creating character layers yes or no?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

phillyd023

creating character layers yes or no?

Post by phillyd023 »

I am practicing making characters and trying to get used to everything. I have started by creating characters via tracing pictures to get the feel of things before attempting my own creations.

I was wondering (for future reference) is it better to make as many individual layers as possible or as few as possible ..... for example:

upper arm / lower arm / hand / fingers
or
Arm / hand

any advice in this area would be nice!

Thanks
slowtiger

Re: creating character layers yes or no?

Post by slowtiger »

Separate layers. Can't do wrong wth that, keeps things simple, and you can always merge them into one layer later if needed.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

This is something I've been debating back and forth too. Say for the example, the arm... If you create an upper arm and a lower arm layer, depending on your art work you may also need a patch layer, so there's added complexity there (3 layers versus 1). But you can bind the bones to layers, which is less complexity. If you went with a single arm layer, it reduces the complexity of the layers, but chances are you'd have to use a smart bone for a good looking joint, as well as binding the bones to points. I don't think there's really any 1 single answer that is correct, and will most likely depend on the look of your character, and what you're going for. My issue with breaking everything down into layers is the look of it when it's done, to me it has a very distinct "cutout" look, whereas single arm and leg layers, again to me, appear much smoother and less like a cutout character.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I start out copying with a file of about 40 empty layers. Each one labeled, head, nose, ear, eye, hair etc. I don't what to stop my work flow for typing.

As far as your question on how to rig and what is the best way. The answer is: It's up to you. Knowing how the different ways to rig will help you make up you mind on just what the rig will be.

I'm having a Webinar on Sunday the 20 that will cover my work flow. (shameless pitch, I know :))

Dale
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

wizaerd wrote:whereas single arm and leg layers, again to me, appear much smoother and less like a cutout character.
There is something to be said for the way a single layer moves more naturally. Your own arm, for example, is one piece and I agree that single layers can definitely look more organic since it's the way it looks in real life.

That said, it's WAY easier to animate splitting everything up into layers, even with adding the patch layers.

Try both ways and see which you prefer both from an ease of use and a final product standpoint.
~Danimal
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Just a comment on "smooth" or "seamless" connection of parts and multiple layers.

Don't assume that separate layers means a "cut out" look.
Keeping everything in one layer to keep the character smoothly connected is not needed. you can have multiple layers and still have a character that looks like it is on one layer and smoothly connected. it's just the points and shapes that define the smooth connection of the body parts.

Most people would only have the points of just the arm for the arm layer. I use a trick where I include ALL the points of the WHOLE body on ALL the part layers.

I do this all the time. I create the entire character on one layer. It is a continuous vector shape with the arms and legs seamlessly attached to the body in one complete shape. I add crossing vectors to split out each separate part; forearm, bicep, thigh, shin etc and create all the needed shapes. I then do all the smart bones and joint rigging and set up for the whole thing on one layer.

When this is done I split the whole thing into multiple layers using duplicate layer button. One layer for each part. I then just delete all the shapes on each layer except the one needed. Since all of the points are the same on each layer it gives the illusion of a single connected shape on one layer with the benefits of multiple layers.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Here's an example of a "multi-layer" character that looks like "one layer". Every part is on it's own layer, head, bicep, forearm, legs body, etc.

You can see that the arm stretched way up appears to be one shape smoothly joined to the body even though it's two separate layers.
I used a bunch of smart bones to smooth the joints and change layer order and move bones for turns. I also use smart bones to set opacity of "overlapping" stroke and fill shapes for certain positions.