Need new video card, any suggestions?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

braj

Need new video card, any suggestions?

Post by braj »

I don't know what the performance improvement in ASP will be with a new card, I have a quad-core i7 3.4 tower with lots of space for a new card. I am on a budget though, would this work well, and how well? Do you have any better suggestions? I don't really play games so this is just a general card for video work, I just don't want to go too cheap, and can't spend too much.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.as ... P4-3748-KR

I am replacing an anemic Radeon 6450 that is prone to overheating. I would be going from 1GB to 4 GB of RAM.

My budget is 'as cheap as possible.'
sargumphigaus

Re: Need new video card, any suggestions?

Post by sargumphigaus »

I was using this program for the longest time with a gtx 760 and had very little problems with the program. I tend to bloat my files, so there tends to be some issues here and there but that's more cpu oriented. For the most part, it ran without a hitch. The I would consider though, and this is just me, is that the 700 series are becoming more and more obsolete these days, what with those titan x's and those 900s and the R9 300 series. Not necessarily to claim that it will stop you in its tracks, but it is something to think about.

regardless, I found you the same product for 20 dollars cheaper. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... lsrc=aw.ds

30 dollars even, if you do the mail in rebate.
braj

Post by braj »

sargumphigaus wrote:

regardless, I found you the same product for 20 dollars cheaper. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... lsrc=aw.ds

30 dollars even, if you do the mail in rebate.
That's a 2GB card, not 4 ;) I'm putting it into a 3 year old PC, I do think it is a big step up from what I have, which stability is the main issue really, if it didn't occasionally crash the system I would be OK with the performance, all things considered.
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

aw dude, you're right. my bad. hahahaha. Well for what it's worth, that 760 I was using was only 2 gigs.
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

either way, if you're not familiar with newegg.com, browse around there for awhile. you can micromanage your gpu selection down to the last detail. that website is like a candystore to me.
kitzeldikatz

Post by kitzeldikatz »

braj wrote: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.as ... P4-3748-KR

I am replacing an anemic Radeon 6450 that is prone to overheating.
This one is even slower than the iGPU if you believe passmark:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.p ... on+HD+6450 score: 288
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.p ... el+HD+4400 score: 543
Plug your monitor into the iGPU connector, enable it in the BIOS and see if it is faster.
Play with the " GPU" setting to see if there is a significant difference in speed.
If you don*t see a difference then don't bother buying a card. There is often the recommendation to switch off GPU acceleration to make ASP work anyway.
I doubt that lots of video RAM will make a difference here.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Got a GTX 960 4GB here, nice all around card, You can get it around 220$
braj

Post by braj »

I'm assuming more ram will help with rendering speed. Is that a safe assumption?
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

braj wrote:I'm assuming more ram will help with rendering speed. Is that a safe assumption?
Ram is specifically used for memory so that's very unlikely. Rendering is more a CPU function.
braj

Post by braj »

Well, alright then. It doesn't seem that I will get much better performance in ASP by spending more, so I'll likely be ordering the GT 740, I'm not a much of a gamer so that will be enough, if it helps ASP then great, if not, I won't have spent too much.
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

how much higher would you be looking to spend beyond the 120?
braj

Post by braj »

sargumphigaus wrote:how much higher would you be looking to spend beyond the 120?
120 is the psychological limit that can make it past my wife before she balks at the price. I would rather spend 99 ☺
braj

Post by braj »

I also deleted the catalyst profiles for my current card and now it isn't crashing, so far, and if it stays stable I may wait and look for a sale. So right now I'm in no hurry.
braj

Post by braj »

But I would like to know how video cards affect performance of ASP11 in general. If it were a big issue I imagine there would be more of a discussion here but it is seldom mentioned.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

braj wrote:But I would like to know how video cards affect performance of ASP11 in general. If it were a big issue I imagine there would be more of a discussion here but it is seldom mentioned.
ASP is using GPU to accelerate some stuff, mostly bitmap images.

Other then that, and unless other parts of ASP gets accelerated, this is pretty much it.