Export animation doesn't render brushes

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

p8guitar

Export animation doesn't render brushes

Post by p8guitar »

Brushes are not rendered correctly when exporting an animation in Anime Studio pro 10. I just see a thick line instead of the brush. I tried to export as .png or .jpg picture or as Quicktime H.264 movie, no brushes can be seen.

Is this a known bug, or am I doing something wrong?

This is a little disappointing after 6 hours work on the brushes…

Peter
(Schenker W507, i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, Windows 10, Moho Pro 13.)
hayasidist

Re: Export animation doesn't render brushes

Post by hayasidist »

(windows system) -- never had any trouble with brushes .. do you have "apply shape effects" selected in the export options?
p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

yes, I have apply shape effects selected.
Maybe this problem is with OS X only? I use 10.8.5.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

hmm ... is it just your custom brush or is it all brushes? and does it show up properly in the viewport (when you have "brushes" checked in Display Quality)?

If you {want / are in a position} to upload a sample shape and brush that fails for you, I'll gladly try it out on a windows system.. other than that it'll be down to a mac user to step up ...
p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

It is all brushes, not just my custom brushes. I can see the brushes in very good quality, but the don't get rendered.
exported animation as .jpg:
(Schenker W507, i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, Windows 10, Moho Pro 13.)
p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

I hope that it is possible to download the .anme file. After downloading you have to change the suffix from .txt to .anme
http://www.moonbike.de/anime/brushes.anme
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Ok ...

the brushes you've used are not AS standard - but if I edit the .anme to reference AS brushes rather than the named ones you have, all works fine. So I'm guessing that you've not put the custom brushes in the right place for AS to find them ... check that you have and that you've got AS pointing to the right custom folder. (Help / open custom content folder).

If you have got them in the right place ... then maybe ...

... in the file you sent, the big curve in the middle has two shapes defined on the same set of points. What this might mean is that you've done the same with other paths in a different file... so you have 2 shapes - one with a brush and one without - sharing the same points. And so the default AS line simply swamps the brush whether the brush shape is on top or underneath. Select a shape and then press cmd/down arrow or cmd/up arrow to move through the stack of shapes on that path.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

On a mac here, no problems with brushes rendering.

Your problem might be the "double shapes" as mentioned previously. Your custom brushes could be rendering but are covered up by the second shape.

As for the path to the brushes in the file format... hmm... I don't see a problem there except that the brushes in the file format aren't in my installation of Anime Studio. The paths to custom brushes are correct but "Brush032_0_45_100.png" doesn't exist in my copy of Anime Studio so it isn't loading. Is that a custom brush or possibly from an older version of Anime Studio? Brushes are not saved in the file. They have to be in the application brush folder or the custom content brush folder.

To demonstrate the possible brush width issue, here is a random brush added to one of the top shapes in your file. I changed the color so I could see it. You can see the width is not enough to extend beyond the bottom shape... very much... so it's hardly visible in the render when both strokes are the same color.

I this image I increased the width of the top shape in stroke shape style. Now it extends beyond the lower shape.
p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

I only used "standard" brushes in this example, I didn't create them myselves. So if these brushes are not standard, they might be from an older version and the installation of Anime pro 10 is corrupted in some way? Weird.
These are just .png files, why does Anime Studio have difficulties rendering them, even if they are not the default ones?

I deleted the double shape in the middle. But there are no more double shapes in the project. When I delete the other shapes, I don't see a double shape underneath.

Where can I find the "custom content brush folder"? I only know the folder in the application (contents/resources/support/brushes).
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I may have a workaround but don't know what caused the problem to begin with. It may be a corrupted file, or some issue opening older files in the new v10.

I have versions of Anime Studio back to v9.2.
This file was created originally in an older version of Anime Studio. The names of the brushes are the same as the v9 version. In v10 it appears they changed the names of brushes. Opening an old file in v10 "should" change those brushes to match the v10 version. I did several tests of this and it works fine. I set brushes in a v9.2 file, check the name of the brush in a text editor, open it in v10, save it, and the names "change" to match those in v10.

for whatever reason there is some issue or problem with the file you are working on where this is not working. Never saw this before and I don't know why it happened.

The steps below should "fix" the brush issue BUT it will strip out new v10 features as it requires exporting to v9 and reopening.

