right:)
i must let you know though that following your instructions isn't so great for the stage "Click and drag from the center of the Moon image in the work area and bring the shape as closely as possible to the radius of the Moon."
as the layer has been placed in as a mask the moon image layer becomes invisible;)
so perhaps just put it in there after or turn off the masking at this point?
also... croissant moon? coolbeans
got me thinking that's were the term derives for a moment but had to see what wiki had to say:
"The word crescent is derived etymologically from the present participle of the Latin verb crescere "to grow", thus meaning "waxing" or "increasing", and so was originally applied to the form of the waxing moon (luna crescens)."

we can teach each other and both learn something new (not saying you didn't know that but i'm guessing it's quite likely).

just adding that i know looked up croissant on wiki and it tells me about the disambiguation, so i'm going to have to take back my teaching card and take another learning one instead;)

thanks again
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

superonIII wrote:i think i've been waiting for that post, looks like a great page you've put up there Gilles, thanks for your input. may i ask which version you used for this? sorry, maybe the info is in there somewhere...
it'll likely take me a few days to get through it and digest the information so until then i'll leave you with a picture of what it done to bits of my zebra...
(colour has been "enhanced" to make the problem more obvious)

if you carry on down after hitting rock-bottom you'll either get face-full of petrol or magma.
I use the masking tools a lot to create eyes and eyelid blinks, and haven't seen this problem to date. So I tried to reproduce this error and failed.

So one question. On the mask layer ( the shape providing the mask outline), there is an option in 8 to exclude the stoke. Can you check your zebra layer to see if the exclude option (bottom of the dialogue) is clicked.

Assuming it is, then you could try using the stripes as a texture image. Without going into details (ie, posting character examples) I have a 4-legged character who could well be friends of your Zebra ... I found the texture images work really well.

Rhoel
superonIII

Post by superonIII »

Rhoel wrote:...exclude the stoke...
Rhoel
always a good option if the opportunity should present itself;)
with excludes strokes option.
i've made this one smaller, you can see the "lines" appear the same width whatever size the picture is, this helps me to think that it's not a vector line causing the problem. maybe vector line isn't the correct term but i felt some distinction need to be made here between the expected and otherwise unexpected. probably would have been simpler if i wrote stroke and line instead but too late now.

that's a good point though, i've tried really rather hard to not include strokes in the design but this thing just loves them, what version are you running Rhoel? chances are if you're not using 8.0.1 you won't see this.
here's a quick example for you:

open a new vector layer and make a square with no stroke filled with red (or whatever), now create another vector layer and make a white rectangle within that that bisects the square horizontally across the bottom half.

now create a bone layer and make it a masked group and use the square as the mask (drag layers into bone group), go back to the rectangle layer and change the layer blending mode to screen.

now preview... what do you see?

if i've written this clearly enough to follow you should be looking at something like this:

i'm pretty sure that's not right, honestly don't know though, can someone tell me different?[/img]
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

superonIII wrote:what version are you running Rhoel? chances are if you're not using 8.0.1 you won't see this.
8.0.1 and nothing.

Can you post the red square example so I/we can run it on different systems.

What OS are you running? I'm a ludite, running XP Pro.

Rhoel