720x540 from MOHO to Premiere Pro

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

HeyFromDale

720x540 from MOHO to Premiere Pro

Post by HeyFromDale »

Hello, My question, for an NTSC broadcast project, animate in MOHO at 720x540, and then edit in Premiere Pro at 720x540, then output to DV at 720x480? I understand the square pixels vs rectangle pixels and all that, my main question is if I should EDIT in Premiere at 720x540 (to keep the same safe zones as MOHO, and then output to 720x480 for DV as the last step.
Thanks
HeyFromDale

Post by HeyFromDale »

To add, edit in Premiere Pro at 720x540 "Square Pixels" then export to 720x480 DV
Thanks
HeyFromDale

Post by HeyFromDale »

To add, edit in Premiere Pro at 720x540 "Square Pixels" then export to 720x480 DV
Thanks
mr. blaaa

Post by mr. blaaa »

Sorry just read it. Your'e right i think.
At least i did it like you suggested once and it worked fine.
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

I think you posted this question at AWN, too? If not (and for people not on the AWN forum), I'll give my opinion a second time.

Converting to 720x480 won't change your safe areas (or any other size issues) unless you're cropping instead of scaling it. It just looks different because you're computer can only display square pixels (although I think Adobe has adjusted this in software now for AE and possibly Premiere, but don't quote me on that) So, it's going to look stretched when you switch over to DV. Don't worry about it, when you play it out of a digital device, like a DVD or DV camera/deck, the device will decode it to the proper proportions (although you should always run a test or two just to be sure the safe area is really as safe as you think it is...)

And as I understand it, the newer versions of Premiere (anything post v6 I believe) work much better and faster with DV footage, rather than uncompressed (or other format) video.

Typically, I'll run it through After Effects and do some image sweetening there, and export a DV file (720x480, .9 pixel aspect) and then edit it. You should be able to do the same thing in Premiere and it'll probably save you time if you convert it before editing.

The Adobe website has a pretty active forum for Premiere. They could probably weigh in with a much more technical (and probably correct) answer than you'll find here.
________
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
HeyFromDale

Post by HeyFromDale »

kdiddy, thanks for the reply. I did post at AWN. What I've found is that you have to set Premiere Pro's settings to Square pixels and same aspect ratio while editing a MOHO project. Then after editing, export Square pixels for computer file or D1/DV NTSC (0.9) [at 720x480] for broadcast. This keeps you in the 4:3 ratio. Thanks again.