Warping images in a vector layer background, object texture.

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JeremyLavine

Warping images in a vector layer background, object texture.

Post by JeremyLavine »

Just curious, but is there any other way to warp an image without the use of bones in AS?

Warping an image in a vector layer as a background or object texture would be nice.
Last edited by JeremyLavine on Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ErikAtMapache

Re: Could an image be warped without bones?

Post by ErikAtMapache »

No, I think bones are the mechanism used to warp images. Traditional image morphing tools would be nice though.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Depends on whether you want toward it all or just parts. I also think bones are the only way to warp parts of it, but if you want to distort the whole image, then you have the layer rotate, scale, shear etc tools.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

ErikAtMapache wrote:Traditional image morphing tools would be nice though.
That would be awesome, specially to use in conjunction with smart bones.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Even a simple grid warp with adjustable handles on each vertex would be very useful. I use a feature like this in Fusion for warping FX elements all the time--I even use it to correct or improve the performances of live actors in productions I've worked on.

Deforming with drawn splines would be cool too. (This is essentially how morphing works in many VFX applications.) I can see this form of deformation working quite naturally in ASP.

G.
JeremyLavine

Post by JeremyLavine »

Warping images, not morphing, would attract tons of users.

The drawing tools are there, just all that would need to be done is to give it warping ability once an image is imported into a vector layer as a background or object texture. You could also do traditional morphing with this even though it's main purpose is warping.

I would hype this program like crazy if it had this feature. :D
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Image warping and morphing are practically sister tools in many compositing packages--the general difference is that warping is done with a grid and 'morphing' is done with a drawn spline (usually more than one) but they basically function the same way. If you're talking about 'morphing' as often associated with the visual effect of blending between two different image sequences, it's still the same thing--you're just applying the same deformation to the two sequences and dissolving between them.

Anime Studio already has splines and it shouldn't be too difficult to give the points on a spline a range of influence like bones. A Grid Warp might be even easier to implement but it would be used for different situations.

So, for completeness, I say it would be nice to have both. :)

G.
JeremyLavine

Re: Warping images in a vector layer background, object text

Post by JeremyLavine »

Yes it would be nice to have both options, specially for an object with an image texture.

Presently texture filled objects are primitive in Anime Studio and in all other 2d animation programs, because they hide the texture when the oject is reshaped, acting like an image mask. Would be great if AS could be the first to warp or morph textures.
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

Greenlaw wrote:Even a simple grid warp with adjustable handles on each vertex would be very useful. I use a feature like this in Fusion for warping FX elements all the time--I even use it to correct or improve the performances of live actors in productions I've worked on.
G.
:!: Thumbs up smiley goes here.