AS Pro runs EXTREMELY Slow - Windows 10

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Kedric

AS Pro runs EXTREMELY Slow - Windows 10

Post by Kedric »

What would cause Anime Studio to run EXTREMELY slow?

I just bought a beast of a computer with Windows 10 and AS Pro 11.

I run all kinds of 3D animation, video, and sound editing programs with no issues. I can play Metal Gear Solid 5 with Top settings.

. . . but Anime Studio is worthless. Even drawing simple shapes causes constant freeze-ups. I've tried turning on and off GPU but it changes nothing.

Any ideas? My guess is that it is a AS 11 or Windows 10 compatibility issue.
Kedric

Re: AS Pro runs EXTREMELY Slow - Windows 10

Post by Kedric »

Update: I just installed AS 9.5 and 8 . . . they are going just as slow as 11. What is going on? It doesn't make sense for these programs to work better on my pathetic 6 year old computer. Any ideas?
chucky

Post by chucky »

I just made a very complex and detailed short film in ASP with literally hundreds characters in single shots, utilising almost every feature and very heavy ones at that, all in windows 10. I was surprised by what I could throw at it,

Here is an example of a scene. keep in mind that this was a long trucking shot with a huge a huge amount of particles and animation, all rendered in a single pass, My computer is 0K, but my .GPU is only a GTX 760
I am not suggesting that there is anything wrong with your computer; but something sounds amiss. Maybe try a reinstall,
I do think your post is a bit harsh and your have 'probably blurted in harmful way without good cause

Last edited by chucky on Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

Kedric, nobody else seems to be experiencing those issues, so it all seems to be pointing at something on your computer.

Chucky: That's a beautiful scene alright!
Barry Baker

Post by Barry Baker »

Wow, Chucky, that scene looks wonderful!
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

That's a beautiful render, Chucky. I really like the use of colors.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Kedric wrote:I've tried turning on and off GPU but it changes nothing.
There are two places you can turn off GPU acceleration: in the Preferences dialog, and in the Display Quality popup at the bottom-right corner of the canvas. If you turn it off in Display Quality, Anime will draw everything in software, but it still uses the GPU to display the final result on the screen. Try turning it off in Preferences and restart Anime Studio for good measure - then it'll be fully off.

If this speeds things up, then it points to your OpenGL drivers not being up-to-date. See if you can install some newer drivers from your GPU manufacturer.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Thanks guys,
I'll let you know more about that piece when I am allowed to.
Hey Kedric , how did you go? Did you work it out?
I hope so, computers are strange beasties they can be pretty random at times , defying all logic.
gdub

Post by gdub »

I had a similar problem with slowness but it was just with a particular file, not with my computer at all. Turned out that one of the vector layers was somehow corrupted. I couldn't delete a gradient color. I just deleted the vector layer, and that fixed the problem. My file was no way near as complex as yours though, so it wasn't too hard to isolate which layer was the culprit.
Kedric

Post by Kedric »

Chucky, that shot is amazing. Seriously Anime Studio? Wow. My post was harsh? “Worthless” was describing a program that was not running efficiently. That was not directed toward you or anyone else. I’m sorry.

I figured out what the issue was. In my Nvidia Control Panel, Anime Studio was set to run on my integrated Card. I switched it over to my Nvidia processor and now the program is running super smooth!!! I’m back to working at full force again.

Thanks to all who responded.
Kedric

Post by Kedric »

Okay, I was wrong.

What that did do was making playing and rendering extremely fluid. I mean, I can play straight through with no freezes or anything. I can play everything at High Preview Quality. It doesn't matter if I have 8 video files, 3D objects, and 100 layers . . . it's working fine both with and without GPU acceleration.

The problem is using any of the tools. As soon as I try to move, resize, draw, ANYTHING, the program freezes up between every 2-4 clicks. This happens on all version of AS I own. I don't think this is a rendering/graphical issue. Even if all I have in the program is a single mouth switch layer; it glitches upon moving, re-sizing, etc.

Any suggestions?
Kedric

Post by Kedric »

So I was just going crazy . . . why is this every 2-4 clicks? What the heck? Then it dawned on me . . . the program Auto-saves every 2-4 clicks. So I turned off auto-save . . . no issues. I finished animating this file in about 10 minutes without the problem recurring.

So it appears either something is wrong with my Hard Drive or the auto-save feature is glitching.
chucky

Post by chucky »

That's great Kendric, I'm really glad you worked it out.
Auto save huh?
It's funny, almost all programs that use that feature suffer from some kind of glitchiness when it is enabled, well spotted.
I generally turn it off , I've often wondered if there could be a way to let users know that it is actually auto saving, after all , when we manually save we get an indicator. Methinks you might have pointed out a valid opportunity for ASP to lead the pack with an autosave indicator. What do you think?
Kedric

Post by Kedric »

I like you chucky,

You've got a collaborative spirit and help people you don't know.

I think that is a good idea . . . but I don't think the connections I have in Smith Micro are the right people to tell for that. It would have helped me identify the problem much earlier.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That does sound odd. I have my Auto Save on all the time and it doesn't seem to affect performance. However, in the 3D animation program I use, the auto save feature there can drag down performance if it's saving files across a network or wifi. That doesn't sound like your setup though.

Anyway, glad to hear you narrowed down the cause.

Slightly OT but I wish ASP had the option to perform an incremental auto save.

G.