Overlapping bones with images

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

wizaerd

Overlapping bones with images

Post by wizaerd »

When using vectors, it's easy enough to bind to layer and/or points, so when overlapping your arm over your chest, only the arm is affected. If you use bind to layers for an image based character, this also is possible, but it also requires breaking everything down into specific layers. Such as hand, forearm, and upper arm. But what if I want my torso to be one layer, and the whole arm as a layer, but would like to use region binding for the different arm segments... Is there a way to restrict those bones, which are not using bind to layer, only affect that actual layer? (I hope I'm explaining this well enough)...
slowtiger

Re: Overlapping bones with images

Post by slowtiger »

No, region binding is not possible for images because an images doesn't have regions. In this case the wording is a bit misleading, since region binding more exactly should be called "binding of selected points", and an images doesn't have points.

However, you could use flexi-bind perfectly well with images. Make sure to check "warp with bones" in the image layer tab, and use bone offset. This means you place the arm a bit away from the torso, create the bones over it, adjust bone strength (all this while testing with the z tool), then grab the top bone of the arm with the offset bone tool and place it at its final position.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

Thank you... Just for the sake of clarification, region binding doesn't use the bone strength shape to define the region?

I'm gonna have to re-fresh myself on ASP, it's been a while since I last used it... I have a training course from InfiniteSkills that covers version 10, which no doubt should cover these types of bone definitions to refresh myself with. Now if only there was one for the new features in version 11... ;)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

No, region binding makes the selected group of points a rigid shape.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

For images, you want to use the 'Bone>Use selected bones for flexi-binding' on the layer with only the bones you want to effect it selected.

While points influenced by only one bone region will move rigid with that bone, overlapping regions will move in a flexible manner. And yes, region binding does use the bone strength influence. Only point binding ensures rigid point movement, just like layer binding is rigid layer movement.