render farm for mac

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

amanandink

render farm for mac

Post by amanandink »

Hi

We are getting close to our crunch time on our series and I was wondering if anyone knows if there is render farm possibilities with ASP 8 on mac.

My google searching has found this http://animerenderfarm.battybovine.com/index.html but the link to the mac dmg is broken.

thanks
j
dueyftw

Re: render farm for mac

Post by dueyftw »

I got the windows download to work. At:
https://github.com/BattyBovine/AnimeRenderfarm
Is the source code. It is in c++ and should compile on a mac. I think.

Dale
amanandink

Post by amanandink »

Hi Dale

you make it sound so easy, i've tried compiling it but to no avail, terminal keeps throwing out a bunch of errors when it reads the files and my basic knowledge and google searching is not enough to fix them or get it work.

j
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Render farming from AS requires AS to be installed on all machines. The only true way for this to be done is if the developer creates render slaves that are not full versions of AS. Otherwise, just install AS on multiple machines and batch render.

I made an app sometime ago called MoRen. But for some reason it had command line issues when AS was being updated. Not sure if the problem still exist or not.
amanandink

Post by amanandink »

Hi J

Yeah that is what we have to do at the moment, we have ASP installed and batch render by hand on each machine, it gets the job done but it would be great to speed up the process some way

j
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Well, I'm currently rewriting MoRen for OS X at this very moment. Maybe I can make it so that MoRen watches a folder and if a new *.anme file is put in that folder, MoRen will render it.

I'm not sure if that is the best option or not and I'm not making any promises. I'm just fiddling with it now and seeing where it takes me.
amanandink

Post by amanandink »

thats sounds great, we will happily test it out for you

j
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Ok, Moren is working again but there's some more I need to do. Here's what I was thinking...

1.) You have AnimeStudioPro installed on all your slave machines. No need for them to be running as MoRen will do so when needed.
2.) You have a copy of MoRen installed on all your slave machines and running, while watching a folder for new *.anme files.
3.) When a *.anme file is sent to a slave machines "watch folder", MoRen will auto render it to a folder called "Render".
4.) Inside that "Render" folder will be a folder named after the *.anme file with the rendered job inside.

This way you can have multiple render jobs in their own folders, that's within the "Render" folder, for each slave machine. After everything is setup and running, all you have to do is send your files via network to the slave machines "watch folder" you want.

This is going to take a couple of days. ;)
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

It appears verbose is not working in the latest ASP. Without that, I'm unable to code the app so it knows when a job is done and to continue with the next. I have reported this and hope this gets fixed sooner then later. There's not much I can do now. I will continue when this gets fixed.
amanandink

Post by amanandink »

Thats a pith but thanks J for trying.

J
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

No problem. Once the bug is fixed, I'll hop back on it. ;)
trung277

Post by trung277 »

Very nice share, thanks for all
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

J. Baker wrote:Well, I'm currently rewriting MoRen for OS X at this very moment. Maybe I can make it so that MoRen watches a folder and if a new *.anme file is put in that folder, MoRen will render it.

I'm not sure if that is the best option or not and I'm not making any promises. I'm just fiddling with it now and seeing where it takes me.
I realise this is an old thread, but what's the status of your MoRen project? I'm interested too!
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I use Deadline here, which runs on the Mac as well as Windows and Linux and is free for 2 machines!

http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/deadline
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

GCharb wrote:I use Deadline here, which runs on the Mac as well as Windows and Linux and is free for 2 machines!

http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/deadline
Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks GCharb!