Hardware Comparison - Unexpected Results

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

highrise955

Hardware Comparison - Unexpected Results

Post by highrise955 »

I recently was able to get my hands on a Dell XPS-8300 i7-2600 to compare its speed to my Dell XPS-8300 i5-2320.

Both machines used the same 16Gb of RAM as well as the same video card, PNY GeoForce GT 430.

After installing ASP 10.1 on the i7 system I tested it using a few of my larger animation projects. I compared the time for bringing up a project, editing a project, previewing a frame, and most importantly, rendering the projects in various formats.

Surprisingly, the i7 was not even a little faster than my i5.

Does that mean it's really all about the graphic card when it comes to speeding up ASP? If that is the case, what do you guys recommend?

Does anyone know, besides the obvious upgrading of my graphic card, what else I can do to my i5 to speed up ASP?
ErikAtMapache

Re: Hardware Comparison - Unexpected Results

Post by ErikAtMapache »

The latest version of AS does use your graphics board to speed up the interface. To speed up the interface at work time, you could reduce the display quality by going to the right side of the timeline, clicking on the Display Quality button, and unchecking some options. This won't affect the final movie render, just the workspace.

Good luck