Just Upgraded! (Kill This Topic)

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Markster

Re: Just Upgraded!

Post by Markster »

I tried the demo of ASP10, it's awesome, it's a lot better value than Flash, but I still think the price could be lower, that's why I go for slightly older versions.

I can't wait, my brand new copy of Anime Studio Pro 9.5 will be here tomorrow!
Yosemite Sam

Post by Yosemite Sam »

sbtamu wrote:
Markster wrote:I have a trial version of Pro 10 on my computer, 27 days remaining now, it is indeed better than Pro 8 and 9.5, but I don't think it's worth upgrading yet, I just bought Pro 9.5, I'll wait a couple of years before I make another upgrade, I'll wait until version 11 or 12.

I'm good for now. :)

Also, why don't Smith Micro lower down the official price of Anime Studio Debut and Pro, since Pro 9 the official price of the software was 299.99$, Pro 8's official price was 199.99$, way overpriced IMO, I think Pro is worth about 79.95$ and Debut is worth about 29.95$
For what AS 10 Gives I personally think it is under priced.
Completely agree!
Jimmy Mills

Some of my Moho Pro work.
My Demo Reel: https://youtu.be/_kSCno4Wd3c?si=gNT7d27R7sM4jjqq
Buddies Ep 4: https://youtu.be/f8Zbzo2mpHA?si=4EyxhBOrgOxkDoSO
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

Markster wrote:Also, why don't Smith Micro lower down the official price of Anime Studio Debut and Pro, since Pro 9 the official price of the software was 299.99$, Pro 8's official price was 199.99$, way overpriced IMO, I think Pro is worth about 79.95$ and Debut is worth about 29.95$
You're joking, right? Have you checked the competition? Anime Studio Pro is still waaaay below the price of the competition, is extremely easier to use, and has features the higher priced competitor products don't have at all. And you think this is only worth $80? Really? Even at it's current price, with it's feature list and capabilities, it's under priced.
erikk

Post by erikk »

I've got to agree too, AS10 is an amazing upgrade and while 9.5 was great, 10 is a significant improvement. My workflow is much smoother now.
Markster

Post by Markster »

Let's not argue too much, ASP10 is extremely powerful and it's better than Flash in price and features IMO, I just don't think it's worth 299$, no program should cost that much, at least it don't cost 600 or 700 like Flash does, lol, ASP destroys Flash.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Markster wrote:Let's not argue too much, ASP10 is extremely powerful and it's better than Flash in price and features IMO, I just don't think it's worth 299$, no program should cost that much, at least it don't cost 600 or 700 like Flash does, lol, ASP destroys Flash.
You obviously know very little about the cost of developing software, but the fact remains, it cost allot!

About a month ago I took a look at the latest Toonboom Animate Pro, which is developed here, and although some of its features are very tempting, especially for hand drawn animation, I can produce a ton more with Animate Pro then I will ever can with Animate Pro, which cost 700 $!

There is a price for everything, and that price is usually based on the time and effort put in a product, and in that aspect I believe that ASP is rather cheap at 299 $.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

wizaerd wrote:Anime Studio Pro is still waaaay below the price of the competition.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
Markster

Post by Markster »

GCharb wrote:You obviously know very little about the cost of developing software, but the fact remains, it cost allot!
Not really, I know for a fact that it doesn't really cost you anything to produce software, I'm no programming guru, but I do know that C++ is free (most of the time), Linux is free, Blender is free, GIMP is free, etc.

I ain't saying that all software should be free, I'm just saying that Anime Studio could cost less, and don't get mad at me just because I think Anime Studio could cost less, 299$ is not that bad of a price for what you get, I just think it should of stayed at about 199$ like Pro 8 and below.

Darn, I didn't create this topic so we can all argue you know?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

InfoCentral wrote:
wizaerd wrote:Anime Studio Pro is still waaaay below the price of the competition.
In my opinion, TB Studio competes with Debut, which is 49.99 $, while TB Animate Pro (700 $), competes with Anime Studio Pro (299.99 $), and even then, none of the TB products have the tools that makes Debut and ASP so good, like point animation!
Markster wrote:
GCharb wrote:You obviously know very little about the cost of developing software, but the fact remains, it cost allot!
Not really, I know for a fact that it doesn't really cost you anything to produce software, I'm no programming guru, but I do know that C++ is free (most of the time), Linux is free, Blender is free, GIMP is free, etc.

I ain't saying that all software should be free, I'm just saying that Anime Studio could cost less, and don't get mad at me just because I think Anime Studio could cost less, 299$ is not that bad of a price for what you get, I just think it should of stayed at about 199$ like Pro 8 and below.

Darn, I didn't create this topic so we can all argue you know?
I never get mad over software, but I like a good argument, and if You start a thread, You have to expect a response! ;)

The truth is that the cost of software development has nothing to do with the tools used to develop it, it has to do with man hours!

If your engineers spend thousands of hours developing a software, it has to be taken into accounts, same thing with support, manuals, samples, and all the mechanics around it, not to mention a profit margin.

Now, and unless you know the cost of developing Anime Studio, You cannot seriously say that 299.99 $ is too much, or too less for that matter.

For me, it was worth the price raise, as the software got tons better, but this said, you are of course entitled to your opinion on the subject!
Last edited by GCharb on Sat May 17, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Markster

Post by Markster »

Wow, Toon Boom Animate Pro makes Anime Studio Pro look ultra cheap, who in this world would spend 700-1100$ on a animation software???

I'm glad I bought Anime Studio Pro instead of Flash or TB, maybe 299$ is a good price, but I still think Smith Micro should price ASP at 199$.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I know for a fact that it doesn't really cost you anything to produce software
Except a whole life to aquire the skills to do it. Yeah, that's nothing. Go and insult a developer today!

You don't know anything about developing. Funny that you call ignorance a "fact".
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Markster

Post by Markster »

I WAS TALKING ABOUT PRICE!!! NOT WORK!!!!!

You're wrong, I am an indie game developer, I spent several months developing, I know a little something about development.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Then you should definitely know better than to write such utter nonsense.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Markster

Post by Markster »

Forgive me, I know that professional programmers work very very hard on programs, when I was saying that it costed nothing to develop stuff, I was talking about the price of software, not effort, I guess in a way it would cost you money to dev since they have to pay for some things, such as computers and internet.

Let's all just stop fighting about price and upgrade now, this topic wasn't intended for that.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Markster wrote:Forgive me, I know that professional programmers work very very hard on programs, when I was saying that it costed nothing to develop stuff, I was talking about the price of software, not effort, I guess in a way it would cost you money to dev since they have to pay for some things, such as computers and internet.

Let's all just stop fighting about price and upgrade now, this topic wasn't intended for that.
Then you have to consider all that hard work when You decide on a price for a product, and as I said, unless You know exactly how much Anime Studio cost to develop, You just cannot argue on how much it should cost!

Also, You are arguing that the software should cost less because there are some free tools available, but these tools may be good for open source development, but usually these are not the best, far from it, like Gimp, which is a good free tool, but does not hold it against Photoshop at so many levels, like Blender, which I love, but does not hold it to tools like 3DS Max for game development!

You obviously don't know much about GFX and game development, and You sort of argue like a child, no insult intended, things just don't work that way in the real world!

Anime Studio is the best 2D animation tool I have used in ages, 35 years experience 2D animator here, and the power it gives, and the rate at which it is developed, in my opinion, makes up for the low price any time!