Noticed Smart Bones work on more than 360°

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

marked4life

Noticed Smart Bones work on more than 360°

Post by marked4life »

Hi

I was experimenting with smart bones and I noticed that Smart bones can rotate more than 360° and ASP9 Saves and uses that information.

Here is an example of what I mean. This will take you 2 minutes to do on your end
(should be quicker than downloading any ASP9 file I could upload)

Make a small Circle
Create a new bone for it (so the smart bone doesn't move it aside from the smart action)
Create a Smart Bone in the corner of the screen. (Rename it add action etc..)
Okay now on say 2 seconds in rotate the Smart Bone clockwise (or CCW) 10 full rotations.
On the same frame increase the size of the circle until it's huge.
Go back to the main timeline and Manipulate the smart bone.
Notice it takes 10 full rotations of the bone for the circle to reach it's maximum size.

I stumbled on this while experimenting with a 3D looking 2D head turn (eyes mouth nose etc..) When I turned the head to the right until he was "facing backwards" with the Smart Bone. I came back later and spun the Smart Bone the wrong way on the next Frame I:E I Kept rotating it in the same direction that previously made it face backwards (leaving me with a blank head) I realized my mistake, but instead of deleting the keyframe and starting over, I reversed the spin direction of the Smart Bone and had to spin it the same amount of times again for the face to appear again.
It seems to mean that ASP9 is watching how many rotations of the Smart bone are made, whether you intended to use it or not.

I'm sure I can find a use for this. But at any rate I thought I'd point it out.
If someone already mentioned this before, I apologize for taking up your time.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Noticed Smart Bones work on more than 360°

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Very interesting discovery. I think it could help with to have controls as if a bone rotates, an object grows. For rigging characters, it could be nice to have different behaviors for the same arm, for example.
Nice, thanks for sharing.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I thought you knew about this selgin :) (remember your flag video during beta)
Personally I think it would be useful if once you go around to the start it goes back to zero (maybe an embedded script can do this?) as if you want to make a repeating cycle (like a bird flap) you would only have 1 key at start and finish regardless how many rotations you do, so that you can control flap speed with bezier curves...

There's probably uses for this, just remember that every time you go all the way round your halving the resolution of the keys you're placing, so 10 rotations would need 10x as many key frames to have the same resolution per turn as one rotation (obviously, only an issue of you need the resolution for smooth poses, hich will depend on the action)

Thanks for sharing!
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

funksmaname wrote:I thought you knew about this selgin :) (remember your flag video during beta)
Hehe, you are right! I already knew it... the good thing about bad memory is you got excited more often.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

selgin wrote:
funksmaname wrote:I thought you knew about this selgin :) (remember your flag video during beta)
Hehe, you are right! I already knew it... the good thing about bad memory is you got excited more often.
Lol, tell me about it!