Crashes due to too much going on in the animation?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

babyshoe

Crashes due to too much going on in the animation?

Post by babyshoe »

An animation in 872 x 486 24 fps, about 5 minutes long, keeps crashing before it can finish rendering on my Mac Pro.

There are 4 characters, some with bones, a simple traced-image background that's animated, a bubble particle-effect, and stereo music that's 24bit 96khz.

The characters have animated layer fx such as shadow, shading, and HSV, together with blur and opacity.

What's making it crash? would I have to render some of these elements in sections and bring them back as movies? I'm especially confused because I've successfully rendered animations this long previously.
Tom Ross
mijazi.com
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

It could be a RAM issue. Are you using AS8, if so try turning off the auto-save feature under the preferences menu. This is a known problem. You can also try rendering the particles as a separate render and re-importing it as a movie like you mentioned. Depending on the particle count, this is most likely the problem.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

Is it a single AS file? Have you considered breaking it into smaller shots?

Are you rendering as a movie or as an image sequence? If you do it as a sequence at least you can restart at the point it crashed.
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

I have that issue when I'm rendering in After effects, this happens when rendering to a movie file, I think it's because all the frames are held in memory until it is ready to be stitched into a movie, so the longer the segment rendered the more memory is neccessary.
"and then Man created god!"
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

The first thing is to render with out the sound. That can be added later in a video editing program. That might give you enough memory to render.

Dale
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

This has always been a problem with software and complex scenes and not necessarily associated with Anime Studio particularly. The solution commonly taken is to render in layers and use a video editor to re-composite.