key sharing

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

superonIII

key sharing

Post by superonIII »

heyhi, can someone tell me how cool it is if i share my key code with other people (so they can use the animestudio pro that i've purchased), how many people is this cool for and any other useful knowing about the general coolness of this practice?
thankies
synthsin75

Re: key sharing

Post by synthsin75 »

Sharing your serial number is illegal and theft. DO NOT DO IT!! You could be subject to legal action.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

read the licence: "Subject to the terms and conditions of this EULA and your payment of the applicable license fee, SMSI grants you a limited, personal, nontransferable and non-exclusive license (without right to sublicense)".

assuming that your "london" location is London, England: take a look at: http://www.fast.org.uk/
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Why is this in Share Your Work? Also, why do you ask when you're undoubtedly going to do it anyway?
~Danimal
superonIII

Post by superonIII »

if you must know, and it seems you must, i'm asking because i have a friend that i've given the disc to so they can get used to the way anime studio works, it's coming to the final few days of its trial period and they're now trying to explain to me why it isn't illegal for me to give hime the activation code:/

using such great logic as
"Considering this is a legit copy that works in both mac & pc I'm struggling to understand why you can't pass the key on. It's not as though that should I enter said key your copy will stop working."
"It can't be illegal as you bought it. It consisting of both copies. The key is universal - works for both." (i use mac software but they use pc)
"And it's not sharing. The software is yours, both versions."
and
"Consider you gave a mac and pc at home. You buy this software and luckily it comes with ability to install on both mac and pc. So you follow suit and install on Mac, enter key and it works. Then you put it on your pc (perhaps a laptop so it easily transported between home and office). That same key will work. It's not piracy as it's the original disc with original key. It'd a mo brainer surely. I'm trying to say it's allowed, it's legit, no criminality whatsoever."

so i post here so that other people can have their say, as i'm obviously so bad at explaining things to people that they just assume i'm talking nonsense.

i posted here because it's about sharing, which is the essence of this post. if wrong, let me know where's right:)
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

superonIII wrote:i posted here because it's about sharing, which is the essence of this post.
If your friend used your copy on your computer in your house when you're not using it and because you're such a nice guy, that would be sharing. If your friend is using your copy on his computer with your serial key, that's stealing. There's no grey area, he stole it. Consider that anyone trying that much to convince you has obvious ulterior motives: he doesn't want to pay when he can bilk you into letting him steal.
superonIII wrote:if wrong, let me know where's right:)
The General forum would make more sense. This forum is for people to post the animations they've made. This thread really should be moved.
~Danimal
superonIII

Post by superonIII »

Danimal wrote: If your friend used your copy on your computer in your house when you're not using it and because you're such a nice guy, that would be sharing. If your friend is using your copy on his computer with your serial key, that's stealing. There's no grey area, he stole it. Consider that anyone trying that much to convince you has obvious ulterior motives: he doesn't want to pay when he can bilk you into letting him steal.
thanks, was beginning to think i'm schizophrenic and they're one of my alternate personalities. i did think of suggesting that maybe they give me their pc...

also re: wrong place, please move me if worthy;)
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

superonIII wrote:i did think of suggesting that maybe they give me their pc...
And then you give it back? Still theft.
~Danimal
superonIII

Post by superonIII »

Danimal wrote:
superonIII wrote:i did think of suggesting that maybe they give me their pc...
And then you give it back? Still theft.
no, no mention of give it back, just give, but if i did give back i'd unregister the software of course;)
thanks all for replies and responses.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Your best bet is to suggest buying his own copy. If he continues to push the issue, drop the bum. Not much of a friend.
~Danimal
superonIII

Post by superonIII »

Danimal wrote:Your best bet is to suggest buying his own copy. If he continues to push the issue, drop the bum. Not much of a friend.
thanks for the advice, though i'll not be dropping friends just because i think they're being an idiot, if i did i'd only ever have a friend for maybe 15 seconds;)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Regardless of the legality issue, by giving your friend the software and key code, you've given up at least one of your personal software activations. By design, a single license can only be activated on three computers at one time. In the future, if you need to reinstall Anime Studio after a computer failure or you need to install it on a new computer, you may be out of luck.

Also, technically the software can only be run on a single system at a time. I know with some software I use, if I accidentally leave it running on one computer and try to launch on a second computer, the second instance will request that I close the first instance before I can run it on the second computer. 3D-Coat, for example, works that way. I'm not sure if SM's license server checks for that but this is the reason why such annoying (to the legitimate user) security measures get put in place by developers.

Just sayin'. :)

G.
superonIII

Post by superonIII »

well worth knowing, thanks:)
though just to make sure people know, i've not given anyone my key code (seems like some people think i have)
Greenlaw wrote:by giving your friend the software and key code, you've given up at least one of your personal software activations. ... G.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

superonIII wrote:heyhi, can someone tell me how cool it is if i share my key code with other people (so they can use the animestudio pro that i've purchased), how many people is this cool for and any other useful knowing about the general coolness of this practice?
thankies
If you want to share your work with another person or friend who doesn't have Anime Studio. They can get a trial version:
http://my.smithmicro.com/anime-studio-pro-10-trial.html

And you then can send them your files. The trial version will run your stuff. But your friend will not be able to save or render with out a watermark.

The credit card thing sucks but the program is theirs not yours to give or sell. You only own what you have made with it.

Dale