render farm for mac

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Lukas

Re: render farm for mac

Post by Lukas »

I have a hard time figuring out how Deadline works (tried it on Mac and Windows), care to share your experiences with it GCarb? Is it worth it?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Lukas wrote:I have a hard time figuring out how Deadline works (tried it on Mac and Windows), care to share your experiences with it GCarb? Is it worth it?
Deadline is easy, you install the repository on a shared drive or folder, then you install the client on each nodes, then you point the deadline to your as directory.

You start the scenes from inside deadline!
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

GCharb wrote:
Lukas wrote:I have a hard time figuring out how Deadline works (tried it on Mac and Windows), care to share your experiences with it GCarb? Is it worth it?
Deadline is easy, you install the repository on a shared drive or folder, then you install the client on each nodes, then you point the deadline to your as directory.

You start the scenes from inside deadline!
Thanks! I had no clue where to start. I'll give it a shot next week!
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Lukas wrote:Thanks! I had no clue where to start. I'll give it a shot next week!
NP, but I forgot to mention you need to start your queue from the deadline monitor utility.

Deadline is pretty solid, and even after a full reboot the queue resumes flawlessly, I never missed a frame with it, and it supports a huge amount of rendering software!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Holy crap that's freaking awesome! I was looking over Deadline thinking "well it can't possibly work with Anime Studio".... HAHAHA! There's the freaking plugin right there baby! This is great. I have LightWave so I could use it with that too.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

heyvern wrote:Holy crap that's freaking awesome! I was looking over Deadline thinking "well it can't possibly work with Anime Studio".... HAHAHA! There's the freaking plugin right there baby! This is great. I have LightWave so I could use it with that too.
Yes, I use it with Softimage, Blender and ASP, some have plugins to queue files from within the main animation software, like Softimage and Blender, some files need to be queued from within the deadline monitor utility.

The list of software supported.
http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/deadline-6-plugins

The guide for Anime Studio.
http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/deadline-6-animestudio
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Lukas wrote:
J. Baker wrote:Well, I'm currently rewriting MoRen for OS X at this very moment. Maybe I can make it so that MoRen watches a folder and if a new *.anme file is put in that folder, MoRen will render it.

I'm not sure if that is the best option or not and I'm not making any promises. I'm just fiddling with it now and seeing where it takes me.
I realise this is an old thread, but what's the status of your MoRen project? I'm interested too!
I haven't done much with MoRen lately, as I've been working on a few other projects. I'll have to go back to the source code and remind myself what I've done with it. I'll check it out in a couple of days. I just moved to a new house and have to get things back in order here. Are you using Anime Studio on OS X ?
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Thanks for the guide GCarb.

J. Baker, yeah I am on OS X.
amanandink

Post by amanandink »

Hey Giles, maybe this is more of a question for you but we wanted to try Deadline, we're running a test on Windows 7 but can't seem to figure it out. For the time being, we're running the repository and the client on the same machine to test it out (maybe that itself is a problem?). We've tried using the render executable as both the 32 and 64 bit versions, ie the Anime 9.5 exe on that machine's local drive, and we've tried having both our anime file and our output on both local drives and the server. In all cases, according to the Slave log, the executable works, and there are no problems with the argument file (the anime studio project file) or the output. It moves through each frame without error, taking about 5 seconds on each one but no image sequence ever appears in the output folder. The scanner in the monitor panel always says they're missing too.

Seeing as the monitor and slave always seem to be communicating just fine, I can't see how it's problem with repository/client, but perhaps the repository needs to be configured differently?

Other idea is that Anime itself is not co-operating but Deadline thinks it is, so it just moves from frame to frame without reporting a problem.

Any leads would be really helpful. We're new to this stuff.

Thanks
J