General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Tonymax

V10 is here...

Post by Tonymax »

CartoonM!ke

Re: V10 is here...

Post by CartoonM!ke »

I got the e-mail too. And when I read the system requirements my spirit sank. I have an older mac and the most recent Mac OS X version I can use is 7.5. And ASP requires no less than OS X 8.0. So I'm locked out from upgrading. Until I upgrade my hardware/desktop. I wish this "little" fact would've made it to all the promo materials so my excitement would've been tempered. :(
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
"Of course I encourage kids to walk on my lawn. I mean, how else can I test out the death traps?"
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

OK, I'm out.

I'm not going to OS 8, and I don't support any software with a licence locked to hardware.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

I had it ordered, bought for, downloaded and installed before they sent me the email... heh heh heh
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

slowtiger wrote:OK, I'm out.

I'm not going to OS 8, and I don't support any software with a licence locked to hardware.
ASP's licence is a lot more user friendly than TVPaint's horrible dongle system though ;)

Out of curiosity, why are you sticking to an old OS? OS X 10.9 is free and great.

Trust me, you don't want to miss out on v10, it has some very powerful features.
exile

Post by exile »

I'm shocked to hear that a moderator can't update because of system requirements. Smith Micro, get this man a new Mac or at least a PC. My Windows 7 PC, several years old, is still ok for the new version, and the new features were too much for me to resist. I liked the drawing tools already, and the blob and point reduction are a welcome addition. I didn't need that smart phone I was saving for anyway.

So far I've just checked out the new characters in the library, and succeeded in getting the library function not to work anymore - will have to re-install unless someone can give me another idea. Restarting the computer didn't help - the library files are all there and can be opened directly, but the library button is dead. Guess that won't convince Mac users to switch to PC ...

(edited - I missed the "simple question" thread about how to use the manipulate bones tool in version 10 - we need the Alt-key for individual bones now).

There are some nice new characters in the library, especially animals. My favorite is Selgin's big bad wolf from his Earth Day animation. Great use of textures, the toy animal look makes you want to pet the character.
Steve

http://www.youtube.com/user/toonlyrics
Music Website: http://www.singadream.com
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

CartoonM!ke wrote:I got the e-mail too. And when I read the system requirements my spirit sank. I have an older mac and the most recent Mac OS X version I can use is 7.5. And ASP requires no less than OS X 8.0. So I'm locked out from upgrading. Until I upgrade my hardware/desktop. I wish this "little" fact would've made it to all the promo materials so my excitement would've been tempered. :(
Mac Mavericks is free. You can upgrade from 10.8 and 10.6x for free (snow leopard). Upgrading from Leopard requires purchasing Snow Leopard first. It also runs on relatively "oldish" systems (see list below). 5 years is an eternity in computer tech. If you are running 10.7.5 then maybe your machine can handle Mavericks. Also, Anime Studio v10 runs fine on OSX 10.8 if you don't want to go all the way to Mavericks. 10.7 to 10.8 will work.

http://www.apple.com/asia/osx/how-to-upgrade/

Mac models compatible with OS X Mavericks:

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
Xserve (Early 2009)

As for why Anime Studio is not running on those older machines... in this day and age of nearly constant daily security attacks, keeping a system up to date is a good way to go.

I can't say much about Win 8. Haven't used it yet. I have win 7 on my Mac VM. Word on the street, Win 8.1 is better, and win 9 is suppose to be more "win 7" like. I think to there are rumors MS may start giving away Win 8.1 for free to get the user base up.

Another issue relates to the development costs for Smith Micro to maintain multiple versions of Anime Studio to run on multiple versions of an OS. This would be a huge, expensive time consuming undertaking. Most modern software requires the latest OS. Why waste precious resources jumping through hoops to keep software up to date on old, discontinued, unsupported operating systems?

Whether or not other programs "run fine" on older systems is easy to say but doesn't really deal with the development issues required or the specific types of programs. Some programs require newer OS's to add new features we all want. I have all kinds of programs that have to run on the newer system.

Even the OS guys are dumping support for their own older stuff to keep down costs. Apple is not going to maintain security updates for Snow Leopard. MS is dropping support in April for XP.

If you are not updating your OS and you like everything the way it is, then keep your system the way it is, don't update your apps and most importantly I would stop using the internet. ;)

p.s. I still have every single mac I ever bought including my very first 25hrz Mac IIci, and they all still run. It's like going back in time. I have a really old mac (system 8... not OSX 10.8... actual "OS IIX") that I fire up every once in a while because it has a midi setup and software with a full size keyboard that I can't really update without spending a bunch of cash. Music is just a hobby so If it aint broke I won't fix it. These computers can't even get on the internet. The browsers available are... well... useless (IE for Mac? Yeehaa! Love Netscape!). Point is, if you don't keep up to date you will have to make sacrifices.
CartoonM!ke

Post by CartoonM!ke »

Hey Hey Vern (hmm… cartoon series title… :twisted: )

I understand and agree with each point you brought up.

To counterpoint: I can't afford a new computer.My '06 Mac Pro (Just missed the '07 models by a matter of a month!) will just have to trudge along.

At no time do I disparage any decisions that was made in the production of ASP 10, I just wish that the system requirements would've been made clear a bit earlier so I wouldn't feel so left out and deserted.

But it it what it is and in time I'll enjoy ASP 10 or 11 or whatever version is out when I can afford a new Mac.
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
"Of course I encourage kids to walk on my lawn. I mean, how else can I test out the death traps?"
tut

Post by tut »

Seriously bummed that this does not support 10.7.5.

This is the first software that I have come across that does not.

I wish I hadn't watched all those tutorials before I knew, haahaa. It kind of seems a crap move that an OS still supported by Mac isn't enough, but oh well.

Because my machine is largely used for audio, I have several plug-ins that would be rendered useless even if I move to 10.8. Until I can find workarounds I guess I am stuck at AS9.5. I hate this disposable spin cycle we are beholden too. Ba Humbug!!! On the bright side, I can take my upgrade money and find something fun that still works on my 2 year old computer.

P.S. Approximately 30-35% of the Macs out there run pre 10.8 OS
chucky

Post by chucky »

Blame Mac for not having compatibility mode. Or does it?
tut

Post by tut »

Do I have to blame only 1 company, haahaa. A new OS every year is a joke, I agree. But when you are selling software that runs on Mac, it should run on an OS that was the latest available into July 2012.

Anime Studios 9.5 worked on 10.6, so they have effectively cut 2 OS cycles in 1(1/2?) update. I guess I wasn't prepared for that. Shame on me. I'm sure I just happened to be one of the few in this situation, but it still sucks. The update is great, no doubt.
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

I hear you, tut. My older iMac is staying on 10.6.8 because of all the music software I've got loaded on it. I have updated my newer iMac to 10.8.5 and that's as far as I'll go because I hate Mavericks, no matter that it's free.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Snow Leopard was great. I have a specc'd out iMac and still not upgrading to Mavericks just yet. 10.8 working just fine.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

AS10 does work on older operating systems, but there is no technical support for issues specific to those OS. For instance, on XP everything seems to work except for the Preview Animation feature.
tut

Post by tut »

Well, this is great to hear. Now that the canary is safely out of the coalmine, I'm gonna dive in tomorrow. Thanks.