Storyboard/Animatics

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

oliver43

Re: Storyboard/Animatics

Post by oliver43 »

This is my process...

Drawn on a modbook using Sketchbook Pro then I use that Photoshop script "PSD layers to Anime" and the rest is done in Anime Studio Pro. Also, I keep adding stuff to the library and reuse anything I can... Backgrounds, explosions, etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFHgWAgtfU4

Last edited by oliver43 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

That's a great looking and very detailed animatic. Way superior to my scribbled efforts :D
chucky

Post by chucky »

TB storyboard pro is an absolute killer app , there is no better solution for boarding (I have tried them all).. draw, edit for timing with sound output to pdf with all dialogue and action everything is customisable, output an animatic and drop it into AS as a layout template.
TBSpro you'll be laughing, worth every penny.
Oh yeah , nice work oliver

Of course you could even use AS (drawing could be better) it's got enough tools do do an animatic for personal use.
oliver43

Post by oliver43 »

ToonBoom Storyboard Pro is a great program. I use it all the time for arranging my sequences. Worth every penny is a matter of opinion... Drawing, there is no halftone or pressure sensitivity, like drawing in AS, so I don't like that.. The new versions of ToonBoom I think are only good for a year, so you have to keep buying licenses(I totally don't like that), I have an old version with a dongle so it's good forever.

If you already know AS, use that to make your animatics rather than try and learn a new piece of software. I find all the programs I use have their limitations(sketchbook, AS, ToonBoom, etc) the trick is finding what you can pull from each one to get the results you need.

What's nice about AS is you animate your drawings and can always go back and add some skeleton or something else to make it better. If you change a drawing you just replace the PNG and rerender and your all set.
InfoCentral

Plastic Animation Paper & Forground Reference Utility

Post by InfoCentral »

If you have Win8 then ToonBoom is giving away FREE copies of their Flip Boom Lite on the Win App store. With this program you can draw and animate. Not sure what file formats it supports? Don't forget about Plastic Animation Paper. It used to cost a bundle but you can get it now for FREE. With MotionArtist you can bring in your drawing and animate them. It is FREE during the beta cycle. One last plug for a program that I think everyone should have is Foreground Reference Utility. It really comes in handy from time to time and it too is FREE.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
chucky

Post by chucky »

I have the latest version of Toon Boom Story Board Pro, I have been using it for about three years with frr updates and no added costs or licence renewals, there is very good pressure sensitivity and full transparency options. You can make preset brushes and pencils , it is great for cleanup with gap filling bucket and a cutting tool that cut of overhanging lines and backfills. Yes paint behind.

AS need drawing tools as good as toon boom's, actually manga studio ex has really better vector drawing tools than any I can think of so I should say... AS needs drawing tool as good as manga ex, I would pay much more if there was one more tier of AS with these tools...maybe 'ASpro Extreme' :D .
oliver43

Post by oliver43 »

chucky wrote:I have the latest version of Toon Boom Story Board Pro, I have been using it for about three years with frr updates and no added costs or licence renewals, there is very good pressure sensitivity and full transparency options. You can make preset brushes and pencils , it is great for cleanup with gap filling bucket and a cutting tool that cut of overhanging lines and backfills. Yes paint behind

I'm glad there aren't additional costs... I don't know where I got the year license info? What's frr updates?

My version of ToonBoom doesn't have any pressure sensitivity or transparency, what version are you on?

I forgot mana ex does vector.
chucky

Post by chucky »

free updates sorry typo.
I'm sure it always had pressure and transparency, I'm on pro 2 but I started on 1.5 regular.
Wacom are pretty bad with their drivers for example they supply screen tech to vendors who make tablets then claim no responsibility when the wacom penabled screen doesn't have pressure with painter or toon boom and users have t scrabble for a home-made solution.
Wacom are one of those monopoly companies that don't give a crap, their products are pretty shoddy as well , pity I can't earn a living without them, wacom are dicks really, where are our A3 portable penabled tablets... eh, what with all this handbag sized stuff?
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

chucky wrote:Wacom are pretty bad with their drivers for example they supply screen tech to vendors who make tablets then claim no responsibility when the wacom penabled screen doesn't have pressure with painter or toon boom and users have t scrabble for a home-made solution.
Wacom are one of those monopoly companies that don't give a crap, their products are pretty shoddy as well , pity I can't earn a living without them, wacom are dicks really, where are our A3 portable penabled tablets... eh, what with all this handbag sized stuff?
Hear Hear
The adoption of a new penabled lifebook/slate pc seems to come with a wild goose chase for drivers. My Fujitsu Lifebook I took seriously a full working day deep-trawling forums until I found the right driver hidden under the hood of and overseas Wacom site.

I keep checking the tablet news and reviews sites for the A3 Chuck, seriously, I was sure one would drop soon with all this tablet stuff coming out so thick and fast?
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

The touchscreen thing seems to be gimmick of the month, phones that fit into convertable tablets... no pen.
When someone cottons on and does a big, light penabled tablet (convertable, dockable, sliding whatevermajig) at 17-21 inches, they will clean up
jezjones29

Post by jezjones29 »

I have a list of programs on my site at: http://www.animestudiotutor.com/animati ... storyboard

Both "Directors Notebook" and "StoryBoard Quick Direct" look interesting. Personally I use Autosketch pro on my android and import the images into Anime Studio.
chucky

Post by chucky »

It all depends on how much boarding you will be doing and how seriously you take it.
You can draw a board on a napkin , it could get you through some situations but if others need to read it or there is time and money riding on the production or you simply want to make a decent piece, then do it properly . time it properly, compose it properly.
If you aren't an auteur savant or if you want a rubbishy and amateur piece then you might want to draw your storyboard with cake on the nearest wall and just check it as you pass by occasionally.
Of course the how and where you do your storyboard means nothing if you don't know film language, so work on that first, the whys in boarding are so much more important than the hows.