AS11's new FBF layer versus already existing Switchlayers

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: AS11's new FBF layer versus already existing Switchlayer

Post by Víctor Paredes »

braj wrote:FWIW I really appreciate the new feature, a lot of the FBF stuff that most users will do in AS will be for effects that are not conducive to cutout animation. That said, it would be great to have an option when creating a new layer in the FBF folder to use a specified folder as a template, then you could have the folder set with all the masks and stuff you personally need, and every new frame would just place an instance of that folder in line. Would that work for you guys?
You could create a template file with all your needs and save it on "Templates", inside your AS content folder. Then you could create a new file based on that template (File > New from Template) or import it anytime you need.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

selgin wrote:That's not even necessary :)
In the FBF layer proprieties there's a checkbox to enable/disable the "Frame-by-frame drawing".
Ah, okay, thanks. As mentioned, I've yet to play with this feature but this is good to know before I start. :)

G.
braj

Post by braj »

selgin wrote:
braj wrote:FWIW I really appreciate the new feature, a lot of the FBF stuff that most users will do in AS will be for effects that are not conducive to cutout animation. That said, it would be great to have an option when creating a new layer in the FBF folder to use a specified folder as a template, then you could have the folder set with all the masks and stuff you personally need, and every new frame would just place an instance of that folder in line. Would that work for you guys?
You could create a template file with all your needs and save it on "Templates", inside your AS content folder. Then you could create a new file based on that template (File > New from Template) or import it anytime you need.
Yeah, but what I mean is that each time the FBF 'new' button is clicked, a defined 'template' layer is inserted. I don't know how well that could work in practice, it still sounds cumbersome and it seems like doing FBF on more than one layer in AS is still going to be a chore, but it would be a quick way of inserting a new frame with your custom setup easily.

I just did a test, and what you can do is create a folder all set up as you like it as a template, drop that into the FBF folder, highlighht it in the timeline, then use 'duplicate frame' to get a new complex layer for that frame inline. I haven't messed about with making a good workflow, but it does seem something could be done to get the functionality. You need to allow drawing tools on all frames though. Does that make any sense?

*EDIT* that is cumbersome as hell, much easier just to duplicate the frame in the folder view, which makes FBF just like it would be in switch layers. Oh well, not an issue for me, but my bright idea wasn't so bright after all.
Last edited by braj on Fri May 29, 2015 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
braj

Post by braj »

For myself, the new feature as-is is a wonderful addition, I'm really not complaining. :D
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

selgin wrote:A frame (or key) on a frame-by-frame layer have no "duration" value. It simply will be visible until the time you add another frame.
Thanks selgin. I think you're saying the keys are just like switch frame keys, which makes sense, and you can move them left and right to re-time.
chucky

Post by chucky »

sargumphigaus, this was exactly how I originally thought, until I realised you could sync the layers with referencing.
It really is brilliant and behave just as you are thinking it should.
Really the tutorial on FBF should have explained this upfront , rather than it being a 'hidden ' feature.

I actually made a video explaining all this yesterday but missed this entire discussion until now.
Here is the video and a template with 2 FBF groups and BG with a spare one if needed.

Of course at this time it is better to have the references in place before drawing , otherwise you have to delete drawings and such.
That is why the template is so useful.

FBF Template zip

I hope you enjoy the frame by frame feature now it is clearer.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Thanks for the video and template chucky. Looks like a good basis for a nice FBF workflow.
chucky

Post by chucky »

No worries , Actually I just updated the template to include masking and a highlight layer.
I will now do a video to explain in more detail how to use FBF and take advantage of all the features available without head scratching and headaches.
I will post it as a new topic, maybe it will be a sticky.
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

chucky wrote:No worries , Actually I just updated the template to include masking and a highlight layer.
I will now do a video to explain in more detail how to use FBF and take advantage of all the features available without head scratching and headaches.
I will post it as a new topic, maybe it will be a sticky.

I appreciate this. Reference Layering is a little tricky to learn, I'm not quite there yet, but it's definitely giving me hope. When I finally get my head around this, I'm going to do some serious Frankenstein experiments on it.

on an unrelated note, what program are you using to make those screen recording videos? I was thinking of grabbing one.
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

Also about that webinar i keep hearing about, I won't be able to watch it when it gets streamed, but will it be posted afterwards?
chucky

Post by chucky »

I'm using active presenter, it's free, bbut high capture rate really messes with the freehand drawing in ASP so watch out for that. ALso I can see by your enthusiasm for FBF that freehand is for you, keep the freehand settings to highest fidelity, keep merge strokes on, and use gpu acceleration.
Actually you might want to get that template again, I made it a little more useful.
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

chucky wrote:I'm using active presenter, it's free, bbut high capture rate really messes with the freehand drawing in ASP so watch out for that. ALso I can see by your enthusiasm for FBF that freehand is for you, keep the freehand settings to highest fidelity, keep merge strokes on, and use gpu acceleration.
Actually you might want to get that template again, I made it a little more useful.
NOTED! thanks for the advice.
braj

Post by braj »

That's really great Chucky, I'm going to try that. Thanks for the video.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

hayasidist wrote: ... have FBFs in a Group; and you can create copies of FBF groups by reference. But those approaches are not terribly effective for all sorts of reasons - e.g. you can't use masking exclude strokes at the group level...
chucky wrote: ... you could sync the layers with referencing. Here is the video and a template with 2 FBF groups and BG with a spare one if needed.

Of course at this time it is better to have the references in place before drawing , otherwise you have to delete drawings and such.

Great video and very useful template Chucky, and it's exactly as I said: FBF by reference in a group - but the OP wanted to be able to use the sort of masking and blending that you can get from vectors in a group and switching those groups - IOW what I think is wanted is (say) frames 1-5 are each a group in a switch that use normal blend mode; frames 6-8 use masking and multiply blend mode; then back to "normal" for frame 9 on...

Building on your template, I think this could be done by having a few extra referenced groups and manually switching visibility e.g.
> GROUP
>> SWITCH strokes
>>> FBF strokes (inc by ref from baseline) (normal blend) (active in frames 1-5 and 9...)
>>> FBF strokes (inc by ref from baseline) (multiply blend) (active in frame 6-8)
>> FBF fill (inc by ref from baseline)
>> FBF baseline

but IMO that's a bit cumbersome, and there may be performance issues with all those referenced groups...

so the more I think about it, the more I think that the FBF "Group" should behave more like a vector layer than a switch group... for sure it's based on "switch" under the hood, but in the UI it wants to be Vector (so, e.g. we can get all the vector masking options...)??
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

sargumphigaus wrote: but will it be posted afterwards?
They always have been previously, generally within 2 days.
~Danimal