Windows 10??

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Brooke

Windows 10??

Post by Brooke »

I am thinking about upgrading to windows 10 in the future.

Does anyone know Will ASP 10 or ASP 11 be compatible????

Thanks
Brooke
braj

Re: Windows 10??

Post by braj »

It better be!
mclinton

Post by mclinton »

I'm using ASP 11 on Windows 10 Preview and it works great.
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

I don't see how it wouldn't be. and if it somehow wasn't, I'm sure smith micro would patch it right away.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Anybody know if ASP 11 looks better on a high-density screen in Windows 10 than it does in Windows 8? I'm seeing clipped text and lists, and other odd UI issues--it's not unusable but it does make ASP 11 look a bit unprofessional on this screen.

(ASP 11 on a lower res screen like 1920 or less, and on Windows 7, seems to be fine though. The problem is just on a super high res screen and I think only with Windows 8.)

G.
Dalv

Post by Dalv »

I'm sticking with Windows 8.1 because I fear ASP 9.5 and many other older applications not working. However I'd still like to know if older versions will work on it because I'm sure we'll be forced to upgrade to Win10 at some point.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's probably wise.

In the meantime, you should still reserve your free copy of Windows 10. You'll get the next year to decide if you want to install it. At that time, you may still choose not to install it but afterwards you'll need to pay for a Windows 10 upgrade if you want it.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I decided to upgrade the Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 to Windows 10 today. So far, it seems to be alright.

Before installing, I installed and ran a free program called EaseUS GoBack. This is tool that gives you single-click rollback from Windows 10 to your previous OS if you should change your mind. Even though Windows 10 also gives you the option to go back to your previous OS, the native feature expires in 30 days. GoBack, however, will continue to give you this option beyond this time period.

One thing to remember: If you have software that requires web deactivation before moving to another computer, be sure to deactivate before upgrading. Windows 10 apparently changes the system enough that some licensing systems think you're using a different computer. I remembered to do this for Anime Studio Pro 10 and 11, ZBrush, 3D Coat, Toon Boom Storyboard Pro 4 and Animate Pro 3. The one I missed was Magpie Pro and, sure enough, the Win 10 upgrade broke the license. (I'm in contact with the developer now about releasing the license so I can reactivate it.)

Wonder what else is broken. :roll:

Other programs that didn't require deactivation (Vegas Pro, Manga Studio, Fusion, ...) seem to be fine.

I haven't done much yet with Windows 10 but I did play with the drawing feature in the new Edge Browser. Not sure that will make me switch from Firefox but it is pretty neat.

The new Startup menu is still crap but StartMenuX seems to be working fine in Windows 10. I got rid of the native search window in the task bar because it was taking up way too much space on the task bar and forcing my favorite program icons off screen. Besides, StartMenuX already has this feature so it was redundant for me.

Photoshop still looks too tiny but I haven't tried messing with Windows 10 UI scaling yet. I doubt that will matter with PS though--I think this is an issue Adobe has to address. At least After Effects looks fine and I think they fixed the UI issue with Adobe Character Animator (Preview 2) I mentioned a while back.

To keep this on-topic for this forum, I launched Anime Studio Pro 11. The OS upgrade didn't solve any of the UI problems with ASP 11 mentioned elsewhere but I didn't expect it to either. Hopefully the AS devs will solve these problems soon.

Other notes:

I made sure to deactivate CACAni before installing Win 10. CACAni is not Windows 10 compatible yet but the developer says an update is coming soon.

The whole Win 10 upgrade process took less than an hour. I went outside to do some yard work for an hour and when I came back in, the installation was done.

G.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

I've switched to Windows 10, both from Windows 7 on 2 of my computers and it seems to be working fine, with respect to running programs like ASP 11, Manga Studio, Corel Painter Essentials 5 etc. I have seen some funkiness with the windows explorer, but otherwise things look good.
Dalv

Post by Dalv »

Curious if anyone has tried ASP 9.5 on Windows 10? Know most people have moved on to ASP 10 and 11 but I'm cheap.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Coincidentally, I had to install 9.5 on my Wacom this morning. It has the same UI scaling issue on this tablet computer as AS 10 and AS 11 has, but otherwise 9.5 seems to function as well as it did in Windows 7.
Dalv

Post by Dalv »

Greenlaw wrote:Coincidentally, I had to install 9.5 on my Wacom this morning. It has the same UI scaling issue on this tablet computer as AS 10 and AS 11 has, but otherwise 9.5 seems to function as well as it did in Windows 7.
Thank you for the feedback