Issue with Display Quality & GPU Acceleration

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Billybeanbag

Issue with Display Quality & GPU Acceleration

Post by Billybeanbag »

I am running ASP 11 on a brand new Macbook Pro with an AMD R9 Graphics card and if I select GPU acceleration in display settings all the vector shapes lose their curves and revert to straight edges during playback. Has anyone else had this issue? I assumed with the graphics card in the macbook and this box ticked the playback would be improved.
synthsin75

Re: Issue with Display Quality & GPU Acceleration

Post by synthsin75 »

This is a known issue. It won't effect rendered animation.
Billybeanbag

Post by Billybeanbag »

Do you know if this known issue is a conflict with this graphics card in particular or El Capitan or on all Macs etc
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

No, I have a GeForce GTX 970M on a Windows 8.1 Alienware gaming machine, and I see that problem too. I'm not sure, but this may have been a compromise between GPU acceleration and trying to achieve real-time playback on average graphics cards.
Billybeanbag

Post by Billybeanbag »

So I contacted their support to check and they were very helpful. This is from the reply:

I spoke with the engineers and this is what they have to say:

In GPU mode, vector shapes need to be diced up into triangles. This can get expensive, so despite the speedup of the GPU, we lose time chopping everything into triangles. During playback, to limit the slowdown, the triangle breakup becomes coarser – fewer triangles means it goes faster, but looks more faceted.

This is a known issue with the GPU mode. It affects large shapes with few points. With more complex artwork this isn’t as noticeable. Turning off GPU mode in the Display Quality panel will make this go away.
END QUOTE

So basically, although GPU acceleration helps in most cases, this is one of the cases where it does the opposite, as GPU acceleration would actually take more processing power and thus slow down the preview animation. So the problem isn’t with your GPU specifically, but all GPUs in general under this particular situation.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Thx for taking the time to further inspect, this information was new to me.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5