Best comercial characters?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

braj

Best comercial characters?

Post by braj »

So I am slowly learning how to create characters from scratch, but the more complex things still elude me like cool blend morphs and head turns, as well as good controls to move the character. I am hoping to find some commercial character rig that I can re-skin easily and get a variety of variations from, and learn myself from working with the rig how to create my own going forward. I have no specific style in mind, just I'd like something flexible.

All of the characters at Content Paradise seem to not use features past 8, and from what I say didn't cover head turns, for example.
DK

Re: Best comercial characters?

Post by DK »

Hi.
Most of the characters at CP would have been done this way so they are cross compatible with all versions of AS.
I still develop CP characters in AS5 for this reason.

Cheers
D.K
braj

Post by braj »

Thanks, I bought your shark yesterday actually, I'll take a look at your other characters. I was looking for something that implements the techniques like this one:

http://www.animestudiotutor.com/bones/w ... cial_rigs/
pihms

Post by pihms »

I have incorporated those features that you mentioned in one of my characters, http://contentparadise.com/productDetails.aspx?id=22138 I agree with DK to provide more of a cross version by developing items and characters in an earlier version and allow all access to the content, if possible. I found that the features in version 9 has allowed for versatility with the character design and ease of use. As I do more and more designs, I'm finding myself doing characters in version 9 to provide the best possible characters, while using version 6 for those things that don't require all of those features that 9 has to offer.

I must add, DK's characters and props are very well done. A very talented artist. :)
DK

Post by DK »

Thanks for the compliment pihms. I must say I really like your style too. Braj, the White Shark was done a long time ago so the body movements back then were a little limited. That said I would love to start developing characters in Anime Studio 9 as I feel version 9 is a real milestone version. With the incorporation of smart bones anyone who has an earlier version would be crazy to not update to it as you can now create completely smooth turnarounds. Have you tried using smart bones as opposed to morph dials?

Cheers
DK
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

braj, if you are using AS9 you're probably best getting and analyzing AS9 content as there were numerous features introduced which might drastically change and improve the way you build characters. I would in your shoe's get this from Selgin (et al) : http://anime.smithmicro.com/characterpack.html - he is the master of versatility and simplicity in equal measure.

From a content creation point of view, I totally see why creators would still work in earlier 'universal' versions as otherwise they are greatly narrowing their potential market. But from your perspective, if you have AS9, try to learn from AS9 content. Not to say you couldn't learn a HUGE amount picking at DK's fantastic content and experience - but there may be now redundant 'workarounds' included in previous version characters, that are invisible to general 'users of bought content' but potential bad habbits for 'new users' of AS9. Learning the latest techniques will give you the shortest path of resistance to creating your own content for your own use.

Hope I've made sense :P
braj

Post by braj »

Yeah that was also what I was thinking, I've seen lots of tutorials that may be 'out of date' regarding 9 so am even reluctant to spend the time getting into them. I'll consider getting the official pack you mention.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

the fundamentals are important and will always serve you well - by all means watch as many tutorials as are freely available, but reverse engineering can be a minefield as without the fundamentals you won't know why something was done a certain way (or not)...
DK

Post by DK »

Totally agree with funk! most of CP characters rely on switch layers or 2-3 character views where you turn layer invisibility on and off including most of my stuff. While this method still suits some users who want a simple fast solution to animating developments in AS9 have made is extremely easy to make smooth turnarounds and many improvements to the timeline making it a lot quicker to animate. It's worthwhile spending the time and money to upgrade.

At the moment CP have an incredible offer on AS9 for only $59.00 if you are extremely quick!!!!!!

https://sites.fastspring.com/smithmicro ... d=13805843

Cheers
D.k
braj

Post by braj »

Yeah I have Pro already, so that is covered. And I am trying my best to learn, though apparently I have some learning disabilities regarding animation :)
braj

Post by braj »

So Selgin is Víctor Paredes? Anyhow I just ordered the 9 content pack, at the very least as a way to say thanks for all he has given the community. Hopefully I learn and maybe be able to adapt an use some of the characters.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Good man :)
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

braj wrote:I was looking for something that implements the techniques like this one:
You probably know that the sample anme file for that technique can be found at heyvern's website:
http://hubumedia.com/anime-studio-servi ... enu-script
braj

Post by braj »

neeters_guy wrote:
braj wrote:I was looking for something that implements the techniques like this one:
You probably know that the sample anme file for that technique can be found at heyvern's website:
http://hubumedia.com/anime-studio-servi ... enu-script
Yeah, I got that and it is helpful definitely, I need to go through the rest of the tutorial and try making it all myself, just I was looking for some complete characters. If I may request it, a complex 'default' character rig that is designed to be easily customized with some tutorial I think would be a great product.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

the problem is that it's extremely difficult to create an easily customizable 'complex' rig, especially one that is stylistically agnostic.
One of the most important things to remember is the best way to good rigs is to start with the story/scene idea - you might waste a year making a rig that you end up just leaving in a single position most of the time or cutting between views (so have several views, instead of a 'complex rotatable rig')

my advice is: learn the techniques, but start thinking about 'the bigger picture' as soon as possible