Editing Anime Studio Clips in iMovie

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

voxac50

Editing Anime Studio Clips in iMovie

Post by voxac50 »

I am using Anime Studio Debut 8 with an intel iMac.When I save clips as Quicktime movies, they lose image quality. Then when I use iMovie to edit multiple clips together, and add transitions and other effects, the end result is more washed out, with pale colors, and less image sharpness. Is there a way to retain resolution when exporting from Anime Studio? Is there another editing program that would be better for maintaining image quality in post production?
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

When you export from AS what are your export settings? Have you tried exporting in Animation with millions of colors?
"and then Man created god!"
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

You need to use the correct codec. Material from AS to be edited in iMovie should use best quality, a codec like animation or PNG with highest quality setting.
voxac50

Post by voxac50 »

Before I exported using animation and millions of colors settings. I just now tried using PNG and millions of colors, and now the colors seem to have kept their saturation better. But the edges still do seem softer. Also, when I increase the size of the Quick Time player window to about 6 X 10 inches, the same size as the work image in Anime Studio, the outline edges are much softer than they are in the same original image. Are the exported animations only meant to be played back at smaller dimensions then, not full screen, for instance?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Uhm, you also need to keep an eye on the actual dimensions of your video. AS only exports in the project dimenions size, and in half of that size.

iMovie has a bunch of predefined sizes, of which most are small and crappy. Choose "Custom" to use the same dimensions as in AS.
voxac50

Post by voxac50 »

That sounds good. I am so far unable to find a custom size setting option in iMovie. When I start a new project, the only options I am given are Name, Aspect Ratio and Frame Rate. Also in Anime Studio, I can check properties, and it says the project size is 720 X 534. Would this be the size I want to enter into iMovie custom settings, when I find them? Thanks.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I think you can only tell iMovie dimensions during its export dialogue.
voxac50

Post by voxac50 »

Thanks. I will try this.