Creating a Walk Cycle for Character Animation

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

toshiyori

Creating a Walk Cycle for Character Animation

Post by toshiyori »

Watching the tutorial for the above mentioned subject there is a place where the instructions are not clear. For example: as attached, "Add Key Features", "Cycle Interpolation" Image Image Image
sbtamu

Re: Creating a Walk Cycle for Character Animation

Post by sbtamu »

So, what is your question?
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
toshiyori

Post by toshiyori »

My questions are: where do I get: "Add Key Frames". "Cycle Interpolation". These are the points (according to the tutorial) for making a character do a walk cycle across the screen.
tonyg

Post by tonyg »

right click in the timeline where you want to add any keyframe.
Right-click the keyframe to select cycle
sceech

Post by sceech »

Hi
I just sent you a "walk cycle" message on your other Forum posting, which should get you a walking character in about 10 minutes, and hopefully an understanding of how to build your walks easily going forward. It's simple and fast to build a walk, and easy to edit if you need to tweek it.
Dave
sceech

Post by sceech »

Hi
Also, when you set up your walk, you'll be better off by perfecting his walk in place, including starts and stops, then just animating the Character Layer to move across the screen, that way you can control his location, speed and starts / stops by adjusting the Layer points back and forth in the Timeline, giving you a lot of precise control. Add Keyframe, btw, is also available as a pulldown in the Animation menu. Cheers.
sceech

Easy Walk Cycle - takes 10 minutes

Post by sceech »

Here's a copy of the reply I sent in your other post....

In a one-second walk, there are 5 basic positions, or keyframes.
STEP 1
Frame 1 (R foot full forward, L foot full back)-both feet touch-add Keyframe
Frame 12 (L foot full forward, R foot full back)-both feet touch-add Keyframe
Frame 24 (same as Frame 1-just copy 1 to 24)

STEP 2
Frame 6 (passing position-raise whole body a bit-L foot to 90 degree)-add Keyframe
Frame 18 (passing position-raise whole body a bit-R foot tp 90 degree)-add Keyframe
STEP 3
At Frame 9 and Frame 21, you can tweek the forward foot to create a realistic "kick" of the foot.

To Start/End Walk
Select the entire animation in the Timeline, move it forward 6 frames (Frame 1 is now on Frame 6, etc).

To get your character to start a walk, stand him at attention at Frame 1. (i/e copy Frame 0 to Frame 1)
To end a walk, stand him at attention at Frame 36. (copy Frame 0 to Frame 36)

Rule to start /end a walk: You can end the walk off either foot. Just stand your Character at attention 6 frames before/after ANY FULL EXTENSION POSITION in the walk cycle. (and Keyframe it!).

Do everything in this sequence and you won't get crossed up. It's easy to rebuild if you screw it up (5 minutes).
You can continue the walk by copying and pasting points, or create and save it as in Actions.

(If you copy and paste points, you need to skip the end frame and stop frame for the "loop". Delay putting on the end "stop" pose until you are sure of your number of walk steps needed.) You'll get the idea from this, then you can start to "stylize" your walks. Walking up / down stairs uses the same principles. Compress all points in Timeline for faster / slower walk speed.
Have Fun!

Dave

sceech
toshiyori

Post by toshiyori »

You stated: "I just sent you a "walk cycle" message on your other Forum posting". Could you please tell me the "Forum Posting" ? I cannot locate this posting.
sceech

Post by sceech »

I just copied and posted it here. It's right above you!
sceech

Fast Character Build Shortcuts in Character Wizard

Post by sceech »

Hi
I saw an older post you had about the Character Wizard. For human characters, there's an easy workflow for fast "character builds". It goes like this:

WORKFLOW CONCEPT:
Use Character Generator to SHAPE and COLOR the BODY, EYES, MOUTH of a Character, design the face AFTER.

1) Open Character Generator, pick the closest looking Preset to what you want
2) get Character body proportions shaped how you want your Character's body
3) set the head shape and size, select and set eyes, color skin, color shirt and pants, select "Reference" for shoes
4) examine all six views to your satisfaction, set the walk and MOVEMENTS how you want them
3) before importing it to your project, SAVE it as a "Preset" for use as a future template (click "+" at top of CG screen)

Your job after is to:
a) create a face you like (3 views, only 3 layers to modify, the "Head" vector Layer within each view's Head Group)
b) shape and color the shoes (easy, just add and drag a few points, color)
c) put fine touches on the "mouth set", add eye expression details

Your Character is already boned and has a walk that you already approve of!
Need a second Character? Use the Preset you just made as your template, modify and save that as a new Preset, color and modify body shape,you're in business now with 2 Presets as your backups in case you make any mistakes, or future templates. Be sure of your Character's skin color before export (recoloring all the hand positions-two hands-is a nightmare if done later). I have more tips on easy realistic mouth sets, eye movements, and facial movements, with minimal work.
Let me know, hope it helps!
Dave