A question regarding new 10.1 functionality

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

minigendo

A question regarding new 10.1 functionality

Post by minigendo »

Greetings,

My apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, but a casual search did not turn up anything.

I'm currently using Anime Studio 9.5, but was alerted via email of the 10.1 update. Among the features listed for the 10.1 update was FBX export. I can't seem to find any other information on the feature though. To ask then, what is FBX export, and what does it allow you to do?

My thanks.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: A question regarding new 10.1 functionality

Post by Víctor Paredes »

It exports your character animation as a fbx file, so you can import it to Unity (among other software) to use it for videogames.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
minigendo

Post by minigendo »

That's really interesting.

Is there any documentation on this feature? I'm very curious about how it's been implemented. Fbx files typically let you embed animations as well. However, it's hard to see a vector based character being exported, since that would seem to require specific behaviors on whichever program was doing the importing.

My thanks for your reply.
Fuzatron

Post by Fuzatron »

The FBX support is a pretty exciting new feature :D I haven't played with it enough to pass final judgement, but it looks like it has a LOT of potential if they keep developing it. That's not to say it's not production ready now, but i think i'm still going to need to buy Spine to meet my immediate needs for getting a 2d animated character into Unity(??) ...Would love to see an in-depth tut on adding AS to a Unity development pipeline.

The only documentation i've found is in the new manual. It covers it fairly well. It explains what will not export, and tells you to use VIEW->PREVIEW MODE to get a better idea of what you will actually be exporting. There are no export options to control how dense the mesh is and whatnot.... From what i can tell so far, it basically makes a grid of triangles for each body part and offsets their depth... Pretty impressive what they managed to do, really :D

The mesh of one of the legs in my test files was missing some polys along where the kneecap goes when i opened the file in Unity. It was admittedly a messy file. And if i start with a fresh file targeted at FBX output i could probably make things work much more smoothly. Running some tests through Unity along the way would definitely be a good idea.