Best AVI RGBA for x64?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chucky

Best AVI RGBA for x64?

Post by chucky »

What is the best quality AVI codec/format for High quality HD renders from ASPx64?

http://codec.kiev.ua/

There are plenty to chose from even from this list of freebs but I really only want one really good solution.
I'm using Lagarith atm ( good quality and rgba) , but I don't know if it's very commonly used.

Rant ...
I would like to find a reasonably universal alternative to QT png which was easily my favourite format, but since apple is messing us all around with their indiscriminately litigious behaviour effecting even their own customers, I have no other choice. :evil: - End rant

Any legit ideas?
InfoCentral

Re: Best AVI RGBA for x64?

Post by InfoCentral »

I just got an update to my DivX the other day so I know they are still working on it. :lol:

I really think mp4 should be fully supported by now. After all this is what most of the online video hosting sites use. I remember "back in the day" when AVI and MOV were the predominant video formats. AVI has long since been a no-no and a legacy for its huge file formats. Apple is pushing everyone away from the MOV format with its unpredicted practices on development of it. MPEG is still in development and a newer more robust version, H.265 also called High Efficiency Video Coding, it is due out next year promising streaming at twice the speed of the current H.264 standard.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
chucky

Post by chucky »

Thanks for the reply info central.
I am talking about a codec for actual production not post processed for high compression distribution.

MOV png at high quality has been the nearest thing for me to using tga image sequences which are meg per frame and a hassle to edit.
That's the type of quality I'm after not mp4 it's too compressed, great for sending through the net but not for production.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Yep, I have to agree with ya' there! Image sequence is what is always suggested for 3D work. It is never advised to render to final output. That is done in your video editing/composting program. I think the codec problem in Anime Studio can't be overstated. This really needs to be a top priority at this point. And I mean in some forth coming updates down the pike. I think they have done a great job on this release but if you can't get your videos out then the software itself becomes legacy!
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

Very much agreed. Some sort of lossless codec that actually worked would be a start. The animation standard was QT animation at 100% quality. Everyone seemed to be able to open that.

With the avi bugs in ASpro 64 (reported) I have to use the 32 bit version for anything that has imported video. For export I usually default to png sequences as I am usually using another application to put the video together. For video masters out of AS pro 64 I just don't know.

I've read a bit about people using the cineform codec which is supposed to be 'visually lossless' I haven't used it yet but here is a link to the free version:
http://gopro.com/3d-cineform-studio-software-download/
The codec has pedigree. I think the pro version was used on slumdog millionaire.
I think i might just give that a go when the AS avi issues are fixed.
Genete

Post by Genete »

I am talking about a codec for actual production...
For production I always recommend image sequence (png is enough). Apart of keep the whole result of the render without any compression loose, any image sequence is a time saver and the easier way to split the render in several computers.

Although newer computers are faster each day, the final render sizes are bigger each day too (i.e. 4K or higher frame rates). If the render would take more than some hours it is safer to render it in an image sequence than directly to a third party library (QT, or whatever). Nobody is out of risk of an electric failure...

Finally, any NLE video editor would accept image sequence. On contrary, are all NLE video editors ready to accept any video codec?

-G
chucky

Post by chucky »

Thats exactly why I like the png mov codec, it's just like png images but neatly tucked into a single file. I find single files a pain to work with .
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

chucky wrote:Thats exactly why I like the png mov codec, it's just like png images but neatly tucked into a single file. I find single files a pain to work with .
Yeah, there seems to be a little problem with that at the moment and SM has no control over it. Its all up to Apple since its 100% proprietary.

:cry:
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

I finally installed the Cineform/gopro codec for use in ASpro 64. Just for rendering tests so far as I got fed up with the basic ones. They either didn't work at all or messed up any gradient backgrounds. (to be fair I didn't try 'uncompressed' due to previous experience of stupidly large file sizes) The Cineform works really well. I renders fairly fast and is very high quality on the default. I couldn't find any artefacts.
I haven't tried the paid version but I can happily recommend the free one :D
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Squeakydave wrote:I finally installed the Cineform/gopro codec for use in ASpro 64. Just for rendering tests so far as I got fed up with the basic ones.
:?: How do you go about installing a codec that isn't included within ASP?
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

In this particular case I just downloaded the gopro software but most codecs come with some sort of installer. Once installed into the operating system any software that can use them should see the codecs.