In v10 your files won't display or render the brushes.
Open the "broken" file in v10, and export to v9 with a different name.
Open the exported v9 file in v10 and the brushes should be displayed and render correctly.
Save this file and the brush names in the file format update to the new names for those brushes in v10.

To get back any "new features" of v10 that were lost, you could import just the fixed vector layers with working brushes into the "broken" brush file.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Nice catch Vern! The workaround you proposed works fine here too...

Another snippet: downloading the file -- and not touching it with AS -- then viewing the directory (windows) the thumbnail _does_ show brushes!

OP said ALL brushes, custom and "standard" were affected ...
p8guitar wrote:Where can I find the "custom content brush folder"? I only know the folder in the application (contents/resources/support/brushes).
from the menu bar: Help / Open Custom Content Folder (unless you haven't set it up yet, in which case: Help / Set Custom Content Folder)

@p8guitar: Something to try: run AS10; select a brush and look at the brush name that appears in the dialogue window.. is it something like Brush501... or is it Brush001.. (i.e. does the number start with a 0 or a 5?)

A thought .. would adding custom brushes to the AS "program" folder somehow mess up the conversion??? or maybe the AS10 installation is still accessing the AS9 brush folder???

With the "recovered using Vern's method" file open in AS10, I copied an AS9 brush to the AS10 main folder and then reloaded (ctrl/alt/shift L)-- that caused the viewport display to lose the brushes ... (render is OK though!)
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I also thought that somehow ASP 10 was accessing another version folder but it isn't.

Obviously the brushes names were changed between 9 and 10, this means that SOMEWHERE, in some string file or something in the application is some sort of "conversion" list to swap out the names of brushes for backward compatibility. Also there is some sort of process during the opening of the file to convert to v10.

If something weird happens and this conversion doesn't go correctly then the old name is "stuck" in the file and the brush doesn't work just like a custom brush you created yourself that is missing from the brush folder. Once the file is saved as v10 with the old reference Anime Studio isn't going to "update" the file and old brush names.

Same thing happened to me ALL THE TIME with custom brushes I made myself when switching to a new version. I would forget to copy over my custom brushes to the new installation. Ever since the custom content folder was added to Anime Studio that almost NEVER HAPPENS because the custom folder is never touched during an update. I just point the new version to the old custom folder. I LOVE THE CUSTOM CONTENT FOLDER! ;)

It seems to me the safest thing to do is to created the custom folder and use that ONLY for custom items like brushes. It's the safest most reliable and easiest way to keep track.
p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

Hey Vern, Hey Hayasidist,

thank you both very much, you are incredibly helpful and nice. I've never seen people put so much effort into helping someone on a forum!

Today I luckily learned two things from your suggestions:
1. I have to save my own brushes in the custom content brushes folder. Now they get rendered!
2. All brushes who's names start with the number 5, like "Brush535_0_0200.png" are rendered, the other brushes aren't.

I see a double set of brushes in the brush chooser that look the same, but their file name starts with 0, like "Brush029_0_080_200.png.". All these files are older than 09.Oktober 2013 (I can see this in the AS program content folder). They don't get rendered and I suppose they should better be deleted.

I'm very glad that the problem is solved, because I urgently needed to do the rendering for a birthday present. Just in time... 8)
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

the Brush0xxxx are the legacy ones from AS9. My guess is that your own upgrade process involved copying your custom material into the "program" folder rather than your own custom folder and the legacy brushes got caught up in that ... so - yes -- SAVE your own brushes somewhere safe and copy them into the custom folders; then delete them and the Brush0xxx ones from there (and the same for any custom scripts etc)

or, having first set up (and backed up!!) your custom folders, un-install and re-install AS10?

and glad to help!
Gamexanime

Post by Gamexanime »

Hello!

I had the same issue and I figured out the solution that worked for me.

Anime Studio 10 does not export animations directly. The export is done by Anime Studio Exporter which uses its own brush folder.

When exporting an animation, ASE will look for the custom brushes in its own brush folder. If the brush doesn't exist there, ASE will just replace it by a flat line.

In order to solve this, you just need to locate Anime Studio Exporter custom brush folder.

Duplicate your custom brushes into the brush folder of Anime Studio exporter. Do not rename the brushes that you copied, nor the duplicates!

When you will export your animation, all the brushes will be properly rendered in the video.

I hope that it helped.