Monetizing Original YouTube Animations/Music

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Thrashador

Monetizing Original YouTube Animations/Music

Post by Thrashador »

Hey guys,
I'm curious about what it would take to earn monetization on future YouTube videos of original music and animations. It seems particularly stringent about music.

In my research, I've noticed that YouTube wants you to provide some kind of written documentation showing that you are the sole owner and rights holder of your song and visuals in order to get the videos monetized...

So, as a composer, performer, engineer, artist, animator, and editor, what exactly should I plan to produce to prove all of it is totally mine?

I've also heard that if you put the songs for sale on iTunes and other online music retailers through a service like CDBaby, YouTube gives you a hard time about the rights being yours.

Do you guys have personal experience or knowledge about this kind of thing?

Thanks!
Thrashador
2ner

Re: Monetizing Original YouTube Animations/Music

Post by 2ner »

Too bad nobody answered your questions. I would be interested. Please let us know if you find out more. Have you tried asking YouTube?
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

I don't know the nuts and bolts of their policy but I've had cartoons rejected for monetization before because of the music in them. It was original music that I had written and recorded myself. They sent an email asking for proof of ownership. I replied but they pretty much ignore you at that point. But, I've had cartoons with the same music accepted before. I'm not sure if they use some sort of music recognition program to identify songs or what, but it seems like you can get the music through the first time without a problem. I guess if you write an original piece of music for each cartoon that would work, but that's a lot of writing/recording.
You may be better off just using Youtube as a tool to direct people to your own website if you're going to post a large body of work.
Adam
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

I have been researching "creative commons" for the past couple of days. I want to use a few bars of a royalty free song as an intro for my character. I'm puzzled. Even rappers can sample music.
Cheers, Larry
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Be careful with what's announced as "royalty free". This only means the musik is not registered at RIAA or such a company, but you have to pay if you use it anyway, in most cases directly to the producer. It's a bit like stock photos. They all announce as "free", but usage costs money.

Only Creative Commons labelled stuff is really free to use. Take care about the special license in any case.

Rappers "can" sample music, as everybody can - technically. Legally nobody is allowed to do so without original artist's permission (and payment to).
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Yeah, you are allowed to use artists original music in small blocks. I know there are famous artists who only do this for a living and have been sued by the artists and lost. The thing is your only allowed to use so many seconds of content in your montage. I have no idea what the legal limits are but the guidelines must be posted online somewhere.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Thrashador wrote:So, as a composer, performer, engineer, artist, animator, and editor, what exactly should I plan to produce to prove all of it is totally mine?
Could you file the work with the copyright office and use the certificate of registration as proof of ownership?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

The thing is your only allowed to use so many seconds of content in your montage. I have no idea what the legal limits are but the guidelines must be posted online somewhere.
This is a myth (Mythbusters, did you do this already?). There is no such rule as "x seconds of whatever are always free to use". You're not safe from being sued, it just may happen that a) nobody cares, or b) your lawyer successfully claims "fair use". It's a lottery.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

slowtiger wrote:This is a myth (Mythbusters, did you do this already?). There is no such rule as "x seconds of whatever are always free to use". You're not safe from being sued, it just may happen that a) nobody cares, or b) your lawyer successfully claims "fair use". It's a lottery.
It is a changing environment in the music industry and they are having to accept fair use and sampling. There are many popular DJ's who's living depends on doing this. I saw a special on a DJ who called himself "Girl Talk" who does huge concerts and they asked him how is able to avoid being sued. He said he has been sued before and the courts have upheld his "fair use" sampling rights. Other artists now know about this and nobody sues him anymore. I found that very interesting. If you want to learn more then search [Girl Talk Fair Use Music Rights].

How Girl Talk Avoids Sampling & Copyright Lawsuits
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
Kosafwc

Post by Kosafwc »

Check this site out. Free music for commercial use. All you have to do is to credit author in your production description or/and in the credits at the end.

http://dig.ccmixter.org/free_music?dig-lic=safe

Lots of genres, I'm using it in my cartoon series Viropolis.
That1GuyAgain

Post by That1GuyAgain »

drumlug13 wrote:
You may be better off just using Youtube as a tool to direct people to your own website .
So if I have a weekly web show and hope to at least subsidize it with some sort of income, is there a safer option for uploading videos that won't be pulled? I can't upload all of them directly to my site, too much.
Kosafwc

Post by Kosafwc »

But YT is one big social media portal except of being just a video storage. You can enlarge your udience using it's features, cooperating with more popular channels. Use it.Simple redirection of people to your page is a waste of potential. Instead make them have something extra on your page, so they would come by and check the site as well. I upload my videos on my channel - www.youtube.com/drasticmouse, and then I have my website www.drasticmouse.pl where among the same videos from my YT channel i give them also funny text to read, or some contest like the one with Viropolis mug. Engage the audience. Turn it to your community and then you will monetize it nicely. It's a kinda new business model, but it is like that on Internet. Cheers.