? on email on tutorials for AS 10

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

richinri

? on email on tutorials for AS 10

Post by richinri »

I just got an email about a $29 package of tutorial videos. Does anyone know if these are the same as online videos packaged for convenience? Or are these videos more involved? :shock:
Thierry_FR

Re: ? on email on tutorials for AS 10

Post by Thierry_FR »

Such, it is a good question.
They never put a video example. If this is the same as on youtube, I will not buy right? :roll:

Sorry for my bad English...

Regards,
Thierry
-------------------------
ArtRage 4
Anime Studio Pro 10
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

richinri wrote:I just got an email about a $29 package of tutorial videos. Does anyone know if these are the same as online videos packaged for convenience? Or are these videos more involved? :shock:
Who was the email from? Post the URL that's in the in the email and we can have a look see.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Fuzatron

Post by Fuzatron »

I got the email, and would like more info too. Doesn't say who did them or anything. It's from do-not-reply@smithmicro.com.

Here is the info from the email...
Anime Studio 10 Video Tutorials
These Video Tutorials were designed to help beginners, aspiring animators and digital artists learn more about Anime Studio 10. Take a walk-through of a variety of topics and features in Anime Studio Debut and Pro.

BUY NOW
$29.99

Anime Studio 10 Tutorial Content:
Over 10 hours of personal instruction.
104 step-by-step video tutorials focusing on specific Debut and Pro features.
12 Videos on Anime Studio Debut Beginner's Tools
17 Videos on Anime Studio Debut's Features
47 Videos on Anime Studio Pro's Features
28 Videos on Anime Studio Debut and Pro's Shared Features
The link just goes to the shopping cart...
http://news.smithmicro.com/c.html?ufl=b ... b082b2849c

There are going to be some upset people who pay $29 to download what they already have access to online. I can see it being useful to people who need to view them offline. If that's who they are for, I think they would make that clear :?:
richinri

Post by richinri »

Looking at the list I am guessing it is the same ones made available for those that want a "hard copy" for their own use. Hey, nothing wrong with making a buck. :lol:
knunk

Post by knunk »

It's pretty bad form I think to only provide a link to buy. Not an explanation of what the content is, or its quality. I bought tutorials in the past and yes it was material freely available online. Very naughty Smith micro.
Pesto

Post by Pesto »

I bought them with my upgrade to ASPro v10 and they are the exact same ones listed on video tutorials page. Was hoping they would be different because I could watch these online. :(

I guess now I don't have to be online

Would love to find more project based training for v10 Pro. Something like video #47 which is almost 2 hours.
Kadoogan

Post by Kadoogan »

I bought the package offered through the email and was extremely disappointed to find that they appear to be the exact same tutorials offered for free online.

I will be looking for a refund - I was already a bit upset having to pay such a large upgrade fee going from version 9.2 to 10. But I did it without complaining (until now I guess) to support the cause. This tutorial sale just comes across as a money grab.

I was expecting something different - maybe something exclusive by Victor Peredes or Mike Scott. Something worth spending extra money on, basically.

The amount of money being charged kind of threw me off. I was kind of convinced that it must be something new. I trusted Smith Micro to deliver something beyond what they give away for free. Lesson learned - now I know I can't do that with them.

I made two mistakes actually - trusting Smith Micro, and not coming to the forum to get more info first.

SO - Just to be clear - No need to buy this - it is already available for free.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Out of interest - what format are the 'paid for' tutorials in?

Are they simply .mp4 downloads?

Are they any better quality than the online ones?

I think the downloadable format could be of benefit to some people to create a reference library and/or use whilst offline. But I also think that it should be made very clear that the same content is also available for free online.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Kadoogan

Post by Kadoogan »

They definitely should have qualified that the files were the same material as the online versions.

The files are in M4V format, which is just MP4 with DRM copyright potential. Not sure if DRM is actually applied to it all or not. I think M4V is associated with iTunes, but can be played on other media players depending on whether or not DRM is applied.

The quality seems about the same as the online versions - Not enough difference to warrant the price tag overall. IMO it would have been fair to price them at something like $10 or even $15 for the convenience of having them as grouped downloads.

Maybe I am jaded by the disappointment of spending money on something already found free elsewhere. It just doesn't seem right. At least anyone going forward on the offer can potentially see how it actually works here and purchase with the full knowledge of what they will receive.
Fahim

Post by Fahim »

Yes, these videos are the same as Chad's videos that area available on YT for free.

If you've purchased them and aren't happy, please make sure to talk to Tech Support to get a refund.

The marketing info should have stated that these videos are provided as a convenience and are the same as Chad's AS 10 tutorial videos on YT. I will let them know to make that change.

Apologies for the inconvenience,

Fahim
Fuzatron

Post by Fuzatron »

Fahim wrote:Yes, these videos are the same as Chad's videos that area available on YT for free.

If you've purchased them and aren't happy, please make sure to talk to Tech Support to get a refund.

The marketing info should have stated that these videos are provided as a convenience and are the same as Chad's AS 10 tutorial videos on YT. I will let them know to make that change.

Apologies for the inconvenience,

Fahim
A company that admits their mistake, corrects the mistake, and offers a refund... Nice. I feel better about giving Smith Micro my money again in the future now :)
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I thinks that marketing and engineering are not on the same page.
Do you sell just the program or do you sell the program and the knowledge that needed to use the program?
The training cost money, So someone in marketing thinks that selling the knowledge on how to use AS will pay back the cost of the training videos, but fails to realize that with out the 'free' training videos there would very few sales of the program.

Dale
Kadoogan

Post by Kadoogan »

Agreed - I appreciate the recognition of the error. I may not take a refund, but rather use the money for something else maybe, if allowed.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I see no problem what so ever with SmithMicro E-mailing people to sell their products/tutorials. Not everyone that uses AS goes to the forums or even know it exist or have any idea who Chad is so they are unaware of the existing material.

I would guess only a small portion of AS users visit this forum and are truly unaware that they are already online for free. All SM did was package them and offer them for fee.

I knew, within a billionth of a second, when I got the e-mail that they were ones already available online.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu