Freehand in 11 is better but still not good enough.

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

John Lancaster

Freehand in 11 is better but still not good enough.

Post by John Lancaster »

While it feels much better now there are some issues...

1. non-uniform-resolution
The closer you zoom in, the more effective points the lines you draw will have. This is inconsistent especially when you zoom out, the lines you draw will look bad and somewhat pointy. There must be a uniform-resolution

2. No resolution option
I can not control how many points will be in a line. Currently it feels like it's not enough, I render out drawings and they look too pointy. There must be an option to control this. NOT smoothing, that also messes with the line, there needs to be an option simply for resolution, like in flash.

3. Pressure sensitivity issues. Even though I have width variation set to 100%, the line wont actually go below a width of 1, this makes tapered ends look not right. No I will not use the taper ends option, I don't always need tapered ends! It needs to be able to go below 1, to almost practically 0.

4. erasing stokes does not seem to have a size option, and it simply removes the nearest points which is not the best way of doing it. Erasing needs to create new points at the edge so that when you erase you can be really precise.

5. The freehand tool is a pencil tool not a brush. There must be a brush tool.
The freehand tool makes lines from linear points. A brush tool makes lines from linear shapes. Take the blob brush for example. That is a real brush tool, what you draw has actual thickness. For this reason the actual erase tool also works well and as expected for this tool.

Make a new brush tool. This tool would have the same type of settings as the freehand tool but would work like the blob tool. You can not use the blob tool currently in this way, it's just not accurate enough and it's slow. Basically you'd rework the blob tool to be and feel much better like the freehand tool. This would be ideal. You would need similar resolution options however.