SVG Import Vector Size

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ptkcbmanimator

SVG Import Vector Size

Post by ptkcbmanimator »

I'm having a problem importing SVG files originating from Adobe Illustrator CC.

I have successfully exported the Illustrator layers into separate SVG files. The SVG files are the correct size and resolution. However, when I import into Anime Studio Pro (v10.1), although the vectors import, they are not the correct size in relation to each other. Almost as if AS imports them at the full resolution of the vector file.

As a workaround, I could resize the vectors once in AS but that's a little tedious (but the solution I'm leaning towards right now).

I checked these forums and I made sure the Illustrator file is 72dpi and the I tried UN-checking the AS preference "Auto-scale imported vectors". When I imported after doing the latter, the imported vectors were huge, much larger than the AS document. Theoretically, I could imported the Illustrator 8 version, duplicate and delete shapes, duplicate and delete (as suggested in another forum post) but that's not entirely ideal either.

I'm relatively new to AS so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Since I'm more experienced with Illustrator, I was hoping to continue vector development in that application and then migrate to AS (as opposed to Adobe Flash) for animation tasks.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
heyvern

Re: SVG Import Vector Size

Post by heyvern »

This is a long shot but it might work.

Each layer of your illustrator file saved as SVG contains artwork that is different sizes correct? It sounds as if the "bounding" area of the SVG is determining the import size so they don't match when imported into Anime Studio.

What you could try is to draw a box that encompasses all the artwork on all the layers in Adobe Illustrator. Copy and paste that same box on all the layers. When exporting the individual SVG layers as separate files for import into Anime Studio, include that bounding box. This might force the import to keep everything the same size. Each layer/file would contain artwork that has the exact same maximum bounding area because of the outer box on each layer.

-----

p.s. I actually use this same trick in Anime Studio for character layers. I copy a box to each vector layer of a character. This vector box is big enough to surround the entire character. Then if I need to scale each layer the same amount, that box is included when selecting all the points so the scale is always centered correctly and each layer scales from the same origin.
ptkcbmanimator

Re: SVG Import Vector Size

Post by ptkcbmanimator »

That's a great workaround - thanks for your help!